PRE Cruise flights...Help!

RTgirl

Take a taxi to the port from the airport ($25ish) and make sure you put your Carnival luggage tags on after you retrieve your luggage from the airport carousel.

Have your documents in hand to show for port entry in the taxi; sometimes they ask to see them.

Most people recommend getting in the day before to avoid any travel blunders. There are many hotels that offer free shuttle from the airport and to the port the next day.

We have always flown in the day of and taken shuttle transportation through the cruise line (for carnival, fll>pom) and for our RCI cruise, we were 5 minutes from the port so we just got a cab.

For this next cruise, we arrive in FLL at 9:15 am and are renting a car from FLL and driving to MIA, stopping for wine, water and a few extras, then dropping the car off at MIA and catching the shuttle back to the port.

Are you not going a day ahead of time? If not, then I would for sure take the earliest flight out of DFW.

A cab runs about $24 plus $1 a person from the airport.

It was a very long walk to walk to a taxi from the terminal I landed from American, very long and I had to walk to another terminal. So plan on needing extra time.

I would fly in the day before of course.

Also, consider Love Field to Ft. Lauderdale and SW as the shuttle is no more expensive to get to the port, SAS is one shuttle if you fly into Ft. Lauderdale.

We have never flown to our cruise port. Any suggestions, tips or useful information will be much appreciated! Leaving from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Miami. Thanks in advance!!!

You might check American Airlines, since DFW is a hub for them there are several direct flights to MIA. I have found you can save some money flying into PIB or FLL and rend a car (if you are staying the night before) With Avis you can drop off at the port and they will shuttle you to the ship.

Kayak.com is a good resource for finding low fare, and all else fails if you don't mind not knowing the times you fly until after you pay priceline has given me some great flights cheap in the past.

We have never flown to our cruise port. Any suggestions, tips or useful information will be much appreciated! Leaving from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Miami. Thanks in advance!!!

Don't forget to have the cab driver stop at the liquor store on your way to the port to get your 2 bottles of wine....:eek:

DFW to Miami? I think AA is still king on that route. Look at them and search for their on time stats for the flight you are looking at.

Frankly, I've never flown in the day before and never missed the ship. Of course you need to consider the time of year. Example: January from New York to Miami, a snow storm could mess things up for a couple of days. You might not even get in the day before.

Yes, aircraft mechanical issues could come in to play, but these are rare.

Just get the earliest flight out to MIA on the day of ship's departure.

I don't like to spend money on hotels I don't need, unless I want to see the city that I am departing from at length, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

If you don't need to tour MIA, just take the earliest flight that day from DFW, and you'll be fine. DFW to MIA is what we call a "milk run".

This comes from a 37-year aircraft pilot.

Archived