Celebrity transfer airport to Barcelona port

dln929

My husband and I are flying in the day of our cruise on the Solstice. Yes, I know, not the best way to do it but at least we booked using Choice Air so I'm not worried. We booked the airport transfer. How does this work exactly? When we get through customs will there be a driver with our name on placards? Do we wait until he/she fills the shuttle and then leave to the port or do we have exclusive use of the driver?

Thank you both. Now next question is, we arrive on a Delta flight at 8:30 am. I suppose we should allow up to an hour to get through customs. This means we will get to the port pretty early, maybe before the boarding time? (How do I find out how early we can board?) What do you suggest we do? Can we check in our luggage?

Thank you both. Now next question is, we arrive on a Delta flight at 8:30 am. I suppose we should allow up to an hour to get through customs. This means we will get to the port pretty early, maybe before the boarding time? (How do I find out how early we can board?) What do you suggest we do? Can we check in our luggage?

Those are very good questions Millie and I will be on the same flight. I wouldn't mind a little tour of the City.

Those are very good questions Millie and I will be on the same flight. I wouldn't mind a little tour of the City.

You might like this then. The tour starts at 11 am. http://www.runnerbeantours.com/old-city-free-walking-tour.php What I want to know is can I get rid of my luggage even though it may be before boarding time! :eek:

You will only have your carry on bags to worry about. You don't see your main luggage until it reaches your room.

If you are very early there is a left luggage at the port. You might catch the port bus (small cost I think) to spend a couple of hours in Barcelona.

Boarding begins around 11-11:30, so you might wait to board.

It is a large airport, my guess is you will reach the port around 10:30.

Explore Barcelona if you can.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I ended up calling Celebrity and I was told that embarkation wouldn't begin until 2 pm. That does seem a little late, doesn't it? Also, the rep said we'd have to keep our bags with us until official check-in.

I think I may call again because all this doesn't seem to add up to me. The Solstice departs at 5 pm. Surely there's more than a 3 hour window? I thought the law said we'd have to be on board a full 90 minutes before departure! And why would I not be able to hand over our luggage to our driver to give to the porters even though it is early? This is very strange.

When we arrived into Barcelona, on an early flight with included transfers, Celebrity included a bus tour of the main highlights before taking us to the port. However this was a few years ago, so things may have changed.

When we do our own flights and arrive early we just drop our bags with the luggage porters and then get a bus or a taxi into the City it is not far from the port in Barcelona.

This is a tour I hope to book for our transfer in October - presuming it is offered. Tours have not been posted yet.

Embark Transfer to Ship via Barcelona City Tour, BRB3

Approx. Duration: 4 hour(s)

Current Price: 65.00 Adult (USD)

This tour can only be offered to guests with arriving flights on the day of embarkation before 9:15 am at Barcelona's EL PRAT Airport (BCN). Guests will be met at their arrival flight. Participants must provide their flight details to shorex@rccl.com on/before 7 days prior to arrival into Barcelona. Otherwise, it is the guest's responsibility to be in front of the Tourism Information Office located in Terminal 1, outside Customs, no later than 10:15 am. Guests arriving with flights landing at Terminal 2 will need to take the complimentary shuttle provided by the airport over to Terminal 1 where the meeting point is located.

This tour is your opportunity to enjoy a small taste of Barcelona before your embarkation transfer to the ship.

Your tour departs from the airport and your coach will take you to Montjuich Hill, which was claimed by the city on the occasion of the 1929 International Exposition, when the Trade Fair Halls and Sports Installations were constructed as well as the parks and gardens which can be found all over the mountain. Today it is the most important recreational area in Barcelona. You will pass by Plaza Catalunya, the Olympic Ring, the Spanish Village making a brief stop at the Mirador del Alcalde a panoramic photo. Driving by the Columbus Statue and Plaza Catalunya you will reach the famous boulevard, Passeig de Gracia, where your guide will point out one of the masterpieces of Gaudi's architecture: the Casa Milà or most known by Barcelonians "La Pedrera House" and Casa Batllo. Once the coach reaches Diagonal Avenue, you will enter the upper Eixample area where the Sagrada Familia Temple is located. From the exterior, guides will offer you a full explanation of all the details related to the Temple. You will continue to the Gothic Quarter where you will receive explanations from the exterior of the 13th century Cathedral whose construction was begun in 1298. Then enjoy a relaxing walk into the Gothic Quarter where the remains of the Roman City survive alongside Medieval Buildings, witnesses to a splendid past and where the Catalan monarchy held its court for five hundred years. Once the tour is concluded, you will proceed with your drive to the port and your waiting ship.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 0.5 mile over even and cobblestone surfaces with 45 steps. The Cathedral is closed on Sundays, during special events and during Catholic mass services.

