Capri on your own?

passy

Hi

I'm on the Celebrity Solstice next week with my mum and we dock at Naples.

We would like to visit Capri and I've looked into catching the hydrofoil to do it on our own (not a fan of organised tours!).

My mum is a bit of a worrier and will possibly panic about not getting back to our ship on time!

Can anyone give me any info about how reliable the hydrofoils are to and from Capri/Naples??

Many thanks!!

Hi

I'm on the Celebrity Solstice next week with my mum and we dock at Naples.

We would like to visit Capri and I've looked into catching the hydrofoil to do it on our own (not a fan of organised tours!).

My mum is a bit of a worrier and will possibly panic about not getting back to our ship on time!

Can anyone give me any info about how reliable the hydrofoils are to and from Capri/Naples??

Many thanks!!

They are very reliable unless there happens to be some awful weather/high seas. Even the cruise tours use these same boats. I do suggest buying your return ticket as soon as you arrive at Capri (Marina Grande) where there is a ticket office located at the end of the pier (on your right). On the other hand, if your mum is going to fret all day about missing the ship you can just pay the big bucks and book the cruise ship excursion.

Hank

The hydrofoils are reliable but use common sense. Get an early start, don't plan to return on the last one to make the cruise ship. It has been 5 years since I was there, at that time we were told to buy our return ticket as soon as we arrived at Capri. Ask directions to the ticket booth. I would advise going all the way to the top initially, Anacapri, then work you way down the island to Capri, then down to the dock level. It is a wonderful day trip.

I willl be on a cruise that stops in Naples in the fall of 2013. I have always wanted to go to Capri. However, I don't like the one excursion Princess offers as it primarily just does the town of Capri. I do want to see the town but really would like to take a boat ride through the grotto. Is it possible to take the hydrofoil, see a bit of the town and do the grotto in one day? And, since I've never been to Europe would this cause me some stress in getting back to the ship?

We did this last week from the Silhouette. Took the hydrofoil from Naples, got to Capri and went to the left to buy a return timed ticket,(Ride over looked very calm, but we were surprised that it was quite wavy. Glad we took some bonine. There were sick people on the boat.) We took the funiculum to Capri then walked around. Lots of high end shopping and winding paths. Found a walkway that took us to the water and found an amazing restaurant with a great view. White table cloths and white dinner jackets on the servers. In retrospect, I wish we had taken a taxi to Annacapri, not the funiculum to Capri once we got off the hydrofoil. We had a great day, but wish we had seen Annacapri

I willl be on a cruise that stops in Naples in the fall of 2013. I have always wanted to go to Capri. However, I don't like the one excursion Princess offers as it primarily just does the town of Capri. I do want to see the town but really would like to take a boat ride through the grotto. Is it possible to take the hydrofoil, see a bit of the town and do the grotto in one day? And, since I've never been to Europe would this cause me some stress in getting back to the ship?

Capri is a very easy DIY trip from Naples. The ferry pier, Molo Beverello, is right next to the cruise port (Molo Angioino). As others have already mentioned, buy your return ticket when you arrive on Capri, and don't shoot for the very last boat that will get you back on time.

A typical stop of 7AM - 7PM will give you a nice, long day on Capri with plenty of time to explore both the towns (Capri and Anacapri), the chair lift to the top of Monte Solaro, and the Blue Grotto.

We ate there! Great food- the hydrofoil is very easy just buy your return ticket when you buy your outbound so you won't have to worry. I wish I had bought some of those handmade sandals in AnaCapri- never found any like them ever again. Guess I will have to go back lol

The problem with purchasing your return ticket at the same time as your outbound one is that you limit yourself to one boat line, which may not have a crossing at the most advantageous time. (At Molo Beverello in Naples each line has its own ticket office.)

If you wait and purchase your return ticket when you arrive on Capri you can choose from all of the lines, as all tickets are sold in one place.

