So Platinum becomes Diamond

geovet

Makes sense? :eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but diamond is 200 sea days. Do you really think they would upgrade all Platinums (which could potentially be a person with 10 three day cruises = 30) to a level requiring 200 sea days?

That would be very generous to some, but would really unfair to those of us who have taken longer cruises and are STILL not at Platinum.

That would mean that 30 could be counted as 200, but my 51 would be 51 - still 24 from Platinum. How equitable is that???

Totally on board (no pun intended) with you, readytotravel....how absurd to recatagorize all Platinum folks now into Diamond....when as you say, some folks have taken 9 cruises of 3-4 sea days and are considered "Platinum" (with a total of 30-40 sea days)....when those of us with 7-8 cruises of 7+ and more have 60-65 sea days and are NOT Platinum yet. Diamond level clearly show 200+ sea days....how ridiculous to think that all Platinum will be automatically grandfathered into "Diamond". Many of you are lucky with so few sea days to be considered "Platinum" at all.

Folks, they have changed the program, it appears Platinum perks have been removed and reassigned to a higher catagory of "loyal" cruisers....but be real about this, please! In many ways CCL is making the rewards program fairer by counting sea days and not the number of cruises no matter how long/short.

As a milestone cruiser (184 days) I am not sure I will qualify for diamond. The overall goal for this program is to reduce the number of upper tier passengers to bring costs down. Making all platinum members diamond makes no sense. I do think they will grandfather into platinum and some milestone will be grandfathered into diamond but who knows how many and what criteria they will use. Wait for the announcement and then we will really hear all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Totally on board (no pun intended) with you, readytotravel....how absurd to recatagorize all Platinum folks now into Diamond....when as you say, some folks have taken 9 cruises of 3-4 sea days and are considered "Platinum" (with a total of 30-40 sea days)....when those of us with 7-8 cruises of 7+ and more have 60-65 sea days and are NOT Platinum yet. Diamond level clearly show 200+ sea days....how ridiculous to think that all Platinum will be automatically grandfathered into "Diamond". Many of you are lucky with so few sea days to be considered "Platinum" at all.

Folks, they have changed the program, it appears Platinum perks have been removed and reassigned to a higher catagory of "loyal" cruisers....but be real about this, please! In many ways CCL is making the rewards program fairer by counting sea days and not the number of cruises no matter how long/short.

As a milestone cruiser (184 days) I am not sure I will qualify for diamond. The overall goal for this program is to reduce the number of upper tier passengers to bring costs down. Making all platinum members diamond makes no sense. I do think they will grandfather into platinum and some milestone will be grandfathered into diamond but who knows how many and what criteria they will use. Wait for the announcement and then we will really hear all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

From what I've read in the past, current Platinum cruisers would retain their Platinum status, whether they had enough sea days to achieve Platinum status or not under the new program. Now it seems Platinum cruisers want to get bumped up to Diamond status?!? How ridiculous! I have sailed several cruise lines and all of them were similar (or better) to Carnival in the product they offer but usually at a higher price. Now, if someone wants to spend more just to get extra perks (though not really perks since they're paying for them by paying a higher base price), they are free to do so. It's their vacation dollars. But I will never base my cruise decisions on what perks are available (which is why I've sailed several lines).

What are we getting to Cruise Welfare ? if you didn't get to your days at sea just give them to me. Why ? This is not a great program no matter what the spin, after we took are 25th cruise we got nothing from carnival for being milestone. Now after you become diamond with over 200 sea days and take that first cruise where you get a couble of 1 time items, after that you end up with Capt party and luggage tags for being Diamond, everything else is from Platinum. So we will just keep looking at the price , the perks are just not going to do it. The spin should be fantastic to read. Not much changed but alot of different names. It took 3+ years to come up with sometime thats the same.

overall I see both good & bad to this.

GOOD, I commented a year ago to my PVP that they should base the levels on the number of days cruised. Why should someone in FL who gets to take a bunch of 3 day cruises make Top Tier faster than someone who takes 7 day or even longer cruises. Under the old system a 14 day crossing cruise would only count as 1 toward plaatinum, while someone taking a bunch of B2B 3 days could get like 5 toward platinum. Overall this is much fairer to everyone.

What bothers me is how everyone is hung up on silly swag & such. I also made a comment that those who book Balconies & Suites should get more of a reward than those who book the cheap 1a and inside cabins. After all we contribute more to the Companies bottom line etc than they do, REWARD US !!!

