Monarch of the Seas, A quick review (maybe)

Hi folks. At the request of another Cruisecritic member I posting a quick review of my May 18th, 2012 3 night cruise on the Monarch of the Seas. This is also my first review so bear with me. Here we go:

Pre Cruise:

I flew into Orlando the night before and stayed at the Oralndo Airport Hyatt. A very nice hotel and great for just getting off a plane after a day of travelling. Had dinner in McCoy's Grill inside the Hyatt and then had a couple of adult beverages while people watching from my atrium baclony.

Day 1 May18th:

I had pre-arranged transport to Port Canaveral with Cocoa Beach Shuttle with a 10am pick up at the Hyatt Hotel. Round trip cost was $68. Cocoa Beach Shuttle pulled into the hotel at 10am sharp! I was the last pick up so my bag was loaded and we were on the way with one stop at the Kennedy Space Center first. We arrived at Terminal 10 at Port Canaveral at 11:30 on the dot. As I made my way through security the announcement was made that boarding was begining. I made my way to the Platinum check in line and was checked in and on my way onbaord. I was crossing the boarding brow at 11:45am, just 15 minutes from arriving to boarding the ship. Upon boarding the crew were advising cabins would be ready at 1pm, so I headed to the Windjammer for lunch.

After lunch I walked around the ship for a bit, Monarch is pretty much identical to the Majesty of the Seas which I have been on twice. There are just a couple of small differences between the two ships. I then made my way up to the pool deck to enjoy some adult beverages and people watch. I went to the aft pool bar where I met Ricardo the bartender. Ricardo was very friendly and welcoming. I ordered a mojito to enjoy while waiting for the cabins to be ready. While watching the antics going on at the pool deck I met one of our roll call mates, Lydia from New York picked me out easily due to the mardi gras beads I was wearing. We enjoyed some drinks and chatted and then went to check out our cabins.

I had Cabin 9500 a superior ocean view all the way forward on the port side of the ship. I found the cabin was really nice having the extra room and also my oceanview window had no obstruction from the lifeboats, you could see straight out perfectly but I did notice that the room was directly below the bridge wing that comes off the side of the ship. Moving on, I unpacked and got everything put away in about 5 minutes (I travel light and pack smartly). Now it was time to get going and gear up for the afternoon festivities. I headed back to the pool deck to find some more of my roll call mates and have some more beverages. Everyone was having a great time and before I knew it sailaway time was here. So it was up to the sundeck for sailaway and it was a nice (weather wise) sail out of Port Canaveral and we are now on our way to the Bahama's.

More to come, stay tuned. :)

Hello again. Continuing my review.

Day 1 continued:

After sailaway it was time to get ready for dinner. I had MTD with a 7:30pm reservation. Dinner the first night for me was the lamb shank with vegetables. This was my first time trying MTD and I found that I liked the idea of having flexibility compared to all my other cruises with a set dining time. The wait staff were extremely nice and efficient with their service. MTD is held in Claude's Dining Room on Deck 4. After dinner it was off to check out the usual haunts on a Royal Caribbean ship. I stopped in the Scooner Bar for a after dinner libation and enjoyed the sounds of the piano player. From Schooner Bar I strolled through Bolero's on Deck 7 and found the typical Latin theme music playing and folks enjoying dancing. After having relaxed for a while taking in the sights of the ship and being on the open sea it was time to change and head to the pool deck to enjoy some pool and hot tub time. The hot tub ste up is one of the slight differences between the Monarch and the Majesty as both of Monarch's hot tubs are side by side in the middle of the pool deck between the forward and aft pools. After enjoying the pool deck it was time for one more beverage and then it was off to bed.

Day 2 coming up soon.

Welcome to Day 2:

Day 2 we will be ported in Nassau Bahamas at 12:30pm. The morning started nicely with fair weather. I went to the Windjammer for a breakfast of smoked salmon, fresh fruits, and pastries. While eating breakfast we were passing Coco Cay where the Majesty of the Seas was anchored for her day there. I ate my breakfast and then headed to Cafe Lattetude's for a hot mocha and then took a morning stroll on the outside promenade. After a couple of laps I headed to the pool deck to relax for a bit and enjoy the nice cruising we were experiencing. After a while I went to get ready for the C&A Welcome Back party at 10:45am. The C&A Party was held in the Circuit Nightclub on Deck 8. It was the typical C&A party hosted by Mike our CD. Free champagne and recognition awards were given to the higher level C&A members on board. By the end of the party at about 11:30am we were pulling into Nassau harbor. We were docked 30 minutes early, which was nice. Some of the C&A group went out on the nightclubs outdoor deck to watch us pull in. That's when the weather went downhill. It started to rain the closer we got to the dock.

