Advice Please on cancelling cruise/refunds

Ykgorbie

We're sailing with another couple on Oct.6th/12 who just last week found out that their 78 year old mother/mother in law has pancreatic cancer. (my friend is pretty busy with her mom right now, so I said I would try to find out what their options were at this point for cancelling) Ok. They are booked Early Saver and the deposit they have on the cruise is $500 worth of Funship Dollars. The deadline for paying off the cruise would be July 23rd. To cancel? Not to cancel? Worst case scenario? Best case scenario?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

We're sailing with another couple on Oct.6th/12 who just last week found out that their 78 year old mother/mother in law has pancreatic cancer. (my friend is pretty busy with her mom right now, so I said I would try to find out what their options were at this point for cancelling) Ok. They are booked Early Saver and the deposit they have on the cruise is $500 worth of Funship Dollars. The deadline for paying off the cruise would be July 23rd. To cancel? Not to cancel? Worst case scenario? Best case scenario?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

Sorry to hear about your friends mother.:(

I don't know how it works with funship dollars but best case scenario is to cancel before the final payment date and only lost $50pp. The balance of the money would be held by CCL for 24 months for use on another cruise.

After they are into final payment stage regular cancellation penalties apply.

Bill

Funship dollars are NOT refundable. They would lose that $$.:mad:

Please read fine print regarding the use of funship dollars. If they wait until after final payment they will follow the normal cancellation policy and will lose more $$:(

SPECIAL CRUISE VACATION PROTECTION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT

CRUISE VACATION PROTECTION "ANY REASON" CRUISE CREDITS...... Up to 75% of the non-refundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost

Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Carnival Cruise Lines

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Cruise Vacation Protection, Carnival Cruise Lines will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Carnival Cruise Lines, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Carnival Cruise Lines as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Carnival Cruise Lines prior to the ship’s departure.

What a bind to be in.

Nonrefundable fun dollars and nonrefundable deposit. .. and after final payment penalties immediately go up to 50% of the cruise price.

I am so sorry they have to be in this position.

Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. Has her doctor given her any sort of time frame? I just finished a second round of chemo, and had booked the cruise in the middle of round one. Depending on the outlook, a cruise may be the perfect thing to take their mind off everything going on. And of course, there will be some totally awesome people on your cruise! lol Come and join the roll call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1423412

I wish your friend's mom all the best, tell her to keep a positive attitude, it really helps! Hope to see you on board in 125 days!!!

Do they have any type of cruise insurance?

With Early Saver, they can cancel before final payment for a penalty of $50 pp. But they would not be refunded their deposit. It would be held by Carnival to be used on a cruise within the next 2 years. If they book the next cruise at the same time as cancelling, I believe they can transfer the $200 remaining deposit to the new deposit (plus another $50). If they don't book the next cruise until later, they will have to come up with a whole new deposit and then the $200 credit will be added to the cruise amount.

I have never had to cancel (almost last year!!), but this is my understanding from reading these boards for a long time.

I cannot say how the Funship dollars will affect what I said above.

Maggie

Archived