Wine on Princess?

coolkris666

Oh, I'm familiar with reserves...and I can name a number of excellent Italian Riservas....but Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio ain't one of them. It's widely found at Olive Garden for around $26 depending on local taxes, and it's about as "Reserve" as nothing - it's the largest-selling imported pinot grigio in the US.

I'm very sensitive to people putting a lot of snobbery around wine. That particular wine would have made a nice addition to the regular list and most people would find it approachable, drinkable and a good match to the menu. Odds are good if they didn't chance into it at Sabatinis or Bayou Cafe, they didn't even see it on the list and ordered something less interesting.

Eric

Geez! One person posts a question, which gets answered,

After a post get answered it is time to play. And keep it toward the top so the question will not get asked again for a while.

I dont think a question really ever gets answered to everyones satisfaction. We keep it on top so others can weight in.

And always searching for the truth but some of us "Can't handle the truth"

Kaffee: I want the truth!

Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

from

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/fewgood.html

Spongerob

I am on the Sea out of Southampton this Thursday. I will be visiting the local off license shop (liquor store to you across the pond) to buy a case of wine. Wine is quite inexpensive there. I will let you know exactly how much and the location relative to the terminal.

Okie Dokie?

SC

continues as a "cat fight" between posters

So now you want to talk about "Cat Fights"

..is a sexist, derogatory term describing a brawl between two women

from

http://www.womansplace.net/cwws/doing/definitions.html

as well as provoking a handful of trademark catfights, beginning with one in the Carrington estate's art studio

from

http://www.onelang.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Dynasty_(TV_series)

Costco Price is $17 which IMHO is WAY overpriced. I did pick it up last year in a Grocery Store at our stop in Acapulco for $12 and took it to the ship. But at least the markup is not much if it is sold for $36. /Sultan

Partial Quote:

but Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio ain't one of them. It's widely found at Olive Garden for around $26 depending on local taxes, and it's about as "Reserve" as nothing - it's the largest-selling imported pinot grigio in the US.

Eric

{Spongerob: I am on the Sea out of Southampton this Thursday. I will be visiting the local off license shop (liquor store to you across the pond) to buy a case of wine. Wine is quite inexpensive there. I will let you know exactly how much and the location relative to the terminal.

Okie Dokie? -SC}

SC: I would love to know the price of some good cabernet on your side of the pond. Love bubbly, too. Of course, "inexpensive " is a relative term when you have to multiply X 2....!

But, in the interest of good Foreign Relations, I will "suck it up" ( to use an American-at-Summer-Camp idiom) and pony up the pound, if need be.....

-Catherine

Spongerob

I am on the Sea out of Southampton this Thursday. I will be visiting the local off license shop (liquor store to you across the pond) to buy a case of wine. Wine is quite inexpensive there. I will let you know exactly how much and the location relative to the terminal.

Okie Dokie?

SC

That wouldn't be an Oddbins, would it? I'll appreciate the info - normally we bring some of our locally produced wine, some of which is a surprisingly good value, but weight limits will preclude that this trip. If it's a choice between home-grown wine and the coffee maker, my morning cup of joe wins! I'll be awaiting your report. Okus Dokus!

Does anyone know of a reputable online company that we can buy wine through who will deliver to the Golden out of Southampton? I don't want to bring it all the way from Chicago, nor do I want to buy it in England (we are getting killed by the exchange rate, dear Mr. President).
If you want wine delivered to the ship in the UK, it will be virtually impossible to do it other than by buying it in the UK. The only practicable way is to have it delivered to the ship duty-paid and tax-paid, and the only practicable way of doing that is to buy it through a UK retailer. But you may well be able to find a UK retailer who will take an order online and execute it.

Costco Price is $17 which IMHO is WAY overpriced. I did pick it up last year in a Grocery Store at our stop in Acapulco for $12 and took it to the ship. But at least the markup is not much if it is sold for $36. /Sultan

Partial Quote:

$17 a bottle is not bad ..Local Sam's wanted $21 a bottle and it is 2003 ....

Btw, does anyone know where in San Pedro (near the cruise terminal) that I can find liquor store ? definitely don't want to drag some bottles from hotel (which is at Pasadena the night before). :D

thx...

That wouldn't be an Oddbins, would it? I'll appreciate the info - normally we bring some of our locally produced wine, some of which is a surprisingly good value, but weight limits will preclude that this trip. If it's a choice between home-grown wine and the coffee maker, my morning cup of joe wins! I'll be awaiting your report. Okus Dokus!

They probably have an Oddbins but I was thinking more of a local supermarket, ASDA (Wallmart to you). They have an excellent selection and I think there is a store not far from the terminal. They are on www.asda.com

SC

{Spongerob: I am on the Sea out of Southampton this Thursday. I will be visiting the local off license shop (liquor store to you across the pond) to buy a case of wine. Wine is quite inexpensive there. I will let you know exactly how much and the location relative to the terminal.

Okie Dokie? -SC}

SC: I would love to know the price of some good cabernet on your side of the pond. Love bubbly, too. Of course, "inexpensive " is a relative term when you have to multiply X 2....!

But, in the interest of good Foreign Relations, I will "suck it up" ( to use an American-at-Summer-Camp idiom) and pony up the pound, if need be.....

-Catherine

Catherine

I agree that inexpensive is a relative term but so is the phrase 'good' I suppose. If you follow the link below to a local supemarket, they have a range of inexpensive (relative) and good (relative) wines, including cabernet. www.asda.com

I can only imagine what the phrase 'pony up the pound' means. The mind boggles. It is quite nice for us Brits to wallow in our new found wealth from the strength of the pound against the dollar. Maybe this will mean that we will all be a bit more generous in our tipping habits!

SC

I can only imagine what the phrase 'pony up the pound' means. The mind boggles. It is quite nice for us Brits to wallow in our new found wealth from the strength of the pound against the dollar. Maybe this will mean that we will all be a bit more generous in our tipping habits!

SC

PHRASAL VERB: pony up Slang To pay (money owed or due).

from

http://www.bartleby.com/61/5/P0440500.html

The allusion in this expression is unclear.

from

http://www.answers.com/topic/pony-up

Archived