We docked on the pier closest to the port building, by this time the reain was really coming down. The rain put a damper on many of the shore excursions.

More to come of Day 2.

Hi. Continuing Day 2:

On arriving in Nassau there were 5 ships in port. There were 4 Carnival ships and the Monarch. With the largest ship being the Carnival Valor.

After we were docked I headed into Nassau to do a little shopping and to be entertained at Senor Frog's. The Straw Market is now inside a nice new building about two blocks from it's previous location. I headed over to Senor Frog's for some fun and entertainment. With the number of ships in port it was hopping at Frog's :D. I enjoyed a few beers and kept from becoming part of the entertainment. After leaving Frog's I decided to stop at a new place called Sharkeez. This was a poor choice, the service was slow and the food not too good. I went to the bar and the bartenders were so deep in the weeds they would need an industrial sized weed whacker to get out. The two bartenders were more concerned about serving the waiter's from the floor than any bar customers. After about 15 minutes I had a beer and ordered some conch fritters. The fritters came out with hardly any conch in them so they were more like really large hush puppies. Sharkeez was a disapointment. From there I checked out a little more of the downtown area and then headed back to the ship. It was still raining but it was down to just a drizzle.

Back on the ship I went to the pool bar and enjoyed some more of Ricardo's drink concotions. After that I decided to eat early tonight to be able to attend the Captian's Welcome Back party. With MTD going to dinner early was no problem. I was seated at a table with others and one of them was Lydia from the roll call. tonight's selections for me were the Lobster Bisque, Bay Scallop appetizer, and the Grilled Salmon Filet. The Bay Scallops replaced the Escargot, they were prepared and served like the Escargot was but unfortunately the scallops are smaller then the escargot. So, IMHO the Bay Scallops are not a good replacement for the Escargot.

After dinner it was time for the Captain's Show at 7pm. The show was well attended and had the usual, champagne and rum punch, the captain introduced the senior officers and staff and then discussed the Monarch's leaving the fleet next year and her replacement which we know is the Enchantment of the Seas.

After the show I changed into some comfy clothes and headed up to the pool deck, our sailaway is at 11:59pm and I watched the crew setting up for the midnight buffett and sailaway party. A little later I headed to Sorrento's for a slice of pizza and got ready for the sailaway party. At 11:59pm sharp we set sail and the party was underway. We partied until about, well let's just say it was late when I went to bed. Next up Day 3 at Coco Cay.

Day 3 Sunday at Coco Cay:

Weather forecast for the day was sunny and humid with a high of 84 degrees.

We arrived at Coco Cay to a bright sunny day, which is what everyone wanted. I was awakened by the anchor dropping into the sea. I got up and prepared my backpack for the impending beach day. I went to the Windjammer again for a quick breakfast and by the time I was done the ship was cleared by authorities and the tendering began about 8:30am. I had booked a 10am Waverunner excursion so off to the tenders I went. I was on a tender and away to the island at about 8:50am. I still had some time to kill before my excursion so I walked around the island and took some pictures. (Sorry I cannot post them at this time) I then headed over to the Waverunner building to sign the wavers and get ready to see the Berry Islands. The Waverunner tour takes about an hour and takes your through the inside islands. There is also another route they can take that goes out near the ship, it's random as to which route they will take. The best part of the tour was stopping in Starfish Alley. Here you could get off your Waverunner and cool off and look at all the starfish. One of the tour guides will go down and bring one up for all to look at.

After the Waverunner tour it was time for an adult beverage and to find a nice place to relax on the beach and to enjoy the island lunch buffett. Lunch was BBQ Ribs, Jerk Chicken, burgers, hot dogs, salads, veggies, fries, desserts, and drinks. I had lunch and then headed back to the ship about 1:30pm. I was ready to get the sand off of me and then enjoy the ships pools and hot tubs.

