Dress code in churches in Europe

Knees/Shoulders covered for women. Men do not necessarily need long pants. The 'manpris' will work or longer cargo shorts.

If you're going soon, just keep a light scarf in your bag. It will/can get very warm. This way you can go in & out with no problems and still stay cool :) Have a great time.

Long pants for men and shoulders covered for women. Can't remember about the rules on women's legs.

Also women have to cover there legs to below the knees (not shorts) . A hat is also recommend for

Catholic Churches.

I just returned from a land based trip to Europe and visited many cathedrals in France and Belgium (as well as in London last summer) and I saw every manner of dress represented. Some people were dressed up, some were wearing shorts (men & women) and most were just somewhere in between. These were primarily Catholic churches, but if you are visiting the Vatican it may be all together different.

I have yet to be in Europe when it was hot enough for shorts, but I have only been in May and June.

Hope this helps :)

Michelle

General rule is no exposed shoulders or knees. Some churches actually hand out paper ponchos that those with exposed shoulders can put over themselves. I found that they tended to be more strict regarding the shoulders than they were the knees. However, if you want to be completely safe, wear capris and shirts with short sleeves to ensure you are not turned away at the door.

General rule is no exposed shoulders or knees. Some churches actually hand out paper ponchos that those with exposed shoulders can put over themselves. I found that they tended to be more strict regarding the shoulders than they were the knees. However, if you want to be completely safe, wear capris and shirts with short sleeves to ensure you are not turned away at the door.

Scott is correct, Shoulders and knees must be covered at all time.

There are people that don't cover up but I choose not to be one and cover up my knees.

Bruno

Does anyone know if you have to wear long pants to visit churhes in europe and to visit the vatican' date='s museums and chapels[/quote']

IT depends on the country. In Italy yes, in Greece, no, Turkey they are not required either.

Scott is correct, Shoulders and knees must be covered at all time.

There are people that don't cover up but I choose not to be one and cover up my knees.

Bruno

This is only partially correct. The requirements vary by country. In Italy this would be accurate, but not in Greece.

Archived