Free upgrade questions?

I see on here from time to time that people get free upgrades. Just how does this happen? I mean you book an inside cabin and when you get to the ship they you actually get a balcony or do they call you? Do you call up and ask RCCL for a free upgrade or it just happens?

I couldn't tell you, it's a complete mystery to me. I am a platinum member and have yet to get a free upgrade from RCCL. I watched inventory for my sailing all the way up to today and their was plenty of availablity to upgrade until today of course, but I didn't get one.

I have never received an upgrade, but, you can either find out at the pier or get a call. You might want to double check your upgrade preferences on your C&A account.

There was a CC link on this topic today...

[URL]http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1428[/URL]

[quote name='JAMESCC']I see on here from time to time that people get free upgrades. Just how does this happen? I mean you book an inside cabin and when you get to the ship they you actually get a balcony or do they call you? Do you call up and ask RCCL for a free upgrade or it just happens?[/quote]

Paid upgrades can happen pretty much anytime and are driven usually by category availability and deals offered to fill it. Or if prices drop so that better categories are now equal in price to lower categories. Free upgrades are far more rare but typically happen in the final days prior to a sailing with certain staterooms available with RCI contacting you with the offer. You can also ask at check in but more often then not they are limited in available and are also usually - but not always - paid upgrades.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']Paid upgrades can happen pretty much anytime and are driven usually by category availability and deals offered to fill it. Or if prices drop so that better categories are now equal in price to lower categories. Free upgrades are far more rare but typically happen in the final days prior to a sailing with certain staterooms available with RCI contacting you with the offer. You can also ask at check in but more often then not they are limited in available and are also usually - but not always - paid upgrades.[/quote]
Thanks to all the answers, it seems it a bit of a mystery as to how they are given out or awarded. It'd be cool but I doubt I'll ever get one.

Archived