The problem with purchasing your return ticket at the same time as your outbound one is that you limit yourself to one boat line, which may not have a crossing at the most advantageous time. (At Molo Beverello in Naples each line has its own ticket office.)

If you wait and purchase your return ticket when you arrive on Capri you can choose from all of the lines, as all tickets are sold in one place.

Hi Euro-cruiser,

You seem to know so so so much about italy, I really need your help with a question. I am taking a cruise on August 28, 2012 leaving from Venice arriving in Rome. One of our ports of call is Naples. Do you know of any tours that offer a boat tour of Amalfi and then Capri. I found one company but they are asking 1250 euros for 8 people. Price pretty high plus I would have to find the extra people. My e-mail is pierrejoe@sympatico.ca if you would like to send me info

tks

Joanne

Almalfi coast and Capri are too much to do in one day, Unless you like rushing your visits to these areas.

I was looking for a tour that just sailed by the Amali coast, went around the island of Capri then perhaps gave us a few hours to visit Capri. I found one tour operator but she is charging 1250 euros for 8 people

Joanne

I was looking for a tour that just sailed by the Amali coast, went around the island of Capri then perhaps gave us a few hours to visit Capri. I found one tour operator but she is charging 1250 euros for 8 people

Joanne

you may want to check-out www.amalfiboatexcursion.com - good reviews and reasonable price for 'semi-private' boat tour. sails along Amalfi coast and around Capri, w/some time to explore Capri town-Anacapri. website has some beautiful photos, outlines itinerary, time schedule, etc etc. you may have already 'found' this co., but, if not, may be worth checking it out. sounds like it might be what you're looking for...?

you may want to check-out www.amalfiboatexcursion.com - good reviews and reasonable price for 'semi-private' boat tour. sails along Amalfi coast and around Capri, w/some time to explore Capri town-Anacapri. website has some beautiful photos, outlines itinerary, time schedule, etc etc. you may have already 'found' this co., but, if not, may be worth checking it out. sounds like it might be what you're looking for...?

Tks for information, but yes this is the company I found and they have a terrific tour, but they charge 1250 Euros for 8 people for the day, which is pretty pricey,.....

Tks

Joanne

Tks for information, but yes this is the company I found and they have a terrific tour, but they charge 1250 Euros for 8 people for the day, which is pretty pricey,.....

Tks

Joanne

that sounds like rate for PRIVATE tour. if you click on 4th tab on right side of homepage ('how to book' or 'about us'), there it says 'SEMI-private' tour is 99EUR/pp. same page also says they have a half-day excursion, which sails along Amalfi Coast only - no Capri. not sure if timing/schedule, etc will work for you - did not for me - but sure wish it could have! sounds like a wonderful excursion!! maybe another time...would be great day-trip if on land tour along Amalfi Coast vs. 1-day port-of-call visit.

recent tripadvisor reviewers quote same price - so it must 'exist' - GREAT price, I think! but perhaps simply not possible to do, time-wise, if in port one-day via cruiseship?

that sounds like rate for PRIVATE tour. if you click on 4th tab on right side of homepage ('how to book' or 'about us'), there it says 'SEMI-private' tour is 99EUR/pp. same page also says they have a half-day excursion, which sails along Amalfi Coast only - no Capri. not sure if timing/schedule, etc will work for you - did not for me - but sure wish it could have! sounds like a wonderful excursion!! maybe another time...would be great day-trip if on land tour along Amalfi Coast vs. 1-day port-of-call visit.

recent tripadvisor reviewers quote same price - so it must 'exist' - GREAT price, I think! but perhaps simply not possible to do, time-wise, if in port one-day via cruiseship?[/quote

Unforntunately I checked that option out also. the 99 euro is if you take the tour directly from Amalfi. Since our ship is docking in Naples I would have to get to Amalfi by 10.00 when the tour departs, not very easy. I wish our ship was docking in Sorrento that would be so much easier for excursions.

joanne

Archived