Carnival Cancellation Insurance

aberthelot

I think each person has to weigh the odds they think they have of cancelling. I got insurance once, my fiancee's father died and the insurance did not cover my trip of over $1000 because I was not related to his father.

I do not puchase insurance since then, except once, when I had a TA that seemed iffy, but I got it to protect me from the bad TA not from the thought I would cancel.

Now Im self insured and take the chance.. and have had to eat it a few times, like my 2nd pax cancelled with ES rate.. I went solo.

You'll have to decide if you are safer/more-comfortable with some kind of trip insurance. You can probably afford a cancelled cruise - you would probably be insuring more for the costs of a medical problem or an evacuation problem.

I personally would not recommend Carnival's Policy (if that's your question) as the Medical and the EVAC coverages are opretty low - you can generally get higher coverages and lower premiums via the 3rd Party Insurers like CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured, etc.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car CDW coverage!!!

ken

I think each person has to weigh the odds they think they have of cancelling. I got insurance once, my fiancee's father died and the insurance did not cover my trip of over $1000 because I was not related to his father.

I do not puchase insurance since then, except once, when I had a TA that seemed iffy, but I got it to protect me from the bad TA not from the thought I would cancel.

Now Im self insured and take the chance.. and have had to eat it a few times, like my 2nd pax cancelled with ES rate.. I went solo.

Thanks for the advice...wow, do you have all of those cruises booked????

You'll have to decide if you are safer/more-comfortable with some kind of trip insurance. You can probably afford a cancelled cruise - you would probably be insuring more for the costs of a medical problem or an evacuation problem.

I personally would not recommend Carnival's Policy (if that's your question) as the Medical and the EVAC coverages are opretty low - you can generally get higher coverages and lower premiums via the 3rd Party Insurers like CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured, etc.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car CDW coverage!!!

ken

Thanks Ken! We are covered out of country. I was just worried about possible cancellation.

Thanks Ken! We are covered out of country. I was just worried about possible cancellation.

I suspect most of the Trip Insurance premium is for the costly Medical/Evac coverages versus the relatively minor Trip Cancellation coverages. In your situation with out-of-country medical coverage, you could settle for a less expensive policy with minimal medical and evac coverage(maybe TravelEx Basic or IMG Patriot or TravelInsured Lite).

Check your Credit card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Baggage loss/delay coverages, which might be adequate. My WorldMastercard has minimal (but adequate for me) coverages.

Also, Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage is usually limited to reasons stated in your Policy, so you might want to compare the Cancellation sections of various policies for the widest range of reasons or at least the reasons you might consider more likely.

ken

Hi, do you recommend getting the cancellation insurance?

I never cruise without the full insurance coverage .

I've know of too many people that have lost money on trips/cruises that they couldn't afford . The older you get the more insurance becomes important. Just my thoughts.

I never cruise without the full insurance coverage .

I've know of too many people that have lost money on trips/cruises that they couldn't afford . The older you get the more insurance becomes important. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, I will talk with a TA!

I too do not cruise without insurance. I actually used it last cruise for a trip to the ship's doctor for sinus infection. I got a check back for more than what I paid for the insurance, so I felt good about it.

With 2 little girls and sickly parents I can't afford not to have a "back-up". This time I went through a TA and got a different insurance- "Travel Guard". This 1 covers "pre-exisiting conditions" (Carnival's does not I believe) and it was a bit cheaper than Carnival's. The TA was a recommendation from my mother in law who she used multiple times.

Absolutely!;)

Definitely!:D

Certainly!:rolleyes:

Of course!:eek:

The day before one of our earlier cruises, my DH had a heart attack while filling up our car on the way to the port!

Filled out all the paperwork, including hospital records, and we got a full refund, minus the insurance premiums.

We NEVER cruise without insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had never had any indication of heart probs before this time.:eek:

Figure out which policy works best for your travel before you book.

Carnival insurance is VERY overpriced for most passengers. Carnival charges the same price for every customer, regardless of age. If you are under the age of 70, it's a safe bet that Carnival insurance is not the best option for your needs. If you are over the age of 70, it might be cheaper to book the insurance with Carnival.

Travel Guard is almost always the cheapest option for familes with children. Why? Because children under the age of 18 are free. I recently insured my entire family of 5 for $113 with Travel Guard. That was for $1,000 each for 9 days. ONE person would have cost $160 through Carnival for less coverage.

If you are adults under the age of 70, traveling without children, use http://www.insuremytrip.com/ to find the best option.

Another tip is to always purchase insurance at the highest amount possible before the next rate change. Do NOT underinsure, since most companies won't cover your medical expenses if you are underinsured. It's ok to overinsure, so it's worth getting the most insurance possible without changing the premium. For example, My entire trip for 5 of us came to $2,200; however, I was able to insure each of us for $5,000 at the same rate. Now in the case of a claim, I would of course be limited to reimbursement for our ACTUAL loss, which will be less than the $1,000 per person. However, having the extra insurance available could help us if we end up with unexpected losses not related to the actual cruise cost.

Hello: When we bought Travel Guard...we thought it would be good. We had to cancel because my husband was on Life Support for a few days after a procedure. Unfortunately, Travel Guard said that it was a pre-existing condition and we lost almost $2,000.00. We also bought our cruise through Cruise. Com...and we called and advised them of my husband's condition...they were supposed to call Carnival and cancel for us. Well....Carnival put us down as 'no shows'! So....I will never buy Travel Insurance again...and especially not through Travel Guard! Just my honest opinion......

Hello: When we bought Travel Guard...we thought it would be good. We had to cancel because my husband was on Life Support for a few days after a procedure. Unfortunately, Travel Guard said that it was a pre-existing condition and we lost almost $2,000.00. We also bought our cruise through Cruise. Com...and we called and advised them of my husband's condition...they were supposed to call Carnival and cancel for us. Well....Carnival put us down as 'no shows'! So....I will never buy Travel Insurance again...and especially not through Travel Guard! Just my honest opinion......

Travel Guard specifies at the time of purchase that pre-existing conditions are only covered if the policy is purchased within 15 days of the initial cruise deposit. Sounds like this is a case of not reading the policy prior to purchase.

And not cancelling the cruise is the fault of your TA, not Travel Guard.

Absolutely!;)

Definitely!:D

Certainly!:rolleyes:

Of course!:eek:

The day before one of our earlier cruises, my DH had a heart attack while filling up our car on the way to the port!

Filled out all the paperwork, including hospital records, and we got a full refund, minus the insurance premiums.

We NEVER cruise without insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had never had any indication of heart probs before this time.:eek:

Hi,

We had cancellation insurance for our first cruise. My question was, should I use the Carnival insurance. We are going to take the same route as the first cruise. We have company health insurance and that is supposed to cover us as far as illnesses go.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it!

Archived