Nassau non tourist spots

While I've never been to Nassau (maybe on my next cruise), I don't know how safe it'd be to go outside the tourist areas. I'd be OK with doing that in Cozumel and some eastern Caribbean islands, but not in ports where vendors are very pushy. You can only say "no thanks" so many times before your patience runs out.

I was in Nassau last week and I and my traveling companion (two females) did a 2-hour self-guided walking tour which included at least one of the sites mentioned in the article (Fort Fincastle). There were lots of people (mostly tourists) around everywhere and we never felt uneasy or unsafe.

We were asked if we wanted tour guides near the cruise ship and at the Queen's Staircase. A smile and a polite "No, thank you" were sufficient. Nobody harassed us about anything.

We were in Nassau on May 11th armed with this article ripped out of my newly arrived Budget Travel. I've been to Nassau 10 times and this was by far my favorite trip!

We got off the ship, found a cab for the four of us, and negotiated a price of $20/pp to take us to the sights that we wanted to see. I showed him the article and he agreed that we chose the right ones.

We went to the Queen's Staircase and the fort, not for the first time, but the fort has more open to see than the last time we were there and for $1, well worth it!

We then went to Potter's Cay. I can tell you that this was my favorite experience of any trip to Nassau! We watched them take our conch off the arriving boat and I have pictures of her taking the conch out of the shell. We ordered fresh conch salad and fresh conch fritters. We had some ice cold Kalik and enjoyed listening to the locals. My husband was offered some "good stuff," but he politely declined and they moved on.

We never felt unsafe! Potter's Cay is absolutely our favorite place in Nassau!

We were in Nassau on May 11th armed with this article ripped out of my newly arrived Budget Travel. I've been to Nassau 10 times and this was by far my favorite trip!

We got off the ship, found a cab for the four of us, and negotiated a price of $20/pp to take us to the sights that we wanted to see. I showed him the article and he agreed that we chose the right ones.

We went to the Queen's Staircase and the fort, not for the first time, but the fort has more open to see than the last time we were there and for $1, well worth it!

We then went to Potter's Cay. I can tell you that this was my favorite experience of any trip to Nassau! We watched them take our conch off the arriving boat and I have pictures of her taking the conch out of the shell. We ordered fresh conch salad and fresh conch fritters. We had some ice cold Kalik and enjoyed listening to the locals. My husband was offered some "good stuff," but he politely declined and they moved on.

We never felt unsafe! Potter's Cay is absolutely our favorite place in Nassau!

That sounds like a pretty fun personal excursion. My wife and I were just there last week for our first time and I absolutely hated the port. We couldn't walk 5 feet without being harassed, heck I didn’t feel safe on the main road area, not from people on foot but from people driving. The driving is bad over there. We found a nice Greek restaurant and had lunch and went back to the ship early, but it sounds like your excursion might be an alternative if we ever go back.

Archived