My trip report: Serenade 12-night Western Med (Venice) with many pictures

I normally have my phone set to not pull data unless I tell it to (ie, I ave email on manual instead of push). As a precaution, I did leave my phone in airline mode when I wasn't using it for cellular data. With that being said, I left it on a couple of times throughout the day by accident, but since I don't have it set to fetch data, it was not a problem. Buying the plan takes a little worry out of it, but I would still recommend a bit of caution including turning off cellular access when not in use and keeping up with your usage statistics.

Thanks for the review! I thoroughly enjoyed it! With regards to the phone thing...is there a way to set it too so you won't be receiving text messages or phone calls/voicemails? Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I thoroughly enjoyed it! With regards to the phone thing...is there a way to set it too so you won't be receiving text messages or phone calls/voicemails? Thanks!

If you leave it in airplane mode, it can't do any of that, though obviously you can't then make calls out either. I tend to like airplane mode when I'm not using cellular simply because (at least with an iPhone) you can still hook up to wifi with the rest disabled.

I thought of one other thing that I didn't mention ... in terms of international travel, especially when staying anywhere for more than one night abroad, I've found a universal adapter I bought online (either amazon or ebay ... I can't remember) has been a great help. I don't mess with transformers for the difference in voltage, but I've found that almost all of my modern electronics are "international" models in that they can take either 110 or 220 volts (it should say on the cord the voltage it can cary). This means that I can charge my (iPad, iPhone, computer) simply by plugging it into my adapter and then plugging the adapter into the wall. I like my adapter since it can be adjusted to just about any plug. I originally bought it for Australia, but it worked great in Europe as well.

7404968548_936fc6d98a.jpg

Power adapter front by cmong, on Flickr

7404966492_3295a5525b.jpg

Power adapter back by cmong, on Flickr

Also ... my "big" souvenir from Cannes was a copy of the official poster. OK ... it wasn't a big souvenir on its own, but I lugged it home and took it to be professionally matted and framed. In the end, I think it looks pretty neat.

I read that there's a liquor store at the port. Did it seem like you could bring alcohol onboard?

Yes, there was a store after check-in but before boarding. They had a another scanner on the open deck of the Serenade after you boarded and, at least when I boarded, they were making everyone run their bags through it to confiscate purchases from the shop. I heard some made it on with their purchases, but it is not guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving your reports! We're going in October. Sorry if this was asked or mentioned, but how was the tendering process in cannes? We're looking at an 8 hour tour up that seems to be cutting it close as we're only there 8 1/2 hours from docking to last tender.

Thanks!

They used tickets for getting off the ship. You needed to report to a certain lounge on the morning of arrival to get a tender ticket unless you were D+ or had a gold (suite) card. Coming back it was first come, first served. I think an 8-hour tour would be cutting it too close unless you are doing a ship's tour ... we had all sorts of traffic problems on my visit (film festival and setting up race in Monte Carlo) and almost every excursion was late. It will probably be better in October, but if anything caused traffic congestion, you'll be in trouble.

Edited by silentbob007

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi we are pn Serenade this october doing the same itinery.

Just wanted to ask if you used or saw the motor boat from the ship that did the trip to Murano and Burano. I was wondering if it was difficult to get in and out of.

Sandra

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry did not see the ship's tours. However, I would assume that the boat used would be similar to the shuttles and busses ... Think ferry more than small boat.

Thanks.....it says that the boat lies low in the water and you have to be able to get in and out unaided....surely it cant be that bad otherwise no one over 45 would be able to jump in and out...lol

Thanks again

Sandra x

I have friends doing a 12-night Med cruise on Serenade

"out of Spain"... in a week's time (1st. or 2nd.? of May!)

I'm thinking it's a lot like this..

Ship: Serenade of the Seas

Embarkation date: 05/17/2012

Length: 12 nights

Ports: Barcelona (Sp), Cannes (Fr), Livorno (It), Civitivecchia (It), Salerno (It), Venice (It), Ravenna (It), Split (Cr)

Does anyone know if Serenade is doing a repeat performance this year?

• 3 months later...
I have friends doing a 12-night Med cruise on Serenade

"out of Spain"... in a week's time (1st. or 2nd.? of May!)

I'm thinking it's a lot like this..

Ship: Serenade of the Seas

Embarkation date: 05/17/2012

Length: 12 nights

Ports: Barcelona (Sp), Cannes (Fr), Livorno (It), Civitivecchia (It), Salerno (It), Venice (It), Ravenna (It), Split (Cr)

Does anyone know if Serenade is doing a repeat performance this year?

November 15th, 2013

http://*******.com/lradbg6

hi we are pn Serenade this october doing the same itinery.

Just wanted to ask if you used or saw the motor boat from the ship that did the trip to Murano and Burano. I was wondering if it was difficult to get in and out of.

Sandra

We just got off the Serenade (Venice itinerary) this morning. Assuming the boats that go to Murano and Burano are the same that are used for the panoramic tours around Venice, they weren't difficult to handle. There is a little ramp onto the boat, and always - and this is important - 1 or 2 attractive Italian deckhands ready to help you, if required. :)

Edited by windjamming

Hi Denis and I are going on this cruise Sept 28th and wonder if you have any tips comments to share. We are wondering about excursions and any tips about Venice. What to watch out for. We arrive in Barcelona by air the day before the cruise. Have hotel lined up but no transport from airport yet. Thanks..... JAnet