Juneau - salmon hatchery

sstoalaska

I have the brochure for the MaCaulay Salmon Hatchery. Is this the only salmon hatchery in Juneau? If not, is this the one to go to or would you recommend another. Also, does anyone know about transportation to the hatchery. City bus? taxi? what would you recommend? Is this tour worth the time? Thanks..:)

It is 4 miles from the cruise docks. You can take the city bus, IF YOU HAVE spare time in Juneau otherwise take a cab. The bus picks up on Franklin, down and across from the Red Dog, there is a small sign on the street. Verify schedules, they don't run real often. Stop by the dock visitor center first.

I have the brochure for the MaCaulay Salmon Hatchery. Is this the only salmon hatchery in Juneau? If not, is this the one to go to or would you recommend another. Also, does anyone know about transportation to the hatchery. City bus? taxi? what would you recommend? Is this tour worth the time? Thanks..:)

The hatchery was interesting and worth doing. We rented a car, drove to Mendenhall Glacier, then to the Alaskan Brewery, then to the hatchery. It was a fun day. Also, be sure to take the tram in Juneau too.

Have fun.

Do they charge for admission?

If one were to rent a car in Juneau, besides visiting Mendahall glacier, Mt. Roberts Tram, and the hatchery, what are some other good places to visit with a rented car?

It is the only hatchery open to the public, and I really enjoy going there. You would have to take a bus or a cab.

Do they charge for admission?

If one were to rent a car in Juneau, besides visiting Mendahall glacier, Mt. Roberts Tram, and the hatchery, what are some other good places to visit with a rented car?

Maybe the Budget Queen can recommend other sights to see. We just did the Mendenhall, Brewery, and Hatchery. You don't need a car to take you to the tram. I believe there is also some kind of gardens near the brewery you can visit too. For us, with a car rental, we found it to be cheaper, and enabled us to view what we wanted to see on our own schedule.

Have fun,

Steve

The Shrine of St. Therese is beautiful and you'd have a chance to see whales from the shore, they hang out there a lot during the summer months. Glacier Gardens is beautiful but very expensive. Driving out the road past the Shrine is wonderful as well, full of green, and wildlife. I live in Juneau, and never get enough of driving "out the road" as us locals say. Enjoy your trip. The Macaulay hatchery is wonderful!

Thanks for the help. I had seen several names for the hatchery and wasn't sure. Was the brewery worth doing? We want to go to Mendenhall Glacier, do the Mt. Roberts Tram, the hatchery, maybe the brewery, and go to Red Dog Saloon. Also, maybe go to the salmon bake at Thore Ore. I don't believe we are going to be able to fit all this in. We'll have a good time trying though! :)

Archived