Flanders Fields tour from Brugge

We are spending 3 days post cruise in Brugge and would like to take a tour of Flanders Fields. Has anyone taken one of these tours? I have tried to contact one tour operator but they are non responsive. We would prefer a small group tour but interested in any recommendations.

Thank You.

I used to drive coach-loads of kids on Western Front visits, so I know my way around - but I'm no Western Front expert.

The tour company suggested by BS goes to all the right places, way way way way way (no, my computer isn't stammering) better than ship tour itineraries that I've seen.

And, irrelevant to the OP but worthy of note for a port-of-call visit, they operate vans so it shouldn't be difficult to get together a vanload of ship-mates for a private tour - their stock seat-in-van ex-Brugge itinerary wouldn't get cruisers back to the port in time.

By Belgian standards, their prices are reasonable too - and probably cheaper by booking a complete van.

Hiring a car plus driver wouldn't save money, but if there are four of you do consider a self-drive car. Not recommended for day-visitors, but it would give you much greater flexibility and much lower cost. Getting lost once or twice (guaranteed :D) is part of the fun.

The "Flanders Fields" museum is in the magnificent Cloth Hall in Ieper town centre - it was virtually flattened by shelling during WW1, the iconic stump features on photos & postcards, but it was then faithfully rebuilt to its former glory.

But the museum in the Hall is going through a major make-over, it's been closed for months & will probably still be closed for your visit.

The Passchendaele Memorial museum at nearby Zonnebeke is an excellent substitute.

Remains of the trenches & mine-craters (Sanctuary Wood at Hill 62 & the Menim Road at nearby T'Hooghe on that itinerary) give a feel for front-line conditions during the war, but ship tour itineraries that I've seen stick solely to cemeteries & museums.:confused:

The Last Post, 8pm every evening at the Menim Gate, is very simple but very moving. The size of the crowd varies enormously - from just a few dozen (no atmosphere) through to jam-packed/difficult to see anything.

Probably not worth the extra cost if you're paying a driver or guide for the much longer day

BTW, "Ypres" is the french name for the town & used during WW1.

"Wipers" was the nickname used by tongue-tied tommies.

"Ieper" is the old flemish name, revived after the war, & used on maps, etc.

JB :)

Thanks JB,

We will be staying in Brugge for 3 days mid July and are looking for a tour that departs from that city. I have already done a lot of research. We will not be at the port and are travelling by train, trying to avoid renting a car. I was hoping to get a recommendation for an excellent guide or tour operator from someone who has taken a great tour. We are history buffs so are very interested in this area.

-Caroline

In April we took a half-day tour with Salient Tours and were very pleased with our experience. But we had a car and made our own way to Ieper (stopped on the way from Brussels to Bruges).

I recall that our hotel in Bruges had a poster for a Flanders Fields tour from Bruges. Maybe you could check with your hotel for a recommendation.

We lived in Belgium for 3 1/2 years in the mid-1990s and I heartedly endorse John Bull's recommendations -- make sure you can visit the trenches. The loss of life during months of fighting over stretches of land that could be measured in feet not miles is sobering. Add to that the quite frequently crappy Belgian weather (not so much in the summer:)) and it is amazing to think what those soldiers endured.

I think my 25 year old son - who spent his 5th grade 'overnight' field trip in Flanders is one of the few of his generation that really appreciate it -- and all because the father of an elderly teacher had actually served there and she shared his correspondence and memories with a bunch of 10 year olds. I'm so glad she did.

Archived