I stayed on the pool deck for the rest of the day, at about 3pm Ricardo opened the aft Pool Bar and it was time for a drink. I now have an official favorite drink: Lavaflow! Wow! What a great drink! Finally 4:30pm arrived and it was time to set sail for our final night at sea as we head back to Port Canaveral. I spent about another hour at the pool and then it was time to get ready for dinner. Dinner tonight will be at Jade.

Day 3 continued:

Our final night at sea and I am dining at Jade which is a specialty dining option. Each item on the menu has it's price and you choose ala carte. I decided on the 8oz. Filet Mignon cooked on a hot rock. The filet is cooked by you on a hot rock that is 575 degrees. The filet was excellent and I enjoyed cooking it myself to my liking. It was tender and juicy and served with vegetables. I was also served edamame before the entree came out. After the filet I tried some sushi and it was as good as any land based sushi restaurant.

After dinner I roamed the ship checking out some of the sales at the Centrum Shops. I stopped in the Schooner Bar for the piano player and after that I went to the Farewell Show in the theater. After that it was time to head to the cabin and pack up and get ready for the next day. On this night the seas were up a litlle bit and with my cabin all the way forward the motionwas noticeable but not bothersome to me. I think the seas helped fall asleep faster.

Last but not least disembarkation coming up.

We arrived in Port Canaveral on a bright sunny morning. Had a quick breakfast in Windjammer and got ready to do the self disembarkation. On this sailing it seemed like everyone was doing self assist disembarkation. what a line to get off the ship. I finally made it off the ship around 8:45am. They started letting people off about 8:10am and once off the ship I located my ride back to the airport. I was back at the Orlando airport by 9:45am.

Next, my final thoughts.

My final thoughts. This was my first time on the Monarch. the ship is in great shape for her age. The crew was excellent, friendly, and willing to serve everyone as best as they could. I am glad to have had a chance to sail the Monarch before she leaves next year. This was the third time I have cruised from Port Canaveral and think it is a great port to sail from.

The itinerary is fine for a three day getaway although Nassau is getting to be a little tedious. In summary if I had the chance to sail the Monarch again before she leaves I would in a heartbeat. Happy Cruising Everyone!

Hmmm? Maybe this was not as quick a review as I had planned......:rolleyes:

Love the review so far! Thanks! Miss the Monarch -- havent been on her since she left Cali.

:mad:

Thanks for the props. This was my first formal review. I hope you enjoy! :)

Sounds like you cruised solo? Had my first solo cruise on the Monarch back in January. Enjoyed myself a lot!

I'll be back on the Monarch in 2 weeks but this time I'll be cruising with 30 of my friends and family. :D (My wedding cruise)

Sounds like you cruised solo? Had my first solo cruise on the Monarch back in January. Enjoyed myself a lot!

I'll be back on the Monarch in 2 weeks but this time I'll be cruising with 30 of my friends and family. :D (My wedding cruise)

Yes I did cruise solo. I usually go solo but not always. I'll have some friends joining me for my upcoming cruise on the Allure. What I find great about solo cruising is the flexibility it gives me. I had a great time on the Monarch and pretty much all the other ships I have been on. Have fun on your group cruise! :)

Getting ready to dive in- Thanks! I stopped for a much needed break from housework and laundry :( and I was THRILLED to see this!:D

You are going to have a great time Britney! If there are any questions just post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them. :D

So? I should be super excited that I am a week and a half away???? :D I AM!!!

I think I have a 10:00 pick up too. I am glad that you included the times. I was suprised that it took as long as it did.....shouldn't have been but geesh it's vacation, time IS supposed to FLY! :o

5 minutes to unpack? It will take me longer than that just to stop saying "Can you believe it? We're here!!!!" to my sister! :p

Did CocoCay seem crowded at all? Any area that seems nicer, more welcoming?

So what is in your new favorite drink? And you know I am all about the chocolate....any yummy desserts?!

Any reason (other than just because) you decided to use Jade? Did you have to make a reservation? Again, desserts????

Were the hot tubs/pool areas overly crowded? I do not mind chatting it up with others but like my personal space too! Used a hot tub with too many people the other day. Did not care for it and would definitely skip it if it's shoulder to shoulder room only- YUCK! :mad:

Glad that you did not let the rain dampen your fun! And it sounds like a nice little get a way! Thanks for posting!

