Just When You Thought That You'd Experienced It All ...

jewopaho

... this one needs to go on record.

We're veteran cruisers who love being so close to the Port of Galveston. We were looking to book the Magic (the lure of a brand-new ship in our homeport was too much to resist) and began the online process. We more than qualify for the senior fare, which was quite attractive for the September 2nd sailing. When it came time to select our stateroom, we noticed that the price quoted was for a Cat. 1A ... yep, bunk beds. There were no other options available (not even a guarantee). I'm almost 71 and my wife is 66 with a bad knee (so she'd get the lower). When we imagined the possibilities, we burst out laughing. This had to be some sort of glitch in the system ... but upon calling, the price and accommodations were confirmed. The PVP really tried to remain professional throughout the conversation (I guess he was concerned about someone in authority playing back the recording of the transaction) by informing me that my next option would be ... whatever it was (I really wasn't paying attention). But I could sense his desire to get off the phone quickly, so as not to react similarly. I ended with, " ... just wanted to bring this to Carnival's attention." Had we continued, I'm certain that the guy would have lost it ... and his job.

We generally use an online TA ... but I just had to give Carnival a heads-up on this one. Hopefully, I made some people laugh ... but not out loud!

Al

We're veteran cruisers who love being so close to the Port of Galveston. We were looking to book the Magic (the lure of a brand-new ship in our homeport was too much to resist) and began the online process. We more than qualify for the senior fare, which was quite attractive for the September 2nd sailing. When it came time to select our stateroom, we noticed that the price quoted was for a Cat. 1A ... yep, bunk beds. There were no other options available (not even a guarantee). I'm almost 71 and my wife is 66 with a bad knee (so she'd get the lower). When we imagined the possibilities, we burst out laughing. This had to be some sort of glitch in the system ... but upon calling, the price and accommodations were confirmed. The PVP really tried to remain professional throughout the conversation (I guess he was concerned about someone in authority playing back the recording of the transaction) by informing me that my next option would be ... whatever it was (I really wasn't paying attention). But I could sense his desire to get off the phone quickly, so as not to react similarly. I ended with, " ... just wanted to bring this to Carnival's attention." Had we continued, I'm certain that the guy would have lost it ... and his job.

We generally use an online TA ... but I just had to give Carnival a heads-up on this one. Hopefully, I made some people laugh ... but not out loud!

Al

I had no idea that senior rates were tied to certain category cabins.....

But maybe you should reconsider. I just did a mock booking for that sailing and the only thing that I changed was an interior with a port hole and this is what it came up with.

Choose your room:

Select Your Room 1210 1211

This room includes: Twin bed and single sofa bed. Chair and coffee table. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Two porthole windows.

So, it's not bunk beds but a twin bed and a single sofa bed.......sister and I would take that in a heart beat for $509.

I had no idea that senior rates were tied to certain category cabins.....But maybe you should reconsider. I just did a mock booking for that sailing and the only thing that I changed was an interior with a port hole and this is what it came up with.Choose your room:Select Your Room 1210 1211.This room includes: Twin bed and single sofa bed. Chair and coffee table. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Two porthole windows. So, it's not bunk beds but a twin bed and a single sofa bed.......sister and I would take that in a heart beat for $509.

Thanks for the information. Frankly, I like my version better ... but we did look at those, as well. If anything, it was the photo of the stateroom that got us going. We're husband and wife ... a bit tarnished around the edges, but hardly on our last legs ... not siblings. It took me over 65 years to find this woman (we've been married just over four years) and we're still making up for lost time. We'll just wait it out a few more days until the Pack & Go fares kick in ... the ship isn't nearly booked to capacity. Chances are we'll do a little better, while getting more appropriate accommodations. We'll certainly be going somewhere sometime soon.

Your timing was/is lousy. Had you tried to book this back in February you likely would have had a lot more choices. What you see now are leftovers.

That might change soon though when the 90 days before sailing kicks in and some people back out of the cruise. Then you might have more to choose. That would be before and after June 8th methinks so keep looking in the next week and see what happens.

Good luck - it's worth the wait. Great ship choice.:D

Your timing was/is lousy. Had you tried to book this back in February you likely would have had a lot more choices. What you see now are leftovers.

That might change soon though when the 90 days before sailing kicks in and some people back out of the cruise. Then you might have more to choose. That would be before and after June 8th methinks so keep looking in the next week and see what happens.

Good luck - it's worth the wait. Great ship choice.:D

I know ... timing is everything. That's why we'll be waiting a little bit longer to book ... just decided that we wanted to take another trip. We're already booked for December and next April, so it's not critical that we get away ... but I'm sure something will work for us. We've heard great things about the Magic, and are anxious to experience it.

