Just When You Thought That You'd Experienced It All ...

jewopaho

We ended up with a 1A after our TA promised us we would get upgraded, and the travel agency was closed, anyway the cabin steward brought us a roll away and set it up every night for us, it all worked out.

Under no circumstances would a roll-out or sofa bed be acceptable ... and it's definitely not because they only accommodate one person. Perhaps in a pinch for a night ... but to sleep on one of those things for a week is something I don't want to endure. No, thanks ... we'll wait.

Ok, but Carnival is supposed to be 'known' for it's comfortable beds. I have never once slept on a comfortable roll away or fold out.

So I have to know: how was it?

(There's a reason I'm asking. I may find myself in a predicament on what was expected to be a solo cruise where I booked a 1A.)

It wasn't bad at all:)

Ok, but Carnival is supposed to be 'known' for it's comfortable beds. I have never once slept on a comfortable roll away or fold out.

So I have to know: how was it?

(There's a reason I'm asking. I may find myself in a predicament on what was expected to be a solo cruise where I booked a 1A.)

I slept on the couch / bed for a week on the Pride aft balcony it was not bad, I would do it again.

When I first inquired about this cruise a week or so back, there were five 1A staterooms available ... they're still there. So the experiment has failed ... hardly surprising. Carnival is the only mass-market cruise line with these accommodations, and I'm certain that they didn't have us old folks in mind when the ships were designed that way ... so why start now?

In any event, we've found the 1A senior discount on bunk beds to be a terrific conversation starter. All of our friends and family know that we cruise often, so we're always asked what's on the agenda for us. When we bring up this situation, they all break out laughing. One couple didn't believe us, and actually went to the Carnival site ... they called to apologize, between chuckles.

I just got off the phone with my TA. What he said makes sense ... it's a loss leader/bait & switch tactic aimed at us cost-conscious old folks. Naive geezers are attracted by the low $509 senior fare, take a look, decide that it's not for them, and see what else is available. On this sail date (9/2) there are several categories with upgrades (at substantial price increases ... $629 and up) so it's possible to get a 4G (very obstructed oceanview at the forward end of the ship) for a 4A price. I'm certain that many people go for it ... we don't. It's peak hurricane season, and this price is inordinately high, as are the rest of the accommodations ... balconies begin at over $900.

Superficially it's funny ... and from a marketing viewpoint it likely works. But we'll still wait ... there's lots of room and plenty of time.

Al

Something similarly strange happened to us when we finally went to book our cabin for our Dec 8, 2012 cruise on Fantasy. We knew that we wanted a porthole room. So, on a Monday they were still showing up under the ES rate of $454.00 (for interior) with cabins only left on the Riviera deck. Next day...POOF! They were no longer listed on ES.

I called our PVP and he said that he could get me a porthole room but it would be for $489.00pp. I said, "but it shows that interior rooms are only $454.00" and he said that porthole cabins were no longer available for ES but only available for Past Guest rate of $489.00.

I never experienced anything like that before. We could get an interior for $454.00 but not a porthole. It was so confusing. After I thought about it though it made sense. Since they were getting low on portholes, they can raise the cost because they were in higher demand on this sailing.

We ended up with the porthole anyway. :p

Archived