How many and what kinds of luggage pieces to you pack?

I'm in the market for new luggage, and I'm trying to decide how many pieces I actually need, and what sizes will best fit my needs.

What do you find works best for a week long cruise?

(We're heading to Bermuda)

My husband and I each used a 29". We both used a backpack as our carry-on. Be careful with the weight. With that size luggage it's easy to topple over the airline's limit. Air Tran's limit was 70. I had a bag that weighed in at 72 on my way home. Since my other was 64, they let the heavier go without a charge.

I usually travel with my best friend and we each have one regular suitcase (26" or 29" size). In addition to the regular suitcase, I also have a folding garment bag on wheels from Samsonite that we use to pack formals, clothes on hangers, etc. When I'm not on a cruise, I use the garment bag as my only suitcase because it has pockets for shoes, etc.

One of us also brings a small carry-on on wheels in which we pack a swimsuit and change of clothes (doesn't get checked). When we get to the ship the carry on stays with us (so we can go straight to the pool) and everything else we have brought to our stateroom.

Also, when packing we always distribute everybody's clothes among the suitcases;that way if a suitcase gets lost, no person is totally without clothes.

depends whether or not i'm bringing my full dive kit - if yes, i can usually jam shoes and other casual items into it... then i only bring my 26" for my good clothes. if the reverse, i pull my 29" out of mothballs.

oh, and i always have a small carry-on that mainly has my cameras, notebook computer (if i bring it along), medications, and anything else of a valuable nature.

I'm in the market for new luggage, and I'm trying to decide how many pieces I actually need, and what sizes will best fit my needs.

Check with the airline. 7 day is not bad, get the largest legal 'carry on' that you can, and put all of you heavy stuff in it, along with any medical needs. Also get a 'fanny pack'. Remember a good case tends to weigh more. :) john

The wife and I have found that a rolling 26" and a rolling garment bag each is best if you are flying. Most of the airlines have gone to 50 pound per bag limit and the bigger the bag the easier it is to be overweight. We also have a carry-on each that is airline legal. But don't buy any luggage that doesn't have wheels. Spike

23_4_162.gifUgly, the uglier (is that a word?) the better. There are 10,000 red and black rolling bags out there. Ours look like old ugly carpet from the 40's. AND we have big UGLY tags on them. Oh so much easier to find.

..................size, depends on where we are going and how many shoes we take! Either two 26's and a garment bag, two backpacks or a 29'' and a 26.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to bump this up. I'm starting to pack for my cruise that leaves in 2 weeks, and I still can't decide which sizes to bring from my new luggage for my boyfriend and I for our 7 day cruise to Bermuda. I was leaning towards bringing the 28" and the 21" and then bring our 16" rolling carry on with us, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough...

I always over-pack, but then I like clothing choices. We each take a 26 or 28, then a garment bag (for DH suits and sport coat and my evening wear), then a smaller case and we usually divide our stuff between the larger cases and this 24. This gives us room to bring back stuff. We each take a carrryon with at least one extra set of clothes. (My husband has had his luggage delayed several times but thankfully only on the way home!) Hope this helps. We always weigh our luggage before we leave home. We have had to re-adjust a couple times. Sometimes I have trouble getting the larger cases to weigh in under 50 lbs.

My husband and I own one large piece, one carry on (not wheeled, the over the shoulder kind) and a garment bag between us. Each of the boys has a rollaboard and a rolling backpack, we check one. That way they can carry their own luggage (the rule here is if you can't carry it don't bring it).

We usually use one 26'' and I carry an 18'' roller and the man-unit carries his garmet bag. That's for two people. Most of our clothes will often fit in the garmet bag/small roller board, but it's the shoes that take up the most space. Hence, the large 26''. Also, one of us uses a backpack for carry on items. That way if we need it on one of the excursions, or for souvenirs we've got it. :)

I would suggest taking a domino approach to your luggage-luggage that once unpacked can store w/in the largest piece. Then, slide under the bed-out of the way until the end of your trip!

My DH & I both wanted to take dive/snorkel equipment on our trip so we ended up both taking the following:

1. 29" larger suitcase - leaving extra room for trip back

2. 1 large duffel - checked

3. 1 smaller suitcase - took this as carry on w/meds, camera, etc. Didn't pack it full so that on return trip I could stuff it w/all our 'goods' that we bought while on the trip. Since I really didn't want to keep up w/a purse on the trip, I ended up taking a smaller backpack as my 2nd 'personal' item on the plane. I put all cruise documents, etc. plus my other normal purse items (wallet, cell phone, chapstick, etc.) in the backpack. Used the backpack on most all excursions to carry items we would need throughout the day. Worked well for us.

I also take too much stuff but I usually end up wearing it all ;)

I bought a 3 piece roller set from Kohls that I absolutely love ! 2 yrs ago.

They all nest inside of each other and were only $49.99 for all 3 !!