I guess we will never please everyone. To me it is about the vacation & not the stupid reward. If you are so cheap that you have to worry about having free laundry or a dish of chocolate strawberries, then maybe you shouldnt be cruising.

From what I've read in the past, current Platinum cruisers would retain their Platinum status, whether they had enough sea days to achieve Platinum status or not under the new program. Now it seems Platinum cruisers want to get bumped up to Diamond status?!? How ridiculous! I have sailed several cruise lines and all of them were similar (or better) to Carnival in the product they offer but usually at a higher price. Now, if someone wants to spend more just to get extra perks (though not really perks since they're paying for them by paying a higher base price), they are free to do so. It's their vacation dollars. But I will never base my cruise decisions on what perks are available (which is why I've sailed several lines).

Amen, brother, well said. I recently booked a Celebrity cruise thru Celebrity and their front office is crap. Carnival is so far ahead of them with personal PVP's and service. I guess I'm spoiled. The perks are nice but to sail a particular line because of them is foolish.

It seems like nobody has yet to read the PDF that was posted. The diamond is NOT an upgrade in any way, none whatsoever. How is it ridiculous to say that current Platinum would be moved to Diamond? Its really the only way to help sooth over this PR nightmare that it has become. The Milestone cruisers are in a different program so we can't consider that as Diamond. Carnival said nobody would loose anything, if they stick to their word (which I high doubt) the only possible way to do that is make current Platinum Diamond, which I doubt. But that seems as though that's what is being reported from PVP's. It's in no way ridiculous, you just gotta read past the first three words of a post and understand what people are trying to explain. I for one don't give a rat !@# either way. The new Platinum program will suite me fine.

This is from jana60 post #778 on the other thread.

I just got off the phone from Carnival and the man I spoke to there told me that "all platinum past passengers will be grandfathered into Diamond statis". I asked him twice and he repeated it but that still seems too good to be true so it probably is NOT true! LOL. He also said that as I have personally completed 9 cruises and am booked for my 10th that I will definitely be Platinum for that cruise. I sincerely hope he is correct. I do think that Carnival should be aware of how their loyal frequent cruisers feel and so have no objection to someone telling Carnival what is said here on CC. I have been one of Carnivals biggest Fans, if you read my past posts. I will continue to be a fan because I enjoy their Cruises BUT I do think they need to make sure they don't alienate their past loyal customers just to save $30-$50 per. Most of the VIP privaledges don't even cost Carnival anything, (indeed the priority boarding and tendering are my most looked forward to perk and don't cost Carnival a penny) and so it wouldn't make sense to loose the business of folks over something like that. They need to know that!

Makes sense, if you are the highest level of what they have now, you should remain the highest level of whatever should come. Im Diamond on Royal after just 6 cruises, because they were before the switch over.

Milestone is a completely different program and that's why it's not listed under the new benefits. Other than the 25%, 50%, etc. OBC for the specific cruises there are no perks for Milestone and everything is the same as Platinum. On your 99th cruise you get the same things as on cruise number 10.

I think Diamond is a new tier that has no current equivalent and I do not think the current Platinum will be grandfathered into the Diamond level. Current Milestone cruisers will be put in the Platinum or Diamond level based on their number of cruise days sailed. I think that's the only fair way.

The Diamond level doesn't really have any great perks anyway. Everyone from Red on up gets a free drink at the Punchliner brunch, not the comedy club at night. Platinum and Diamond both lost the free slot or blackjack tourney entries. Diamond gets an invitation from the captain each cruise for something. The other new perks are only one time for the rest of forever and not once per cruise. Basically, after the few one time perks and not counting the captain's invite, the perks are the same as Platinum - again.

I'm still reserving judgement until the real and official announcement is made and still hoping it will be better considering all of the hype leading up to this. We should know the real scoop in June so I guess we just have to wait a few more weeks.

Milestone is a completely different program and that's why it's not listed under the new benefits. Other than the 25%, 50%, etc. OBC for the specific cruises there are no perks for Milestone and everything is the same as Platinum. On your 99th cruise you get the same things as on cruise number 10.

I think Diamond is a new tier that has no current equivalent and I do not think the current Platinum will be grandfathered into the Diamond level. Current Milestone cruisers will be put in the Platinum or Diamond level based on their number of cruise days sailed. I think that's the only fair way.

