Alaska Photo Countdown to 7/13!

Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?

• Ketchikan
    • Haines
    • Sitka
    • Juneau
    • Icy Straight Point
    • Juneau
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Glacier Bay
    • Seward
    • Whittier
    • Anchorage
    • Vancouver
    • Other

Did you take this shot from a kayak? It looks like you were actually in the water. I've run out of superlatives. Looking into buying/renting a tele-extender fit he trip next month. Any advice?

Did you take this shot from a kayak? It looks like you were actually in the water. I've run out of superlatives. Looking into buying/renting a tele-extender fit he trip next month. Any advice?

T-Rox,

No, although we were taking the water taxi/landing craft (pictured below) to go kayaking to Aialik glacier. The design of the open bow with the landing ramp allowed me a cool place to shoot fairly low from the front of the boat.

Water Taxi/Landing Craft

20090529_Green_0026-b.jpg

As for telextenders, I just bought my first one in February, a Sigma 1.4x that will work with both my Sigma 150-500mm and 70-200 "L" Canon lens. When renting our buying the telextender, check to make sure you have a lens or lenses that will fit it - there are a limited number of higher end lenses that will work with telextenders. B & H Photo is a great place to look up all the manufacturers and see what user reviews say before making your choice.

L.J.

Thanks. I will check it out. We are taking the smaller boat cruise (smaller than the ship, not smaller than your water taxi:D) out of Prince William Sound with Major Marine pre-cruise and I'm hoping for decent weather when we are "up close" to some glaciers.

DSC07066.jpg

This was also taken at ISP - there were a lot of whale around that day - it was amazing!! Can't wait to go back in 8 weeks (and counting)!! All of these photos are giving me excited butterflies!!!

DSC07056.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

This was also taken at ISP - there were a lot of whale around that day - it was amazing!! Can't wait to go back in 8 weeks (and counting)!! All of these photos are giving me excited butterflies!!!

Fantastic shots! I really like the three adults and the baby. How lucky to have such a calm day for viewing and photography.

L.J.

I am! Hope you are feeling better:)

Thanks. Improving, but not fixed yet. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be good to go. I haven't been sick in over a year, but at least it happened now and not the middle of the trip next month:eek: (hopefully!!!)

L.J.

Loving the pics, my mum is getting excited now to.

Some pics are making her look a little worried.

Little ship lots of ice lol.

I feel for you about your cold. My mum and i were shopping for our trip today and i sneezed twice in a row. My mums eyes widend and was like your not getting sick are you:eek::eek::eek::eek:. I was like know then i was like no :confused: i hope not:confused:

Loving the pics, my mum is getting excited now to.

Some pics are making her look a little worried.

Little ship lots of ice lol.

I feel for you about your cold. My mum and i were shopping for our trip today and i sneezed twice in a row. My mums eyes widend and was like your not getting sick are you:eek::eek::eek:. I was like know then i was like no :confused: i hope not:confused:

Less scary post today:D!

L.J.

LOL thank you for the less scary pics. Haa haa

You were right on the money picking the photo to. My mum is into flowers, she works in the garden section of a hardware store. On our previous trips she woudl stop and take pics of random things and i'd be like what are you taking a photo of. No monument or touristy thing in site. It would be of some flowers growing in some random place lol.

Thanks for the photos

LOL thank you for the less scary pics. Haa haa

You were right on the money picking the photo to. My mum is into flowers, she works in the garden section of a hardware store. On our previous trips she woudl stop and take pics of random things and i'd be like what are you taking a photo of. No monument or touristy thing in site. It would be of some flowers growing in some random place lol.

Thanks for the photos

LOL - my pleasure! For today, we're back to Icy Straight Point...

Radiance of the Seas anchored in ISP:

IMG_2468.jpg

Baby Humpback playing in a kelp bed in Icy Straight:

IMG_2728-c.jpg

Less than four weeks to go to the land portion of our 2012 Alaska adventure!!!

L.J.

Hey - just wanted to add this photo as well - Whale Watching in ISP.

DSC07133.jpg

And:

DSC06507.jpg

Bubble net feeding in Juneau.:)

Sweet shot! It looks like the bird is getting sent into orbit by the Humpy!

Bubblenet feeding is on the top of my wish list for this trip - here's to hoping!

L.J.

Wow is it just me or is that really shallow water,

LOL - you should see how close the whales can get to shore in some places:D!

The bay was plenty deep enough for Radiance. Here's a shot of a couple of the lifeboats being used as tenders to get to shore.

IMG_2460.jpg

L.J.

Great moves, LJ. Glad to see you actually have some fun in front of the camera! Since I have seen you post elsewhere on the topic of excursions, can you advise me on Juneau ...

if I should sign up for the photo boat expedition, or Harv and Marv's small boat whale watching excursion? It is a short day in port with Princess, so I really only have time for one. Thanks!

Great moves, LJ. Glad to see you actually have some fun in front of the camera! Since I have seen you post elsewhere on the topic of excursions, can you advise me on Juneau ...

if I should sign up for the photo boat expedition, or Harv and Marv's small boat whale watching excursion? It is a short day in port with Princess, so I really only have time for one. Thanks!

Ouch - tough question! I've never been on the photo safari, but I've mostly heard very positive reviews - both here on CC and on the ship after we've left Juneau. That said we loved our trip with Harv & Marv and that's what we're doing when we go back next month. You can't go wrong either way!

L.J.

Archived