Medication for Sea Sickness

jan can

Do they charge for sea sickness meds or should I buy ahead of time? I noticed there will be some very strong winds this week. I've experienced rough seas before with no problem but do want to be able to take something if needed.

I'm just thinking OTC meds. I don't want anything from the doctor.

Perhaps some background information will help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the strong winds, if you are referring to the most recent tropical storm (you didn't say when and where you were sailing from), ships will avoid the worst of the weather, and the seas will die down a day or so after the storm has passed. That being said, there can be heavy seas anytime, and you might or might not be aware of the storm that caused them.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, or right after, but you do not need much time for it to get into your system.

Some people swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. They apply accupresure to a pressure point on the wrist. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills. Most ships will give you the generic pills, though having never used them, I don't know if they charge for them.

You did say you didn't want anything from the doctor, but I am sure it will be mentioned by others. For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea. Some people use this as their first alternative, but it really should be the last alternative.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions may well be enough by themselves.

I agree with the above. The only advice I'd add is that if you are going to take Bonine tablets, take the first one the night before getting on the ship, and one each night thereafter. That minimizes any sedating side effecrts, and helps to prevent the motion sickness from starting-- which is generally better than trying to get rid of it once it has begun. Otherwise, if you're going to take them, bedtime is a good time to do so. Ginger tablets are generally good for breakthrough symptoms. The scopalamine patch can have the aforementioned side effect, but that is quite rare. You do want to be careful of the combined sedating effects of alcohol, and the possible combined anticholinergic effects if you are taking any allergy medications.

The sick bay usually has Bonine and Ginger, but I would suggest packing some of your own-- it is easier, and then you certainly have them if and when you need them.

Bbwex has pretty much covered it. OTC meds are inexpensive so get some anyway and the reassurance of having them will practically guarantee you won't need them, especially if you've never had a problem before :D

Try not to think or worry about it. I've seen people talk themselves into seasickness but if you do become unwell the meds are very effective so don't hesitate to take them.

I also agree with the Tart Green Apples. My DH & I were on a cruise from Boston to the Caribbean & we ran into rough seas off the NJ coast. They placed bowls of Green Apples everywhere.

They may have pills available at the purser's desk - never asked myself, but read on the website somewhere.

I know on rough sea days they put out bags in public areas.

I would not count on the ship having medications. What if they don't have them? Doctor's visit? Additional spending?

If you get motion sickness or car sickness, you will have sea sickness. I have such severe seasickness I always wear a Scopolomine patch. It is a lifesaver...I could not cruise without it. You must get a prescription. One patch goes behind your ear, change every three days. Side effects are not too bad..dry mouth. Just drink lots of water :)

When the sea is very active, lots of people tend to get seasick to some degree. One time the waters were so rough the staff placed white bags in all elevators, in all rooms and closed the main dining rooms. The infirmary on the ship does not have meds for this situation. I had to call on my first cruise (didn't know I would get seasick). They said they did not treat seasickness, that I would need to wait until the next port. Thank goodness it was the next morning. I will never cruise without my patches.

Thanks for all the details. I'm likely worrying over nothing. I'll be heading to Bermuda from NYC and saw some very strong winds.

Just to make myself feel secure I will pick up something.

I am prone to seasickness and I always take Bonine (Meclizine) 2-3x a day plus I have the ginger candy to chew on.

On my first cruise to the Caribbean I had a centrally located OC cabin and I felt nautious after the first night so I took it for the rest of the trip.

The seabands did not work for me .. used them on crossing the English channel.

Everyone has posted all good recommendations.. go prepared.

My DD has a daily problem with nausea and we have found papaya enzyme and ginger root both work well for her. they can be found at any Wal-mart or parmacy in the vitamin section for around 6 to 8 bucks

I hadn't heard of papaya enzyme before, though I have used ginger root for several years. Do you buy the two separately, or are they available in one capsule? thanks!

Both Walmart and Target carry generic Bonine. It's carried behind the pharmacy counter. The Target pharmacist told me it worked as well as any prescription. The bottle cost less than $3.00. To be on the safe side, I do take one the night before a cruise and our flight. Also the first night at sea.

After that, it depends on the weather. I've never actually gotten seasick but was very close on our Alaskan cruise. Panama Canal can also be a bumpy ride.

Archived