1 thing you wish you took to Alaska

silkhair1

I used the vacuum bags you see advertised they really help with those bulky sweaters and sweatshirts, we had the room steward bring their vacuum into the room the last day to reseal our stuff it worked out really well.

like these

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-Vacuum-Seal-Storage-Bags-Set/dp/B001F51AVM/ref=sr_1_4?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1337961470&sr=1-4

A small laptop, netbook is also handy to be able to view and take pictures off the camera cards.

For Binoculars I have these and they are really nice

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-Stabilization-Binoculars-Batteries/dp/B00004THDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337961537&sr=8-1

A light weight fleece vest is very handy when layering clothes.

As mentioned by other posters, it is important to have a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer. Southeast Alaska can have days of beautiful sunny weather, but there is a reason why we refer to it as "rain country."

A heavier jacket. We went in July but I was still cold. Needed to buy a thick hooded sweatshirt in Skagway.

At every port you will find jackets of every colour (reversable too) and they are the deal of the day - $20 each. I bought a red one, hubby bought a navy one. I wish I had brought LESS clothes so that I could have brought some of these back as gifts. They look like a regular parka style jacket and they have an Alaska emblem on them. Great jackets - warm without being hot.

Not "bringing" it but meeting A California couple with six Alaska cruises more than we have. :D (BTW we have a total of zero Alaska cruise so far)

See ya sail-away Curtis and Gail (curtdesilets) and whomever else who shows up who was on our roll call.

The most useful thing I brought was my Gore-Tex rain jacket (best investment ever!), wore it just about every day, even if it wasn't raining. It's been 10 years & I'd take it back to Alaska in a heartbeat!

Not "bringing" it but meeting A California couple with six Alaska cruises more than we have. :D (BTW we have a total of zero Alaska cruise so far)

See ya sail-away Curtis and Gail (curtdesilets) and whomever else who shows up who was on our roll call.

There's a reason we keep returning to Alaska. You'll see.

Sox with thumbs (aka mittens).

Is it better to have the kind with the string attached aka idiot mittens?:D

After some 17 cruises to Alaska I would say that most things have been covered off in this thread. The only thing that I would add is that some people appreciate a having a couple of clothes pins so that they can keep the drapes closed tight in their cabin...some have trouble sleeping with the long hours of daylight.

The only thing that I would add is that some people appreciate a having a couple of clothes pins so that they can keep the drapes closed tight in their cabin...some have trouble sleeping with the long hours of daylight.
The clothes pins can be used to weigh down a shower curtain too.

For keeping the drapes closed, safety pins work also, as do those hangers with the clips that are found in the closet.

Also soft, dark eye shades can come in handy for sleeping during daylight.

Many travelers like to keep eye shades and ear plugs in their travel bags.

We just got back from Alaska last week on the Infinity. I think X provides binoculars for each cabin. Wish I had brought a neck scarf. It was very cold and windy in each odmour ports. And some type of rain proof camera case because my camera got rained on in Juneau at the Men hall glacier. X also supplies umbrellas so you can use them. Just layer and you really don't need a heavy coat. Gloves you can use to'take'pictures. Hat or ear warmers.

Don't forget your bathing suits and a rain jacket and waterproof shoes. And if you like snorkeling, you just might not want to miss an excursion that takes you snorkeling in Alaska (forget the port but we did one and it was REALLY cool)

[quote name='miched']No matter where you stop there will plenty of stores that sell anything you need and prices aren't that bad of you do feel you forgot or need something. Some places give free ponchos, nice souvenirs sweat shirts are cheap and you may want a few so leave room.

Hiking or water repellent shoes don't look out of place.

Binoculars and a camera are a given for any trip.

If you buy too much most places will ship it and some for free. Shipping isn't that bad and may be easier than trying to pack for a air line.

You can probably pack less than you think you need because most clothes can be worn more than once as you probably won't sweat much.

The nights will feel weird because there will be about 22 hours of day light.

Book your excursions on the docks. They will be cheaper and you can book according to the weather. Some tours aren't fun if it is raining or cold.

Google Ulu knife before you go. They really push them. I bought a few sets there and then I bought some fantastic knifes from a person named Wayne thru his web site after I got home. Way cheaper and better quality. They make nice gifts and are very handy and useful.

.[/QUOTE]
Be sure you get the original Ulu Knife (made at the factory in Anchorage).....Many are "made in China".

[quote name='jaybird from SC']Be sure you get the original Ulu Knife (made at the factory in Anchorage).....Many are "made in China".[/QUOTE]

Those that I bought are made by Wayne Hunt, a native of Alaska and personally made by him. I also bought some in Alaska made by the factory and they cost more and are not of the same quality. Wayne uses the best quality steel for the blades, choice of wood, whale bone, walrus and etc for the handles and different choices of chopping boards. Do a web search before going to see what is available before buying. If you are satisfied with the product you buy it. You can always buy them on line after you get home. There is no duty advantage.

Enough socks, thin but "good" long johns for under pants and jeans. I actually have a pair of Columbia insulated snowboarder pants that look nice and are comfortable. Wore them for almost all my excursion days on our May 11th Cruisetour on the Radiance recently.

Make sure you have enough ZOOM on your camera as others have stated. You will be sorry if you don't have a good camera.

[quote name='Fixit2010']I haven't been to Alaska, but if I went, the thing I would really like to take would be .......

A pretty 20 something blonde to serve me my hot chocolate when I got back to my cabin. :D[/quote]

Ahhhh, That sounds nice. I am so lucky, my wife is 20+ and blondish.
Ok,ok, she is 20+27 and most of the blonde may actually be white now (who knows with the dyes nowadays) but still she can serve me hot chocolate any day. mic:D

[quote name='silkhair1'][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=3]I am going to Alaska in a couple of weeks and I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. LOL. Anyway, I was wondering if there was 1 thing you wish you had brought, but did not, or something you really think I need to bring. I am on the Infinity in Concierge Class. Any advice will be great! Thank you![/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Better lenses for my DSLR (Twice :mad:).

Your health insurance card.
I got sick with sinusitis while in Alaska last year. Did not have travel insurance. Did not want to go to the ship's doctor, fear from hearing horror stories, of being quarantined to my cabin, the high expense and the possibility of not being reimbursed through my health insurance.
At most of the ports, depending on your itinerary, you are still in the US.
The first day of having symptoms while in Juno I was going to go to a clinic, but would not have had the time due to an excursion previously planned. By the end of the day the symptoms got worse. I decided that I needed to definitely go to a clinic at the next port in Skagway.
Getting off the ship, it was a 15 minute walk to the clinic. When I got there, I was seen by a nurse, nurse practitioner, and a student doctor. The service was great, the facility was clean, and I was treated with great care at the Dahl Memorial Clinic. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection, given medication, paid my copay and was on my way to recovery. I was sent a bill only because they sent the original claim to BSBC Alaska instead of my insurance's claim dept. I called them and they then sent it to the correct address. It went through with no difficulty, and I never saw another bill. Furthermore, I did not have to deal with laying any out of pocket money except for my copay, all the processing that usually needs to be done with most travel insurance plans, or wait for any type of reimbursements.

Archived