Back to Backs on Different Cruise Lines

tmee

We didn't switch lines, but we did switch ships. When we got loaded into the taxi and told the driver we wanted to go to Golden Princess from our current location just off Caribbean Princess, he got quite upset! I thought at first he was mad about losing a fare to the airport, but what I finally figured out was that he wanted to know which driver dropped us at the wrong ship and commented how stupid that driver must have been. I tried to explain, but he was so incensed about the "mistake" that had been made he wasn't listening. He didn't want to charge us, so I just tipped him handsomely for helping us out of a difficult situation.

Other than that, it was pretty easy. We waited until most of the other passengers disembarked, picked up our bags, and stood in line for the next one. Make sure to carry some water and dress comfortably - you'll probably be in line for a good 90 minutes or so before being able to embark the next cruise.

We just did it on the Serenade of the Seas and the Constellation in San Juan. We really didn't know what we would encounter until we arrived for our Serenade cruise and saw that the Constellation was backed up to it. On turnaround day, we simply were among the last off of the Serenade, and rolled our luggage down to the adjacent terminal, where, after a short wait, we were among the first on the Constellation.

I know what you're saying about taxi drivers not liking short fares. We usually acknowledge, as soon as we get in, that we understand they waited a long time in line and tell them that there will be a good tip for them, and it, as least slightly, dispels some of their frustration.

We're about to do it in a few days.....leaving New York, May 8th, on the Golden Princess, 14 day transatlantic plus six port stops b/4 arriving in Southampton on the 22nd, then, a five minute taxi ride to another pier to join the QM-2 for a return transatlantic to New York.....20 days cruising without a flight, we're from New Jersey.

We also did a switch ships, both Princess, last year, an 11 day cruise-tour in Alaska on the Sun, ending in Vancouver, then to the Diamond for a b-2-b, a five day Coastal to L.A. and a seven day Mex. Riviera. We sat on our luggage for about 90 minutes, same pier, that day. After dumping our luggage, we managed a "quicky" three hour city tour b/4 boarding about 4PM.

For those that have been denied such combos involving Alaska because of the "Jones Act", you need to get Princess' Legal Dept. to override rejections by the "computer" and "reservations dept' staff", including supervisors. This will only apply, however, when it involves switching ships, not the same ship!

We're about to do it in a few days.....leaving New York, May 8th, on the Golden Princess, 14 day transatlantic plus six port stops b/4 arriving in Southampton on the 22nd, then, a five minute taxi ride to another pier to join the QM-2 for a return transatlantic to New York.....20 days cruising without a flight, we're from New Jersey.

That sounds absolutely lovely :) Have a great time!!!!!!!!!

Archived