Alaska Photo Countdown to 7/13!

Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?

• Ketchikan
    • Haines
    • Sitka
    • Juneau
    • Icy Straight Point
    • Juneau
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Glacier Bay
    • Seward
    • Whittier
    • Anchorage
    • Vancouver
    • Other

All I can say is WOW, what a great picture!!! I'm on the Oosterdam in June...can't wait!

Thanks! Tell us how your trip was when you get back. That's half the fun here, seeing and hearing about everyone's trips. I'm hoping to do a "live from" when we go.

Today's shot - three orcas crusing the shoreline in Auke Bay near Juneau....

img_0653-b.jpg

L.J.

Beautiful pictures!! If you don't mind my asking, what camera/lens did you use to get them? Especially the whales and eagle...they're stunning! Keep the pics coming...they're helping to keep me excited as we're a bit water logged this holiday weekend thanks to a rogue tropical storm! :p

Your pics are stunning. I look forward to seing them each day. Unfortunately you leave on your cruise before I do!:eek:

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying them! I get even more excited about going again reviewing these to post here. We're planning on doing a "live" blog and CC posts, starting on 7/7 when we get to Homer. We don't leave on the cruise from Seward until 7/13, and then we'll post as we find free wifi. I'm actually going to post the link tonight on the Alaska board to the whole trip we took in 2009. It was this we in May, so even if it's three years old, time & weatherwise it's pretty timely.

Hey, you forgot Homer and Kodiak!!!:D Thats why I chose "other". But Sitka is right up there with those two so maybe I'll vote again;)!

Sorry - I thought about them but figured they might be out of the wheelhouse of most Alaska cruisers, and I wasn't sure what ports were west of Kodiak...I will do better next poll - it was my first one!

Thank you! I leave 2 weeks after you but this will give me a little something to look forward to each day!

Thanks!!!

Beautiful pictures!! If you don't mind my asking, what camera/lens did you use to get them? Especially the whales and eagle...they're stunning! Keep the pics coming...they're helping to keep me excited as we're a bit water logged this holiday weekend thanks to a rogue tropical storm! :p

LOL - I'm glad you're enjoying them. For any closeup wildlife photos, I used a Canon 50D and a Canon 100-400mm Image Stabilized "L" series lens. Most of the rest will have been with a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. This year I'm taking a lens I bought since the time we went to Alaska, a Sigma 150-500mm lens, and a 1.4x telextender, which will let me get out to 700mm this trip - hopefully for some great bears pics in Katmai!

Bonus post for the day!

My wife & I kayaking Aialik Bay in Kenai Fjords National Park...

2009Alaska-5.jpg

L.J.

OMG your pictures are incredible i cant wait to go. I am going to miss you review as even though my cruise isn't until mid July ill be leaving home 5th July to do a land tour of West Coast USA first. Will be looking out for your pics, im traveling with my mum who isnt as excited as me, (i am hitting the roof) so hopefully your pictures will inject some excitement into her.

OMG your pictures are incredible i cant wait to go. I am going to miss you review as even though my cruise isn't until mid July ill be leaving home 5th July to do a land tour of West Coast USA first. Will be looking out for your pics, im traveling with my mum who isnt as excited as me, (i am hitting the roof) so hopefully your pictures will inject some excitement into her.

Thanks Nelie,

Other than the cold/wet issue, I'm glad your excited. Alaska was by far the best trip we ever took - can't wait until July!

Here's a shot I took of Chichagof Island and the St. Elias Mountains on our way back to Hoonah/Icy Straight Point. It was a cool day to be on the water, because on the opposite side of Icy Straight from this snow squall falling of the mountains on the other side behind us stayed sunny all day, alternating sun & rain on us while we fished and whale watched.

img_2930-b.jpg

L.J.

I was just wondering when I was going to see you post the picture for today!

Just beautiful!!!

Thanks Elann!

Here's a shot of the icy waters approaching Aialik Glacier at the end of Aialik Bay in Kenai Fjords National Park.

2009Alaska-3.jpg

L.J.

I can't wait until we head back north on 7/13. I decided to try and post a photo a day from our last trip was we countdown to departure...

Approaching Hubbard Glacier

IMG_3632-b.jpg

L.J.

Okay, this is an impressive photo!! The grandeur of the glacier is really shown off.

Here is a couple of my Hubbard photos:

2012-hubbard-045-L.jpg2012-hubbard-046-L.jpg

Okay, this is an impressive photo!! The grandeur of the glacier is really shown off.

Here is a couple of my Hubbard photos:

2012-hubbard-045-L.jpg2012-hubbard-046-L.jpg

Those are fantastic!!! What a great angle to shoot the calving from! Hopefully we'll be able to get that close in July. I thought we were close in May, but it looks like you were half the distance we were.

L.J.

L.J.

Thanks for the beautiful shots i cant wit tog et my cvamera poit there and start shooiting.

Hubby has all sports pictures up around the house, looks like bachelor pad at times. He was like well put up something you like up, I am like well i was hoping to take some photos and blow them up, what do you think, he was like yeah sure.

So hopefully i will be able to take some photos half as good as you huyd and can then wake up to Alaska every day

Thanks for the great picture of the HAL ship approaching Hubbard Glacier! We missed Hubbard Glacier (on HAL) in September due to bad weather. At least I got to see a ship there, I'll just imagine I was on it!!!!

Archived