One larger piece for all my clothes (I fold them neatly so no wrinkles)

Next one down holds all my shoes, toiletry bag, belts etc.

And last one in set was large carryon purse type that I usually carry meds, cameras, film, jewelry, wallet, sunglasses, binoculars (don't forget those!) and travel documents, good book etc. Its fairly large.

My favorite part is the whole set is tan with large palm trees embroidered all over them. Very tastefully tropical :D

I NEVER EVER HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING MY LUGGAGE IN CUSTOMS OR AT THE BAGGAGE RETRIEVAL AREA. They stick out like in a sea of black.

Of course that is just for my stuff - hubby has his own (black of course)

We use 2 - 28" rolling, drop bottom duffles or one duffle and a rolling garment bag plus rolling carry-on abd a tote bag. We used to use a larger duffe, but found that it was too easy to go over the weight limit.

I would definitely discourage buying the very large pieces of luggage. If you have any more than a medium size piece, it is just too easy to go over the 50lb. limit and the Airlines are very much enforcing this weight limit - even the international flight weight limit on many airlines is now 50 lbs. When you are packed at home it's great, but when you return it is very difficult to be sure whether or not you're going over. Also some of this luggage weighs a lot before you ever put a piece of clothing in it so 'buyer beware'.

I would recommend something of very lightweight material - possibly a nylon that will take some wear and even collapse, so you can take a smaller bag collapsed inside of your luggage for possible need on your return trip home.

We are flying American Airlines and it looks like you can have up to 70 pounds for flights into Puerto Rico - what does anybody else now about this?

I dont see 70 pounds- where did you get that information?

Here is direct from their web page-

. Free Baggage Allowance

Q: What are the baggage limits for domestic travel?A: For flights wholly within the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and between the United States/U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada, the maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

• 2 pieces checked and one carry-on

Please note that one carry-on personal item does not count toward the free bag allowance. You may bring up to one bag onboard the aircraft with you, provided it meets Federal Aviation Administration regulations. The FAA mandates that all carry-on items must fit under a seat or in an enclosed storage compartment. Our gate or flight personnel may need to further limit the amount of carry-on baggage for a particular flight depending on the cabin storage capacity of the aircraft type and the expected number of passengers.

For more information go to 'Customer Service,' scroll down to 'Baggage,' then click on 'Baggage Allowance.'

Q: What are the baggage limits for international travel?A: The carry-on baggage limitations are the same for international and domestic travel.

Q: How much will I be charged for extra / oversized bags when I travel domestically on American Airlines?A: Excess bags up to 62 in./157 cm and/or up to 50 lbs./23kg

• 4th, 5th, 6th additional bags are $80.00 each
  • 7th, 8th, 9th additional bags are $105.00 each
  • 10th and all additional bags are $180.00 each
  • Bag weights over 50 lbs. up to 70 lbs. are $25 each
  • Bag weights over 70 lbs. up to 100 lbs. are $50 each
  • Bags measuring between 63-115 in./160-292 cm. Are $80.00 each

If your baggage is oversize and excess between 63-115 in./160-292cm the applicable excess fee above plus additional $80.00 each will be charged per bag.

If your baggage is overweight and excess the applicable excess fee above plus the applicable overweight charge above will be charged per bag.

If your baggage is overweight and oversize, the applicable overweight fee plus $80.00 per bag will be charged.

If any of your items weighs more than 100 lbs./45 kg or measures more than 62 in./157 cm, please call our Air Cargo Department at 1-800-227-4622 or 1-800-344-4320 for Spanish speakers.

Notes

• During embargo periods you will need to contact an independent freight forwarder as AA will not accept excess / extra bags.
  • All charges are based on one way travel. All American Airlines and Other Airline charges are paid at the Airport Ticket Counter upon Departure.
  • All size measurements are linear (length+width+height)

Go to the 'Customer Service' section, and scroll down to 'Baggage.' Click on 'Baggage Allowance' for more information.

DH and I do some international travel and our kids both in their 20's do a lot of international flights. Most airlines have dropped to the 50 lb. limit, but some have stayed at 70 - would definitely check with your particular airline before packing more than 50 lbs. Those fees can be hefty!! And you don't want that kind of unpleasant surprise to start your trip.

The limit is disappointing though - we're due to fly to Japan in December to visit our son, and had hoped to take Xmas gifts with us. They'll have to be small and light ones I guess!!

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding luggage when doing a Land Tour pre-cruise ? We are booked for a Rockies Tour in May 06 followed by Alaska cruise on Dawn Princess. On flights from England we know that we would be allowed two cases per person with each one being no more than 32kgs. However somewhere I seem to remember seeing that on a Land Tour only one case per person is allowed on the coach.

If it is only one case each then we really will have to pack carefully for both sections of this trip.

Any information would be much appreciated. ;)

Suron in Bristol, England

Archived