Alaska Photo Countdown to 7/13!

Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?

• Ketchikan
    • Haines
    • Sitka
    • Juneau
    • Icy Straight Point
    • Juneau
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Glacier Bay
    • Seward
    • Whittier
    • Anchorage
    • Vancouver
    • Other

I also look forward to it and have started sending a picture to my mom a day while we are counting down. Thank you!

That's great! So are you going to Alaska for your first cruise? Totally different experience than a tropical cruise, but a fantastic experience nonetheless. Enjoy!

L.J.

The photos are fantastic! Now I have to ask myself--why did we wait so long to go to Alaska!

Don't wait until 2013 - go now!!!:D We first went in 2009, figuring it would be a LONG time until we could go back. Three years later - here we go again!

L.J.

We loved Icy Strait for it's unspoiled beauty and the fact that only one cruise ship is allowed in at a time and Seward was a close second. Ketchikan which has the most votes so far did not impress us at all - totally over commercialized. We liked Skagway simply because we rented a car and drove the Klondike Highway into the Carcross, Yukon and as far as Emerald Lake. This drive was very worthwhile. We liked the Auke Bay Recreation Area and Highway 7 (Glacier Highway) in Juneau. Otherwise, we did not like the town.

Walley, your pictures are fabulous. What kind of camera do you have?

We loved Icy Strait for it's unspoiled beauty and the fact that only one cruise ship is allowed in at a time and Seward was a close second. Ketchikan which has the most votes so far did not impress us at all - totally over commercialized. We liked Skagway simply because we rented a car and drove the Klondike Highway into the Carcross, Yukon and as far as Emerald Lake. This drive was very worthwhile. We liked the Auke Bay Recreation Area and Highway 7 (Glacier Highway) in Juneau. Otherwise, we did not like the town.

Walley, your pictures are fabulous. What kind of camera do you have?

I screwed up my own poll because somehow I rewrote Skagway as Juneau, which is in the poll twice, with no Skagway - sigh...

We like ISP as well because it was a break from the piles of tourist shops, but found each port interesting in it's own right. We rented a car in Skagway as well and drove out to Emerald Lake for horseback riding.

Thanks for the kind words on the photos. It's a fun way to revisit the last trip and get amped up for this one. As for camera almost all the photos I've posted were taken with a Canon 50D, and either a Canon 100-400mm IS L or a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. This trip the 50D is the back up and I've have a new 7D (8 fps for whales and bears!), plus 1080p video. On top of that is a LONG list of other photo gear, lenses etc that I won't bore you with. In short I've got more camera gear than clothes going on this trip:D.

L.J.

L.J. - what website do you use to host your pictures from?

Also - many thanks for posting your beautiful pictures.

Thank you Suite-Life! I use Smugmug for my regular photo website, but I use Photobucket on here thanks to a how to thread a few years back. It was the simplest way I found here on CC to post photos, so I've stuck with it for posting here.

L.J.

Loving the photos!! For those doing a "Drive Around" in Alaska - here are some Highway Photos.

Driving from Seward to Exit Glacier:

DSC07466.jpg

Fairbanks to Valdez:

DSC08354.jpg

Richardson Highway:

DSC08321.jpg

Loving the photos!! For those doing a "Drive Around" in Alaska - here are some Highway Photos.

Thaks for sharing. We only drove from Anchorage to Talkeetna and Denali last trip, but once out of Anchorage, the wide open highway & vistas make for easy sightseeing as you drive. Beautiful country for sure!

L.J.

Don't wait until 2013 - go now!!!:D We first went in 2009, figuring it would be a LONG time until we could go back. Three years later - here we go again!

L.J.

If only...until I retire I have to work around vacation hours. I would go right this minute if I could! The DH is already retired...loud and long sign as I wait...but counting down to soon.

If only...until I retire I have to work around vacation hours. I would go right this minute if I could! The DH is already retired...loud and long sign as I wait...but counting down to soon.

At least your close now! I'm somewhere between 25 years and never away from retirement:D.

L.J.

Hey All,

Two weeks to go until departure!

Here's a shot of Radiance in Ketchikan as we returned back from Misty Fjords...

IMG_9717.jpg

One of the many beautiful waterfalls along the shores of the Inside Passage:

IMG_1880.jpg

L.J.

A few shots from Ketichikan in today's batch.

Fishing fleet pier side along the waterfront...

K2.jpg

For those of you familiar with the legendary Jackalope, I give you... the "Humpalope"!

IMG_9847.jpg

What happens when you run out of roads in SE Alaska...

IMG_9920-b.jpg

13 days and a wake up!

L.J.

Today brings a couple of shots from Vancouver and the start of the trek north along the Inside Passage.

Downtown Vancouver & Canada Place:

IMG_8698-b.jpg

Setting sun, starboard side of Radiance of the Seas northwest of Vancouver:

IMG_8744.jpg

Inside Passage Sunset:

IMG_8754.jpg

12 days and a wake up!

L.J.

Archived