1 thing you wish you took to Alaska

silkhair1

[quote name='nmg222']As others have said, a bigger lens. I had a 70-300 with me and needed more. There is no such thing as too much glass in Alaska.[/quote]

Hi, you said you'd go bigger on your glass. I have the new Sigma 50-500, which is heavy I like to use a tripod/mon. Should I be practicing shooting with that, instead of my 70-300?

I put our jackets and sweaters and bulky items in those plastic bags that squish out the air, and it really saved space in the suitcase. Our coldest moments were cruising the Hubbard Glacier - it was COLD out there - duh - you're sailing in ICE! Definitely gloves (I had my glove liners too) and hat or head wrap.

A great medium/light weight Gore Tex jacket with attached hood is my #1 go-to item for any cruise. It packs in a teeny little pouch and several layers will fit under it.

So I guess I had two items: those plastic bags (I forget what they're called) and the great jacket.

We just got back from an AMAZING week in Alaska on the Infinity. The best items we brought were binoculars and waterproof gloves. I could not believe how few passengers had binoculars. It makes a world of difference if you are looking for wildlife!

We always take insulated travel mugs -great for filling up w/ hot coffee or hot chocolate while out on deck, or an adult beverage as we scan the seas for wildlife. Also love taking battery operated candles for those nighttime bathroom breaks when you don't want to wake everyone (including yourself) w/bright lights. I recently found some scented ones that are lovely to set the mood, if you catch my drift...;)

the weather is unpredictable, regardless of when you go, so - as others have said - be prepared with a long-covering light poncho (to be able to carry in backpack etc), scarf, thinsulate gloves, as well as t-shirts and shorts - have fun!!
(and there are prlenty of souvenir shops to buy things at inexpensive prices if you forget!)
ENJOY!

[quote name='CruisingGoddess']I made a detailed Alaska packing list as part of my trip report when I went on my cruise that you might find helpful:

[URL]http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/[/URL]

Click on the link for Packing List.[/quote]

Goddess indeed! I absolutely LOVE your website! What a great job, and so very thorough! I had to give you props for it!

We recently returned from Alaska (May on the Radiance) and I would just like to add my suggestions. One thing I did not take and absolutely should have, is waterproof shoes. Whether or not you are planning any long walks, they are probably still an essential, even if you are going to Alaska in the summer. Other people have told me that another must have for anyone going later in the season is effective insect repellant to guard against Alaska's state bird- the mosquito
(Actually that's two things isn't it)!

[quote name='poolwife']Where is the link for "packing list"? Couldn't find it. Thanks[/quote]

Scroll down just a little bit. You'll see "Planning Tips" and a link just below that labeled "Packing List." Very helpful.

[quote name='silkhair1'][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=3]I am going to Alaska in a couple of weeks and I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. LOL. Anyway, I was wondering if there was 1 thing you wish you had brought, but did not, or something you really think I need to bring. I am on the Infinity in Concierge Class. Any advice will be great! Thank you![/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Actually...2 things...or 2 PEOPLE...I wish I had taken my parents !! For years they had mentioned how much they wanted to cruise Alaska...but always had excuses..."that ship is too large".."we are too busy".."that's too expensive"..etc, etc. Now serious health complications prevent their going...and I continue to regret that I just didn't book them when we went in 2007 !!

So, for anyone else...don't wait til it's too late to take a loved one on that special cruise !!...and Alaska is indeed [I][COLOR="Red"]special[/COLOR][/I] !!

Enjoy,

Woody

• 3 weeks later...
Just back from the Infinity inside passage. If there was one thing I wish I had packed, it's a sleep visor. Clothespins will do you no good because it's light out until like midnight, the sun (light) comes up around 4am, and the light will bleed through the curtains. Go to Walgreens and get one. You will thank me!

Archived