Stingray City Question

pinkmaija

Is Stingray City in Grand Cayman an enclosed pool or is it open? Basically, are the rays free to swim off? Thanks....

At stingray city you are in the ocean...two miles or so offshore, just inside the reef. Water is waist deep and nice and warm over a white sandy bottom.

The rays are great. They know that you will feed them (this is optional if you don't want to do it) and they will stay in your area as long as you are there. My wife says they are like cats, rubbing against you, hoping to be fed.

There will likely be several boatloads of people there to enjoy the experience.

Last time we were there, the crew on the boat did a little diving of their own...brought onboard some large conchs.

If you were trying to compare stingray city to a dolphin swim experience...there is no comparison. Stingray city is a totally open, in-the-wild experience.

did this years ago with my daughter,she was 10 then. awesome experience. i went with a private tour, captain jack i think. you are out in the ocean in shallow water. the rays are very friendly. try to find a private tour, alot cheaper and better tour.

From what I understand Stingray City didn't start as a tourist attraction. That area is where the fishing boats would stop on their way back in after catching fish all day. It was protected and easy to anchor I guess. They would clean their fish and toss the bits and pieces they didn't want overboard. The Stingrays learned to come for the free meal every day and then someone decided to jump in the water. Yes, feeding them has undoubtedly altered them in some way and perhaps changed their normal patterns but it was a natural symbiotic thing between them and the fisherman, not something created for the purposes of exploiting the wild.

From what I understand Stingray City didn't start as a tourist attraction. That area is where the fishing boats would stop on their way back in after catching fish all day. It was protected and easy to anchor I guess. They would clean their fish and toss the bits and pieces they didn't want overboard. The Stingrays learned to come for the free meal every day and then someone decided to jump in the water. Yes, feeding them has undoubtedly altered them in some way and perhaps changed their normal patterns but it was a natural symbiotic thing between them and the fisherman, not something created for the purposes of exploiting the wild.

Love that, thanks! We did something similar off Belize (Caye Caulker - there were sharks too!)...our boat was the only one, though, so not sure how much I'd enjoy elbowing others for a chance! We didn't get to feed them, though.

• 2 weeks later...

There are actually two separate Sting Ray City interaction sites.

The original, commonly known as Sting Ray City or Sting Ray City Dive site, which is located in 12 -15 feet of water. It is geared towards divers and also snorkelers.

The "newer" site is the Sting Ray City Sand Bar site. With a water depth from 2-4 feet, it is geared toward waders and snorkelers. This is the location most cruise excursions will visit.

Both are located in the open water of the reef protected North Sound where the rays are free to come and go.

We have an online tour of Stingray City, which provides lots of information: http://www.mobydicktours.com/

I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND MOBY DICK for your Stingray City tours. We were on our first cruise this past March and booked with Moby Dick. The staff is so friendly and informative. They have a very informative and accurate website. One of our guys also did some unexpected diving off the boat and came back with two large beautiful starfish for everyone to pass around - very mindful of getting them back in the water during a safe period of time. Loved it !!!

I like one poster's comparison of stingrays being like "a cat wanting to be fed" !! The stingrays are so gentle and non-intimidating once you are in the water with them. We will definitely do this excursion again next cruise. :)

We used Capt. Marvin a couple of years ago and were very pleased with our tour....he has been doing these tours for over 60 years now.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/index.html

I'll 2nd putter's comments about capt Marvin ***** & the rays are as you say "wide open"! One of the most incredible experiences I've even had with wild life.

Is Stingray City in Grand Cayman an enclosed pool or is it open? Basically, are the rays free to swim off? Thanks....

It is open and there are so many sting rays around that you do not need to worry about them swimming off. It is a very shallow reef so you do not have to worry about the depth either. You can actually hold the Rays if you want to. Really great activity to do.

Archived