Excursion questions for newbies

Hi

We are new to Regent and very excited by Voyager Safaga to Mumbai.

What are the good and bad points? I have a vision of 20 buses in the Sinai following each other?

We have sailed Seabourn and silver sea!

Mant thanks to you all for your ideas and thoughts!

Not to worry. You will have a marvelous trip. There will likely be lots of busses in a convoy with an armed jeep in the front of the convoy and the back and an armed guard on each bus. That's the way it is done! This will add to your comfort, not diminish it.

Hi -- thank you for starting this thread. If you have a chance, please post the date of your cruise as I'm having difficulty finding it. Assuming that you are doing the Middle East ports that a few of us did fairly recently.

As you may already know, Luxor is approximately 3 hours away from the port of Safaga. Hopefully someone will post their experience of the transfer to the port. From what I have heard, it is a fairly boring ride and you can catch up on some sleep on the bus (comfortable buses!)

There are so many excursion options in this part of of the world. Unlike our recent Istanbul to Rome cruise, we never felt as if there were too many buses going to the same location on the same day. Actually, we found the excursions to be amongst the best we have done on Regent (most of which were included).

If you will be stopping in Petra (Aqaba) Jordan, you are in for a real treat as we found Jordan to be one of the most advanced countries that we visited. We did an overnight in Jordan and spent one day visiting the city. Of course we visited Petra on a Regent excursion (this one had a cost and was worth it). Our cruise (December, 2012) was at a time when it was not overly hot in Petra (or the other ports). In fact, it was quite cold doing the very long walk down the hill to see the amazing sights. Regent did an excellent job with this excursion. There were not too many people -- probably due to the time of the year.

Not sure if you are spending extra time in Egypt. That's why I am asking about your itinerary. We did a fun excursion near the port in Safaga.

From what we have heard, all of the excursions in Israel were wonderful. One excursions we took is no longer offered as it is on the border of Syria.

Just thought of the fact that I did a review of this cruise. Here is a link -- hope it helps! http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94111

Hi

We are new to Regent and very excited by Voyager Safaga to Mumbai.

................I have a vision of 20 buses in the Sinai following each other?

............................................!

VISION NO MORE:

Luxor%2B%2B%25285%2529.JPG

J

Hi Maureen/Josephine; as explained elsewhere you're in for a magical adventure (our middle east excursions last month were handled very well and we appreciated the large number of buses with the problematic pol climate in Egypt now, however, the tourist areas in Egypt (Luxor, Giza) have been relatively calm).

Believe the Safaga to Mumbai itinerary (price point and included pre (luxor)/post trips (Taj Mahal) is the best value for Regent in 2012. For us, some port highlights included; Luxor (Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut temple, Colossi of Memnon), Petra (Treasury, and a fellow pax showed Ida a pix she took with Bono in one the caves--he was very gracious visiting Petra with just his wife and assistant), Oman (Grand Mosque), Salalah (also the Sultan's Grand Mosque, Al Husn Souq (may want to buy some Frankensense).

It's a great itinerary you've chosen Josephone, and clearly, you're getting lots of advice about the Middle Eastern part of your cruise. I'll focus on the Indian part and encourage you to take a deep breath, be brave and summon up all the patience you can muster to give India a real try. For sure, every one of your senses will be challenged (all at the same time), you'll feel awkward, out of your depth and at times, maybe slightly afraid. But believe me when I say that the efforts you put in will be well rewarded. The Indian people are gracious and kind and though many of them lead lives we can't imagine, somehow they manage to remain polite and good humoured. If you get a chance to be the slightest bit independent, then I'd encourage you to take a taxi and break away from the tourist trail a little.

Our days in Mumbai were amongst the most memorable we have had. The Regent tour of the market followed by a Bollywood movie and a nightcap at a local private members club was truly amazing. (report on my blog http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2011/4/28/was-the-word-fun-mentioned.html) It's a fantastic city and simply standing on a street corner and watching the world go by is enough to make one realise how very fortunate we are.

I apologise if all of that came across as patronising, but when we've called at Indian ports many of our fellow passengers have found it hard to see beyond the challenges of Indian bureaucracy and the immigration system is enough to test anyone's patience. But really, it's well worth taking a deep breath and going with the flow for a while. I often think of the small purchase I made of a book costing less than a pound, which involved five people to process the transaction. aaaaah, India! http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2011/4/19/india-aaah.html

We did Mumbai to Athens on Voyager in 2008 and returned to the subcontinent last year, again on Voyager. Though we've travelled independently in India too, calling at ports from the comfort of a cruise ship is a lovely way to get a feel for the country and learn a little about the people and their way of life. Actually, that's true about the whole of that itinerary - which is exactly what I loved about it.

Gilly, As usual a wonderful post. Wendy and I have not been to India, but my son spent a year teaching in Uttar Pradesh; and did a circum-navigation of the sub-continent ending up in Calcutta with Mother Theresa for two weeks. His pictures and stories absolutely back up everything you said-particularly the different emotions one feels, including fear. If asked, however, he will say it was the most rewarding year of his life:)

You are all very kind. I am in the processing of reviewing all your reports. Each of you has made us more excited about the trip.

For me the selling point was actually the interesting extensions pre and post cruise. You are making us even more thrilled. I was afraid all the buses would make it impossible, but as you are all seasoned travelers, I know it will be terrific.

We look forward to hearing more from all of you!

Archived