The Diamond level doesn't really have any great perks anyway. Everyone from Red on up gets a free drink at the Punchliner brunch, not the comedy club at night. Platinum and Diamond both lost the free slot or blackjack tourney entries. Diamond gets an invitation from the captain each cruise for something. The other new perks are only one time for the rest of forever and not once per cruise. Basically, after the few one time perks and not counting the captain's invite, the perks are the same as Platinum - again.

I'm still reserving judgement until the real and official announcement is made and still hoping it will be better considering all of the hype leading up to this. We should know the real scoop in June so I guess we just have to wait a few more weeks.

I agree with you almost completely. I dunno if Carnival with grandfather Platinum to Diamond. I doubt it, but I can really see it happening. Somebody said RCI did something similar. I don't personally know the history of that program.

A few Questions and Answers from JH

the new program launches a June 11th announcement. The program will take effect on sailings departing on or after June 25th.

But that is not written in stone...

currently Platinum and fall short of the 75 days qualification?

All current Platinum guests will remain Platinum regardless of the number of days (unless of course you have 200+ days, in which case you will become a Diamond member) I think that tells you that only Plats with 200 days become Diamond

Not ALL Plats...

So you are really close to reaching 10 cruises, do I now need to reach 75 days in order to become Platinum?

If you have (9) sailings you can earn Platinum status in the new program by taking your 10th cruise of any length within one year of the program effective date, June 25, 2012.

You say you only have (8) sailings? well you get a year and 1/2 to get those next two in...even those 3 or 4 day cruises will earn Platinum status if sailed by, oh say Christmas, 2013.

The Milestone program will remain in place and unchanged.

I only have 5 cruises and my port is not a Cruise type port,

and I only will have 6 cruises on my list by the time I would need 10,

but I do not cruise for the perks,

I cruise because the Cruise is my perk...

Yes, I know I am paying for my perk LOL So are all of you in one way or another :D

Actually diamond is new

My pvp said milestone is still unchanged, and not part of this (sorry to keep repeating this, but seems a lot of people are saying the opposite).

Im going to go with my PVP on this one.

So we are at 18 cruises with 99 days and a b2b (9 days) in jan.

Are we still platinum??

Here's what they'll say:

"You are not losing anything. You are still getting free laundry, with a limit of three bags as the only difference. You are still getting a free entry into the slot tourney, only change is that you need someone else to buy in- you'll get a neat looking Fun BOGO coupon. Enjoy your platinum benefits with CCL and thank you for cruising CCL (if you turn your back real fast, you'll see them flipping the bird at you).

That sums it very well. CCL could care less about it's longtime loyal customers (15 CCL cruises, 102 days @sea for us) and we get rewarded for this...

This is from jana60 post #778 on the other thread.

I just got off the phone from Carnival and the man I spoke to there told me that "all platinum past passengers will be grandfathered into Diamond statis". I asked him twice and he repeated it but that still seems too good to be true so it probably is NOT true! LOL. He also said that as I have personally completed 9 cruises and am booked for my 10th that I will definitely be Platinum for that cruise. I sincerely hope he is correct. I do think that Carnival should be aware of how their loyal frequent cruisers feel and so have no objection to someone telling Carnival what is said here on CC. I have been one of Carnivals biggest Fans, if you read my past posts. I will continue to be a fan because I enjoy their Cruises BUT I do think they need to make sure they don't alienate their past loyal customers just to save $30-$50 per. Most of the VIP privaledges don't even cost Carnival anything, (indeed the priority boarding and tendering are my most looked forward to perk and don't cost Carnival a penny) and so it wouldn't make sense to loose the business of folks over something like that. They need to know that!

I really hope that this is the case. My wife has 9 done and we are booked for # 10 in September. Our booking summary and boarding pass online say VIP in the top right. It would be a shame to be looking forward to this for so long and get screwed at the 11th hour.

So we are at 18 cruises with 99 days and a b2b (9 days) in jan.

Are we still platinum??

Im at 18 officially, 21, counting the 3 they dont have record of .. have not counted up my days but close to yours, and have 5 more booked.

Im told Im still platinum, not diamond... not grandfathered into diamond as the OP suggests.

still platinum.

Im one who used the free slots entry which was taken away. They can spin a buy one get one free all they want, but its not free any longer. Now you have to pay $20 to get in, even if you get to enter twice.

