Which is cheaper, Galveston or New Orleans?

We are choosing between two identical itineraries on the Mariner out of Galveston and the Navigator out of New Orleans next March. We have 7 people in our party and after looking at the Galveston threads, it appears to be quite costly to get from airport to Galveston. Which of the two ports would be easiest to get to and from the airport and cheapest? What hotels would be best to stay in the night before embarkation?

Thanks!

Options on getting from the airport to downtown are here:

http://flymsy.com/PageDisplay.asp?p1=6016

Unlike Galveston, New Orleans is a major tourism city with dozens of hotels in the CBD/Warehouse District close to the port and the French Quarter. There are other threads at this site with lists of hotels with cruise parking deals. None are really cheap, but unless there is some major event in town (and Mardy Gras will be over by March), there are some good deals to be had if you do a little research.

And NO is a lot more fun than Galveston.

Options on getting from the airport to downtown are here:

http://flymsy.com/PageDisplay.asp?p1=6016

Unlike Galveston, New Orleans is a major tourism city with dozens of hotels in the CBD/Warehouse District close to the port and the French Quarter. There are other threads at this site with lists of hotels with cruise parking deals. None are really cheap, but unless there is some major event in town (and Mardy Gras will be over by March), there are some good deals to be had if you do a little research.

And NO is a lot more fun than Galveston.

I have to disagree with you and say that Galveston Island is a major tourism city. Tourism is the livelihood of Galveston! It all depends on what the poster wants in their destination city. We don't really care for the "party" atmosphere of the French Quarter and would rather have a "family" atmosphere. For more info on what is available on Galveston go to www.galveston.com. Just MHO!

I have to disagree with you and say that Galveston Island is a major tourism city. Tourism is the livelihood of Galveston! It all depends on what the poster wants in their destination city. We don't really care for the "party" atmosphere of the French Quarter and would rather have a "family" atmosphere. For more info on what is available on Galveston go to www.galveston.com. Just MHO!

I agree it's all relative!

Galveston has 32 miles of beach at your doorstep on Gulf of Mexico,

and many varied tourist attractions.

And Galveston has the second largest historical preservation foundation in the US.

And Galveston's port is at the Gulf's edge!

One can party anywhere! Even on the ship!

As example

See Moody Gardens

See Pleasure Pier

See Galveston Historical Foundation

See 1894 Grand Opera House

See Galveston.com

See NASA space center

See Kemah Boardwalk

Old Town and Port Area

Seawall Blvd.on the Gulf

These are only a few of the many many venues, festivals, weekly events, occurring all the time in Galveston.

Galveston is a destination also!

I agree it's all relative!

Galveston has 32 miles of beach at your doorstep on Gulf of Mexico,

and many varied tourist attractions.

And Galveston has the second largest preservation foundation in the US.

And Galveston port at Gulf's edge!

As example

See Moody Gardens

See Pleasure Pier

See Galveston Historical Foundation

See 1894 Grand Opera House

See Galveston.com

See NASA space center

See Kemah Boardwalk

Old Town and Port Area

Seawall Blvd.on the Gulf

These are only a few of the many many venues, festivals, weekly events, occurring all the time in Galveston.

Galveston is a destination!

Are you really stating that Galveston is as much a tourist magnet as New Orleans?

Are you really stating that Galveston is as much a tourist magnet as New Orleans?

Heck no as I said

"its all relative"!

I have enjoyed NO for what it is,

but love Galveston for what it is also!

It is a destination also with alot to offer!

Have sailed from both ports and used Houston and NO airports. The cab fare for 2 from MSY to hotel zone was 37.00 and 20 minutes. Cannot remember the price from HOU to Galveston but the drive was 1 hour.:eek:

I would choose NOLA in a heartbeat! Fun city. :)

Have sailed from both ports and used Houston and NO airports. The cab fare for 2 from MSY to hotel zone was 37.00 and 20 minutes. Cannot remember the price from HOU to Galveston but the drive was 1 hour.:eek:

I would choose NOLA in a heartbeat! Fun city. :)

Hobby Airport with mary carriers is 30 minutes from Galveston .

Hobby Airport with mary carriers is 30 minutes from Galveston .

This is absolutely true! It's a MAXIMUM of 30 min drive from Houston Hobby to Galveston...about 1 hr. 15 min. to Bush Intercontinental Airport on the North side of Houston. Also announced by the City of Houston today, they will be letting Southwest Airlines build a terminal and security gates for international travel from Hobby Airport. That will be SO much easier flying to vacation destinations!

Hobby from the Northeast was so much more expensive. Galveston port is great for locals who can drive to the port. To bad the Houston cruise port was a bust.They lost out on the cruisers from afar.

That's strange...when I have flown from Maryland and other locales in the NE US, Southwest has always had the best deals. I looked today at flying United (formerly Continental) out of IAH in Houston and it was $100 more than Southwest. So that surprises me that flying into Hobby would be more expensive, especiall with with SWA, Air Tran, Jet Blue and Frontier all flying into Hobby.

We can't walk to Galveston, but can sure be there in a very short drive. Given that, we always drive to NO and cruise from there. IMO NO is much more tourist oriented and friendly. More to do, both sightseeing and dining. If you've never been there, you can spend a day or so seeing Galveston, but it is not walking friendly. In NO, I can spend a week and not do it all, walk to 90% of what I want to do. To each his/her own.

We can't walk to Galveston, but can sure be there in a very short drive. Given that, we always drive to NO and cruise from there. IMO NO is much more tourist oriented and friendly. More to do, both sightseeing and dining. If you've never been there, you can spend a day or so seeing Galveston, but it is not walking friendly. In NO, I can spend a week and not do it all, walk to 90% of what I want to do. To each his/her own.

To each his/her own is correct. Both cities offer different experiences. NO is LOW on my bucket list. Been there, done that and don't want to go again. I love the restaurants but don't give a hoot about going out at night to bars. Seen all the historical sites and am through with it!

• 4 weeks later...

This is kinda like asking which one, Pepsi or Coke....but my vote goes to Galveston. We always drive down, which may help. We fell in love with galveston...so are kinda partial. Not that NO doesnt have its merits too...and some very unique spots to see and expierence. Guess its just whatever floats your boat!!!....And by the way...its Pepsi for me:)

we sailed from both galveston and NO,

for me, the flights to NO were much higher than to hobby

but in galveston it was more expensive to get from the airport to the pier 100/ each way for 3 of us

but the hotels seemed to be cheaper in galveston also

its kinda a toss up

i would research it ,hotels ,transportation etc,

and then decide, thats how i did ours,

Archived