I know ... timing is everything. That's why we'll be waiting a little bit longer to book ... just decided that we wanted to take another trip. We're already booked for December and next April, so it's not critical that we get away ... but I'm sure something will work for us. We've heard great things about the Magic, and are anxious to experience it.

You won't be disappointed.......I've always been a fan of the Conquest class ships and when I sailed on the Dream I was less than impressed......

But I sailed on the Magic in March and fell in love with that ship......it is so much better than the Dream, and has so much more to offer than any Conquest class ship........

And now seeing the video of the Breeze............WOWZER.........I can't wait until January..........

Al

You could always share a twin bunk to help make up for that lost time!:eek::D;)

We're on the Magic a couple of weeks ahead of you and I've been watching the rates. Apparently the only way to see the full selection of cabins that are still available is to look at the Fun Select rate. Our sailing has a 9C aft wrap that only shows up under that rate.

All of the other discounted rates are capacity controlled, so that's why some rates don't have certain categories of rooms showing. The problem is that people who don't realize this may assume that if they are looking at past guest rates, for example, that they are seeing the full selection of cabins that are still not booked. If you look at the September 2nd sailing under Fun Select you will see a whole range of available cabins -- but they won't be discounted to seniors.

I remember a few years ago when my daughter was in college and it was mothers weekend. Well, I got the top bunk (no ladder you had to climb up the back rails) and I was able to make it up with no problem, however, climbing down was a little tricky and I sat and thought about it for an hour before I finally attempted it because otherwise I would have peed my pants. Never again!

So would you wrestle to see who got the top bunk?:cool:

It wouldn't be a fair fight ... she's got a bum knee, remember?

You could always share a twin bunk to help make up for that lost time!:eek::D;)

This intrigues us ... so it's off to Mattress Firm to see if we both can fit in a twin! I knew I could count on Cruise Critic members for a solution.

We're really excited about sailing on the Magic, irrespective of the obstacles that Carnival throws down. The reviews have been consistently stellar ... not all that common for a CCL ship. Given that it's hurricane season, I'm sure something will open up in a few days, when final payment is due. Right now, there's plenty of room ... just waiting for the Pack & Go fares to kick in.

If you take that room, we demand pictures! ;)

Yeah ... and so does everyone else we know. This thing is becoming viral within our circle.

Hey, where there is a will there is a way :D

There is indeed ... which is why we WILL wait until we can cruise our WAY. Incidentally, there hasn't been any change in the pricing structure. We're just wondering whether anyone has actually booked it ... if so, more power to them.

Al

We ended up with a 1A after our TA promised us we would get upgraded, and the travel agency was closed, anyway the cabin steward brought us a roll away and set it up every night for us, it all worked out and we ended up getting a discount from out TA the next cruise :)

I had no idea that senior rates were tied to certain category cabins.....

But maybe you should reconsider. I just did a mock booking for that sailing and the only thing that I changed was an interior with a port hole and this is what it came up with.

Choose your room:

Select Your Room 1210 1211

This room includes: Twin bed and single sofa bed. Chair and coffee table. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Two porthole windows.

So, it's not bunk beds but a twin bed and a single sofa bed.......sister and I would take that in a heart beat for $509.

Great cabin for the price.

We ended up with a 1A after our TA promised us we would get upgraded, and the travel agency was closed, anyway the cabin steward brought us a roll away and set it up every night for us, it all worked out and we ended up getting a discount from out TA the next cruise :)

Ok, but Carnival is supposed to be 'known' for it's comfortable beds. I have never once slept on a comfortable roll away or fold out.

So I have to know: how was it?

(There's a reason I'm asking. I may find myself in a predicament on what was expected to be a solo cruise where I booked a 1A.)

It wouldn't be a fair fight ... she's got a bum knee, remember?

Fights between married couples aren't supposed to be "fair";). (But seriously I do hope you score the cabin you are hoping for.)

Fights between married couples aren't supposed to be "fair";). (But seriously I do hope you score the cabin you are hoping for.)

We'll be fine ... and I know all about the "fairness doctrine" (or lack thereof) when it comes to domestic squabbles. I just checked availability again, and there's no way that the cruise will even come close to selling out before final payment ... this Thursday, according to my TA. The sail date is at peak hurricane season. as well as being Labor Day weekend ... a perfect storm (pun unintended) for Pack & Go fares. Right now, it pays to wait (the non-senior fare is at the top of the price range for the season)... as noted above, timing isn't the best at the moment. We qualify as seniors, past guests and Texas residents ... something will work out for us, I'm sure.

Archived