Zaandam cabins

Frankie Sue

Good morning all,

I need your help............... We are planning a 2013 cruise on the Zaandam. We have always sailed in balcony cabins or better, but with this longer itinerary (over 20 days) , only a window cabin will fit our budget.

Of all the window cabin categories, I would really appreciate your views on which category is better............. Holland America's website gives a very wide range of sizes.........

Thanks a lot to help me make the right choice.

On the R-class (and S-class) ships we like the outsides on the Lower Promenade deck for the easy access to the "largest balcony on the ship" - but don't pick anything under the galley (3370 to 3402). These LP cabins are about a foot shorter than the Main or Dolphin deck outsides. We think the DD are the best price-wise, and those under the MDR are not noisy.

Our second choice would be a D on the Main deck near the center elevators/stairs.

Edited by catl331

Thank you so much Carol. Now I am confident that we will have a comfortable cabin. We are a little bit apprehensive about booking a window as opposed to balcony, but we figure a window view at sea, beats the view from our back patio...... Thank you very much

We have stayed in cabin 7083 and 7086 on the Zaandam. They are one door away from the aft deck.

Previously known as secret cabins because they were priced as interior but still had a window. :)

Rockfan2

We were in a DA on Main Deck, 2557, and it was great. Right around the corner from the elevator and a quick hop up the stairs to the lower promenade deck. Our friends were next door in 2553. Both very comfortable and very convenient.

• 1 month later...

I've sailed in the equivalent of 7086 on the Amsterdam (cabin 7056) and it is a fantastic cabin, as others said - just steps away (five to be exact) from the secret aft deck on the Navigation deck. Yes, it is a regular size window that all the ocean view cabins have - maybe a teensy bit bigger (?) or maybe it just appears that way because it is not above the bed - it is next to the bed. That is terrific because you can walk right up to the window rather than crawling to the head of the bed to see out the window in a regular oceanview cabin. Do give 7086 a shot - I think you'll like it!

Curious about these cabins on the Navigation deck. Are they truly OV or do they look out at the deck? I have already booked a cruise on the Zaandam with my cabin on the Main deck. I'd really prefer something on a higher deck but can't afford the balcony this time out.

Those cabins look out on the small aft deck so you have terrific wake views, unimpeded as the railings are open. By small, I mean maybe 16 ft. feet deep and the width of the ship. There were plenty of loungers there as well as two of those wooden benches with the ship's name on it for seating. The stairs up to the aft Lido deck are there so its easy to get snacks or something from the bar or access to the Lido buffet. We love those cabins, and it was the next best thing to having a balcony for us. Hardly anyone uses those "secret" decks so we felt like they were our balcony. And we're aft lovers to begin with, its sheltered from the wind and rain (important for an Alaskan cruise), yet provides the spectacular views all around.

We snagged 7083 on the Zaandam for a January 21 day cruise. Pretty excited!! We've been in DDs and HHs on lower promenade before. I think these go pretty fast so I was surprised to see one available.

The pictures I saw showed a different configuration that other outsides. Any comments on that from those of you who've been in one. Desk space looked really small. :confused:

Hi everyone:

Any other suggestions for best window cabins on the Zaandam. From your suggestions, I am tempted to book 7083 or 7086. Is it a regular size window?

thanks again for your help.

These cabins are right under the SeaView Pool. Could be noisy if sailing in a warm climate with loungers being moved around & early morning washing of the deck.

I'm just off the Zaandam & had cabin 2579. Very roomy with lots of closet & drawer space. This is a very quiet location on the ship, close to gangway and forward elevators. I travel alone so had the bed made into twins which made the room appear bigger as you can walk right up to the window to look out. Regardless of where you have your cabin you will enjoy the Zaandam.:)

I am a bit confused about Zaandam cabins 7083 and 7086 as Holland America's deck plan of the Zaandam shows them as Interior?? Anyone has any pictures of those cabins? If what you all say is correct, they could be my best option. Thanks for sharing.

We have stayed in cabin 7083 and 7086 on the Zaandam. They are one door away from the aft deck.

Previously known as secret cabins because they were priced as interior but still had a window. :)

Rockfan2

Yes, I stayed there once as well. Well-kept secret, until now!

I will be sailing my first HAL cruise on July 29 on the Zandaam. We are in Cabin 2552 on the main deck. Anybody know anything about cabins in that area. Our TA chose it for us.

Thanks!

It is in a quiet part of the ship - nothing should disturb you at night. It's close to ganway and forward elevators. I love the Zaandam and hope you will too. Enjoy your cruise & may the SUN SHINE. If you like a drink or two, please say hello to Nestor from Mum Gail who enjoyed the poor man's Gran Marnier. He was working in Ocean Bar when I cruised earlier this year.:)

I am a bit confused about Zaandam cabins 7083 and 7086 as Holland America's deck plan of the Zaandam shows them as Interior?? Anyone has any pictures of those cabins? If what you all say is correct, they could be my best option. Thanks for sharing.

Go to this websitepaperclip.gif sticky.gif Sticky:Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page) and click on Volendam which is identical to Zaandam - lots of pictures of 7086.

I will be sailing my first HAL cruise on July 29 on the Zandaam. We are in Cabin 2552 on the main deck. Anybody know anything about cabins in that area. Our TA chose it for us.

I agree with solocanadian. The cabin is well located. Easy to get to the forward elevator/staircase, short walk to the mid-ship elevator/staircase. Cabin decks above and below.

I would be very happy there.

It is in a quiet part of the ship - nothing should disturb you at night. It's close to ganway and forward elevators. I love the Zaandam and hope you will too. Enjoy your cruise & may the SUN SHINE. If you like a drink or two, please say hello to Nestor from Mum Gail who enjoyed the poor man's Gran Marnier. He was working in Ocean Bar when I cruised earlier this year.:)

Thanks for the positive feedback! I assume you mean that Nestor was the bartender, but what is "Mum Gail" a "poor man's Gran Mariner". (can you tell I've led a sheltered life?) lol:o

I agree with solocanadian. The cabin is well located. Easy to get to the forward elevator/staircase, short walk to the mid-ship elevator/staircase. Cabin decks above and below.

I would be very happy there.

Thanks Ruth! I've enjoyed reading several of your post on the boards. The only thing that concerned me is when I looked at the lay-out of the deck above, it looks like we're right under the Atrium. Isn't that a busy place?!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I assume you mean that Nestor was the bartender, but what is "Mum Gail" a "poor man's Gran Mariner". (can you tell I've led a sheltered life?) lol:o

Nestor is a bar tender, my name is Gail & he called me Mum Gail like a lot of the bar tenders do. A poor man's Grand Marnier is Orange Curacao (an orange flavoured liquore. Have fun! :D

Thanks Ruth! I've enjoyed reading several of your post on the boards. The only thing that concerned me is when I looked at the lay-out of the deck above, it looks like we're right under the Atrium. Isn't that a busy place?!

The Atrium is all carpeted so you should not get any noise from there, especially at night time when most passengers are in bed.

The only thing that concerned me is when I looked at the lay-out of the deck above, it looks like we're right under the Atrium. Isn't that a busy place?!

Lower Promenade is the lowest level of the Atrium. People do pass through there on their way to/from their cabins. Sometimes it's a meeting place for folks heading off to excursions. Once in a while there is an indoor activity, like putting, held there.

That area of the Atrium itself is pretty much lined with offices.

Once again, I agree with solocanadian---nothing going on there at night.