Dollars in norway

torty

We're off on a Fjords cruise this month and wonder if anyone can tell us if US Dollars are accepted at the various ports of call in Norway or must we have Kroner.

A few places may accept dollar, but you will need kroner in the majority of places. Of course, credit cards are widely accepted; don't know much about debit cards. The exchange rate on the ship will not work in your favor, so don't plan on getting kroner there.

Enjoy the cruise. Prepare for cooler temperatures, and expect to (still) see a bit of snow in various places.

We found that most shops would accept a credit card (we had one with no foreign transaction fees from our bank) that we used for more expensive souvenirs. Other shops that cater to tourists accepted Euro's that we also picked up from our bank before we left on our cruise.

I took a Fjord cruise about 3 years ago. Exchanged about $25 into Kroners onboard and didn't even use all of those Kroners. In ports, almost everything I purchased was paid for by credit card (Visa and Mastercard are most widely accepted). I used the Kroners for a bottle of water or a soda while in port. Everything was so expensive in Norway that I actually purchased very little. If I remember correctly, I bought a small troll statue for someone at home and that was about it.

If I remember correctly, a small soda and small fry at McDonalds was about $6. I like to use their free WiFi when in port and feel I should purchase something.

I took a Fjord cruise about 3 years ago. Exchanged about $25 into Kroners onboard and didn't even use all of those Kroners. In ports, almost everything I purchased was paid for by credit card (Visa and Mastercard are most widely accepted). I used the Kroners for a bottle of water or a soda while in port. Everything was so expensive in Norway that I actually purchased very little. If I remember correctly, I bought a small troll statue for someone at home and that was about it.

If I remember correctly, a small soda and small fry at McDonalds was about $6. I like to use their free WiFi when in port and feel I should purchase something.

I like to use their restrooms, but never feel obligated to make a purchase. ;)

I've worked in Norway on several occaissions, credit cards are accepted just about everywhere and for the smallest amounts. The main problem is racking up foreign currency transaction charges on the card which can make an already expensive purchase even more expensive. One good thing about the high prices is that, usually, the items bought are of good quality (apart from the Ringers Beer:mad:)

The touristy souvenir shops may take Euros and/or Dollars, at a rate that is good for them, in the bigger towns, but it might not be so easy in smaller places. The shop-owner's themselves might have difficulty exchanging foreign currency. I'm not certain, as a habit I always carry some local currency on me which is why I have Euros,Tunisian Dinar, Malaysian Ringgit, Australian Dollars, Croatian Kuna, Brazilian Reals, Namibian Rand and Chinese Yuan in my passport wallet at the moment, unfortunately no Pounds Stirling and only a couple of small Norwegian coins.

Dave

I took a cruise with 8 Norway ports, and I just went to an ATM and got the Kroner. You are NOT going to find a lot of acceptance of US dollars. Credit Cards, could be used.

I always go with local currency.

The main problem is racking up foreign currency transaction charges on the card which can make an already expensive purchase even more expensive.

Capital One has a no-fee card which does not charge a currency exchange fee (most are 3%). C1 did not give me a very high credit limit but I was able to manage it OK with some judicious prepurchases of tickets or excursion.

I like to use their restrooms, but never feel obligated to make a purchase. ;)

Pia,

If visiting Bergen, try giving the McDonalds in the town a miss, have to ask for key to go upstairs to the filthiest toilets we have ever seen in a food establishment:eek::eek:

Certainly put us off buying anything there?

Pia,

If visiting Bergen, try giving the McDonalds in the town a miss, have to ask for key to go upstairs to the filthiest toilets we have ever seen in a food establishment:eek::eek:

Certainly put us off buying anything there?

Thanks for the heads up. YUK! The only thing we ever buy at any McDonald's is coffee.

Having just returned from a visit to Oslo on the recent Emerald TA, we found that, unlike a couple of years ago when we visited, the small ferries that take you to the Fram and Kon Tiki museums no longer take credit cards and only accept kroner. Also, the machines to purchase the tickets with a credit card at the port were not user friendly and even locals were stumped. The ferry crewmember was kind enough to let us pay on our return trip after we were able to purchase kroner at one of the museum gift shops. So yes, a few kroner may come in handy.

The Norway Kroner called the NOK exchange rate is currently about 7.57 NOK to $1 U.S. dollar. The NOK has been pretty stable over the last four months unlike the Euro which has dropped substantially in value to the dollar. The 7.57 is the rate without exchange fees and changes daily.

If you need NOKs the cheapest place to get them is the ATM. I found that keeping my buying NOKs to a minimum and using my No Foreign Fee Capital One credit card was the safest way to go.

If you have NOKs left after you leave Norway you will get burned at a currency exchange to get rid of them.

I thought Norway was the most expensive place in Europe that I have visited. A lousy lunch was almost $80.

Archived