I've just returned from a Celebrity cruise which started in Barcelona, I have to say it took longer to get to the ship than it took to fly from London to Barcelona.

Once we had a luggage it was passed to porters who then loaded it onto lorries to take to the ship. We were then taken by bus to another terminal in the airport to complete our check-in for the ship, we were given our sea-passes at this check-in. Then back onto a bus and taken to the ship, once you get to the ship you go past the lines waiting to check-in and get straight on the ship. This process took nearly 3 hours.

Having said that we had a great cruise, although this is the first time we have ever checked in at the airport for the ship.

Boarding will probably begin closer to 11:00 AM unless there is some problem/issue. Not sure why they are saying the 2:00 time as my documents clearly state you need to be on board 90 minutes in advance.

And just to be clear, you will need to pick up your bags at the airport in Barcelona, but once you've checked in with the Celebrity reps and given your bags to the bus/truck driver they will be delivered to your room. I once met someone who thought that since they put their celebrity tags on their luggage at the start of their flight they'd be automatically delivered to the plane :eek: Good thing they figured out in time to get back in the airport and pick them up.

As far as customs, last time I flew into Barcelona it was much less owneress than it is travelling to Canada and the US. That was a few years ago so perhaps things have changed.

We have always been able to board earlier than 2 p.m., the latest was at 12 o'clock - we have done this 3 times in Barcelona. It's a very nice port to embark and just a few steps from the transfer coach to the building.

The airport in B. is easy to manage, really modern and well-structured, exit signs, baggage pick-up etc. all easy to find ( signs in English), but be prepared for a long hike in the building - it's a long way to/from the gates.

Last cruise we went on we saw officials with Celebrity signs waiting for passengers and there was a also a huge placard showing the way to the pick-up point. Everything's well-organized. Don't worry.

Personally we find it easier to use a txi to port - same prices and we don#t have to wait until the coach is full.

Can anyone give me an estimation of the cab fare from the airport to the cruise port in Barcelona? We're not cruising until November, but I'd like to have an idea of how much to budget for.

Thank you!!

Julie

Thank you so much everyone for this information. I must say that neither my husband and I get much sleep on transatlantic flights so we're always a bit muddle-headed when we arrive! That's why we like to know as much as we can ahead of time. :D

Can anyone give me an estimation of the cab fare from the airport to the cruise port in Barcelona? We're not cruising until November, but I'd like to have an idea of how much to budget for.

Thank you!!

Julie

There are supplements for luggage, so it varies.

Budget for 30-35 euro approx

There are supplements for luggage, so it varies.

Budget for 30-35 euro approx

Thank you SO much for the information! Does one tip the cab driver like we do here in the US? Is 10 -15% appropriate?

Thank you SO much for the information! Does one tip the cab driver like we do here in the US? Is 10 -15% appropriate?

Tipping is far less important, not a %. If you get good help with your bags then go ahead with a thank you maybe 2 euro.

Without bags, just round up the cost with coins, maybe 1 euro.

For a week our two you can experience life without concern over tipping etiquette. You might like it....

Tipping is far less important, not a %. If you get good help with your bags then go ahead with a thank you maybe 2 euro.

Without bags, just round up the cost with coins, maybe 1 euro.

For a week our two you can experience life without concern over tipping etiquette. You might like it....

What a blessing that would be ~ I like it already!! :) Thank you again for your help!!

Julie

Archived