Can someone tell me what is the Ice thing? I searched but can find not answer that states what is going on with Ice

Apparently you must ask your room steward for ice now. However someone has reported that the steward's job no longer has him getting you ice but must call room service. Hopefully that is not the case.

Im at 18 officially, 21, counting the 3 they dont have record of .. have not counted up my days but close to yours, and have 5 more booked.

Im told Im still platinum, not diamond... not grandfathered into diamond as the OP suggests.

still platinum.

Im one who used the free slots entry which was taken away. They can spin a buy one get one free all they want, but its not free any longer. Now you have to pay $20 to get in, even if you get to enter twice.

You're still Platinum. The only ones that got screwed over here are folks that made Milestone with 25+ cruises and fall short of 200 days. Even though some have 30+ Cruises they will remain Platinum and will not be Grandfathered into Diamond. They need to have the 200 days to be Diamond. On the other hand, if someone has only 27 days over nine 3-Nite cruises the new rules state they can take a 3 Nite cruise through 2013 and become Platinum. Quite a screwing to those that have been loyal to this cruise line with 30+ cruises! Quite a smack in the face to those that have earned their Platinum status now! Different set of rules....speaks volumes on what they think of their loyal customers!!!

It looks like diamond get 1 cruise with extra perks after that cruise you get a Capt party for the rest of your cruises. If you ever get to 50 cruises you get a big 50% of your 1 time cruise in OBC just like we did with the 25 % or $300 we got for OBC. The more you spend on your cabin the more of what you spend they give you back as OBC to spend on the ship, thats milestone or as I have seen Platinum/Milestone. Then you are Platinum/Diamond because all the perks are in Platinum after your first diamond cruise. With Milestone we got nothing after the 25th cruise and diamond is the same after your diamond cruise, you get nothing, and thats a loyalty program we waited for for 3+ years. To spend the money to book extra cruises to reach for the perks carnival has, really has me woundering about some people. Carnival really sucked you in over the last few months. O to see the spin on this June 11th, it will be entertainment for months.

Milestone is not part of the loyalty program per se. It is a separate program whereby you receive OBC in the amount of 25%, 50%, 75%, or a free cruise for 100 cruises. This is one time per level.

The new program doesn't list a Milestone level because it does not belong there. There are no current perks for Milestone and we get what the Platinum level cruisers receive. The new program created a new level called Diamond for cruisers with 200+ days. Finally there is something extra for people that have a lot of days cruised. Currently the perks are the same for someone on their 35th, 68th, 94th, etc. cruise as on number 10. That never seemed fair to me.

The new Diamond level is still pretty pathetic since the perks of a free upgrade, free dinner in the specialty restaurant, and luggage tags are one time benefits, not once per cruise which would be a lot better. There is the invitation from the Captain, for something, on every cruise. All Past Guests receive a free drink at the Punchliner Brunch so that isn't a big deal for Diamond. Who wants an alcoholic beverage at brunch anyway? At least if it was at the nighttime comedy club that would be a lot better. We are really going to miss the free slot tourney entry as that was something we really enjoyed. We won't pay for that since we don't spend $20 in the casino.

We still have to wait until June 11 to see the official program before we can complain one way or the other. I agree that it doesn't look good at the moment and certainly not the super program that this was hyped to be.

Can someone tell me what is the Ice thing? I searched but can find not answer that states what is going on with Ice

returning cruisers are reporting you must contact guest services now for ice. the brand ambassador is posting that you will be asked if you want ice by the room steward.

the truth is somewhere in between.

You're still Platinum. The only ones that got screwed over here are folks that made Milestone with 25+ cruises and fall short of 200 days. Even though some have 30+ Cruises they will remain Platinum and will not be Grandfathered into Diamond. They need to have the 200 days to be Diamond. On the other hand, if someone has only 27 days over nine 3-Nite cruises the new rules state they can take a 3 Nite cruise through 2013 and become Platinum. Quite a screwing to those that have been loyal to this cruise line with 30+ cruises! Quite a smack in the face to those that have earned their Platinum status now! Different set of rules....speaks volumes on what they think of their loyal customers!!!

I couldn't agree more... Carnival execs listen to the outcry!!!!

still platinum.

I agree!! Always liked/did the "free" slot entry. Even if we "get one free" we probably will skip it.

Apparently you must ask your room steward for ice now. However someone has reported that the steward's job no longer has him getting you ice but must call room service. Hopefully that is not the case.

If this is true they should put a couple of ice machines on every pax floor.

Archived