You are going to have a great time Britney! If there are any questions just post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them. :D

LOL! I hope you meant that I already posted some! Is the only difference between the 3/4 night, the sea day? Did they have "Quest"? You never did mention the midnight buffet, meaning if the food was any good. Like there's not enough food on cruises, LOL!!! Did you skip it & get pizza instead? Is it easy to find your way around?

Thanks for the review.. What is in a LavaFlow?? Sounds interesting..Also, what was the food at the midnight buffet? Anything special? Are drinks at the Captain's shows free?

Coco Cay sounds very nice and can't wait to go. I was interested in the Wave Runners- Sounds like it was great.

So? I should be super excited that I am a week and a half away???? :D I AM!!!

I think I have a 10:00 pick up too. I am glad that you included the times. I was suprised that it took as long as it did.....shouldn't have been but geesh it's vacation, time IS supposed to FLY! :o

5 minutes to unpack? It will take me longer than that just to stop saying "Can you believe it? We're here!!!!" to my sister! :p

Did CocoCay seem crowded at all? Any area that seems nicer, more welcoming?

So what is in your new favorite drink? And you know I am all about the chocolate....any yummy desserts?!

Any reason (other than just because) you decided to use Jade? Did you have to make a reservation? Again, desserts????

Were the hot tubs/pool areas overly crowded? I do not mind chatting it up with others but like my personal space too! Used a hot tub with too many people the other day. Did not care for it and would definitely skip it if it's shoulder to shoulder room only- YUCK! :mad:

Glad that you did not let the rain dampen your fun! And it sounds like a nice little get a way! Thanks for posting!

As far as the drive time to the port the reason it was longer was due to a family going to the Kennedy Space Center for the day. Normally the drive from the airport is about 45-50 minutes traffic depending. The timing of arriving at the port actually worked out great even with the stop at KSC.

Coco Cay was not crowded at all. Monarch is alot smaller than the Freedom, we had 2500 passengers onboard according to the ship's Captain. I did the Waverunner tour and it is over towards the back side of the island and does seem to be quieter.

My new favorite drink is the Lavaflow, Yummy!:D

Dessert wise I did not have anything more than sherbert, but I did see lots of desserts in the Windjammer that looked yummy and there were plenty of chocolate choices.

I decided on Jade because I wanted to try something different, reservations are suggested but not required. I enjoyed dining there.

The pool area and hot tubs did not seem overly crowded, there were a couple of times in the evening that the hot tubs were crowded but it did not last long. Folks were pretty polite and not hogging the hot tubs. You also won't do as much walking on the Monarch like on the Freedom due to the smaller size of the ship. :)

What a great review!! Thank you so much for posting it. I leave on the Monarch June 1st and cannot wait!

At Jade - is the sushi free or is there a surcharge?

All items in Jade are extra cost. Each item is priced separately.

LOL! I hope you meant that I already posted some! Is the only difference between the 3/4 night, the sea day? Did they have "Quest"? You never did mention the midnight buffet, meaning if the food was any good. Like there's not enough food on cruises, LOL!!! Did you skip it & get pizza instead? Is it easy to find your way around?

Yes the only difference is you will have a full day at sea as the 3 nighter does not.

Yes they did do the Quest and the Love&Marriage Show.

The midnight buffett was awsome! BBQ, chicken, different meats, fruits, breads, dessert's (choclate), and lots of drinks.

I did have the pizza but I felt that the Sorrento's on the Freedom was better.

Although there are no electronic wayfinders on the Monarch like the Freedom, finding your way around is very easy.

What a great review!! Thank you so much for posting it. I leave on the Monarch June 1st and cannot wait!

At Jade - is the sushi free or is there a surcharge?

The sushi is not free. It is priced ala carte. The prices are reasonable though and the sushi compares well to any sushi restaurant on land. :)

Thanks for the review.. What is in a LavaFlow?? Sounds interesting..Also, what was the food at the midnight buffet? Anything special? Are drinks at the Captain's shows free?

Coco Cay sounds very nice and can't wait to go. I was interested in the Wave Runners- Sounds like it was great.

Hello. The Lavaflow is one of the specialty drinks they make. I had heard about how good they were and mine was so good I did not think to look and see or ask what was in it. Sorry about that.

See my previous post about the midnight buffett. It was good.

There are complimentary drinks at the Captains welcome aboard show, usually champagne and some rum type drinks.

The Waverunner tour is fun. Fresh air, crystal clear water, and cruising throught the islands at 45mph!

Archived