RCCL vs CCL

pinkmaija

We've been on both and they both have ups and downs. Our first 2 cruises were ccl and our last was royle. Every body said how much better Royal was so tried it. Needless to say our next 2 cruises are booked back on ccl. We did not fill we got anymore out of Royal for the extra $$. To me food, shows, overall ship, staff (except officers, had one get nasty with us), crowds and so on seem comparable.

We have been on both - just a short one on RCCL. We prefer CCL - we did not enjoy the food at all on RCCL. I know that is subjective, but we just felt kind of let down by the whole RCCL experience. The cabin was def. smaller - and I will always have RCCL to blame for turning DH and I on to balconies ;). I think it is simply a personal choice, and something you have to decide on your own.

I just came off the Magic. I was on Mariner last November.

RCCL - I like the Mariner better than the Magic.

CCL - I like the food better.

RCCL - The crowds were better.

Entertainment is equal. Wait staff and cleaning staff equal.

CCL seems to go after the kids more and get more.

In the end I will sail on both depending on schedule.

Throw Disney in the mix... It's Hammer time! :D

We have been on both - just a short one on RCCL. We prefer CCL - we did not enjoy the food at all on RCCL. I know that is subjective, but we just felt kind of let down by the whole RCCL experience. The cabin was def. smaller - and I will always have RCCL to blame for turning DH and I on to balconies ;). I think it is simply a personal choice, and something you have to decide on your own.

Sounds like you took one of the older ships which are not really typical RCL and indeed have smaller cabins... too bad you couldnt try a newer RCL ship. I bet you did Monarch, SOV or Majesty right?? though SOV is gone and the next one is now sold as well. RCL is doing away with this class of ship .. sad some try them and assume they are typical.

OP I too would say they are comparable .. though RCL has some much nicer ships .. the cruise experience is similar. I just got off jewel OTS and thought it was my favorite ship ever. I did Oasis twice... Im diamond on RCL but have more on Carnival because its the only one I can drive to year round.

Ships (other than the smallest ones above), RCL wins hands down, not even close.

Food and service .. similar. .. of course Oasis is hands above anything on Carnival of course.... so much depends on the ships.

OP you dont say which ships .. and RCL varys so much vs Carnival where everything is pretty much the same from one ship to another, even cabin sizes.

As another poster stated this is very subjective.

I have taken 13 CCL cruises to different places and varying lengths.

I have taken 3 RCCL cruises, a 3 day, 7 day and a 14 day transatlantic.

I have found overall (varies from cruise to cruise) I enjoy the food more on CCL.

I enjoy going to the piano bar, and enjoy the ones on CCL more.

I never saw anyone in the disco on RCCL, not the case with CCL.

The decor of the ship is nicer on RCCL.

There is no real M&M for CCL, and only in the last year will CCL put something in the daily paper about a CC mingle.

On my last (14 day) RCCL cruise I had a cabin stewart who wanted to do as little as possible on the other hand the people in the Windjammer at night couldn't of been nicer of more helpful.

I have spoken to cruise directors on both lines, and on some cruises never saw them unless I was in the showroom.

I have found the people friendlier on Carnival.

I am sure you will have a great trip.

Royal has been more expensive for me--have not been on Royal since 2006, though, but have searched prices.

CCL food had been better than Royal, but recently has declined (so conceivably may be more in line with Royal).

Royal focuses on a lot of "adventure" activities, which have no interest for me (zip line, flow-rider, etc.), so I'm not willing to pay for those extras.

Royal's standard cabins tend to be smaller than Carnival's.

Royal cruise director was more involved directly with passenger's and actually hosted the different poolside "contests" unlike on Carnival where the CD's subordinates host these events. Not that this matters to me--just pointing out differences, as requested.

Magic has a Italian place, $12 for dinner, but its free for lunch, if you like Italian, I hear its good (I dont like Italian).

MagicPreview034.jpg

I want to try the burrito bar and Tandori (Indian food). I was only on Magic a short time, but have it booked for Sept. Magic is gorgeous in a deep green and the atrium very impressive.

Magic has a rope course that you might enjoy.

MagicPreview050-1.jpg

We saw a concert for the Galveston send off of Magic, on the big screen by the main pool.

MagicPreview054.jpg

Sounds like you took one of the older ships which are not really typical RCL and indeed have smaller cabins... too bad you couldnt try a newer RCL ship. I bet you did Monarch, SOV or Majesty right?? though SOV is gone and the next one is now sold as well. RCL is doing away with this class of ship .. sad some try them and assume they are typical.

I was on the Seranade when she was brand new, so it was comparable.

Archived