Past Guest Upgrades - do they really happen?

spazilla1

We are looking to book our 2nd cruise with Carnival - not sure exactly when we want to go but due to work it will be between november - February. I am looking for information reference the Past Guest upgrade. I see that as a past guest there is a slightly higher rate than if we "early save" but that it keeps mentioning upgrades included. Has anybody out there ever booked as a Past guest and actually had an upgrade as a result? Appreciate any info you can give. PS since we live here year round we are open to leaving from PC, Tampa or Ft laud.

We are looking to book our 2nd cruise with Carnival - not sure exactly when we want to go but due to work it will be between november - February. I am looking for information reference the Past Guest upgrade. I see that as a past guest there is a slightly higher rate than if we "early save" but that it keeps mentioning upgrades included. Has anybody out there ever booked as a Past guest and actually had an upgrade as a result? Appreciate any info you can give. PS since we live here year round we are open to leaving from PC, Tampa or Ft laud.

The Past Guest rate is essentially the old Guarantee rate where you book a certain cabin category but don't select a cabin and when the cabin is finally assigned you can be assigned a cabin on a higher deck (upgrade) than what you booked.

I sometimes booked that rate and have for instance booked a 4B interior rate which is on the Riviera deck but got assigned a 4E interior on the Upper deck.

To me it's not worth the chance that I might get a 4G interior on the Verandah deck right under the Lido pool area. Those rooms are very noisy in the morning when the deck chairs are being drug across the deck. I just like knowing where my cabin is going to be from the beginning.

We always now book early saver, because the chances that we would have to cancel or have any changes to our booking are almost zero.

Past guest rate usually includes a free (not really) upgrade within the same category type of cabin.. yes it is included in the price, but you pay a higher price to start with.

Nothing is really free on Carnival and most of the sales are not really sales if you know the prices.

Past Guest rate has fewer rules like nonrefundable deposit than ES. ES is usually the chapest rate.

Past Guest rates will sometimes give you upgrades when you actually book. For example, you could go from a lower deck forward or aft cabin to a mid-ship location on a higher deck within the same cabin catagory. The Past Guest rate also does not come with some of the same restrictions that booking the ES does. Yes ES will give you a lower rate, but if you have to cancel or change a person in your cabin, there is a penalty. Just take a look at the threads on this site every single day; they are loaded with people saying, I booked ES and such and such happend -OR- now, so and so can't go...... Life happens..... so it pays to read the fine print and fully understand the rate in which you are booking.

BTW, with Past Guest you can pick your own cabin location. It is the Guarantee or Pack and Go rates the Carnival will select the location for you.

:)

The Past Guest rate is essentially the old Guarantee rate where you book a certain cabin category but don't select a cabin and when the cabin is finally assigned you can be assigned a cabin on a higher deck (upgrade) than what you booked.

I sometimes booked that rate and have for instance booked a 4B interior rate which is on the Riviera deck but got assigned a 4E interior on the Upper deck.

To me it's not worth the chance that I might get a 4G interior on the Verandah deck right under the Lido pool area. Those rooms are very noisy in the morning when the deck chairs are being drug across the deck. I just like knowing where my cabin is going to be from the beginning.

We always now book early saver, because the chances that we would have to cancel or have any changes to our booking are almost zero.

Janey, I know that with CC group cruises, that is often the case, but usually with past guest rate, they are not guarantees, the ones you book direct that are not group rates. You would know what you were upgrading to right away.

Past guest rate usually includes a free (not really) upgrade within the same category type of cabin.. yes it is included in the price, but you pay a higher price to start with.

Nothing is really free on Carnival and most of the sales are not really sales if you know the prices.

Past Guest rate has fewer rules like nonrefundable deposit than ES. ES is usually the chapest rate.

From what I understand if you buy insurance (which I did) and something would happened and you couldn't go, you get a complete refund, deposit and all even booking ES (which I did).

The currently offered Past Guest rate on all the cruises I'm currently watching includes the so-called upgrade and you pick your specific cabin in the higher category. The PG rate looks to be $20 or $30 more than the Early Saver rate, with the advantage that you can cancel up to final payment deadline, and if you really want to, you can switch to Early Saver (as long as it's being offered). ken

From what I understand if you buy insurance (which I did) and something would happened and you couldn't go, you get a complete refund, deposit and all even booking ES (which I did).

what kind of insurance and from whom?? It would depend on what kind of insurance you bought.

I know carnival offers cancel for any reason which is not 100% refund as a for instance.

What is covered under your policy, if its a covered reason, then you should have 100% coverage .. but again it depends on which policy you bought.

Years ago people raved about the "upgrade fairy"....

you could, as a past guest, get lucky when you boarded...wheee..

no extra charge...no nada

an inside became an outside or whatever..

but then computerization and marketing stepped in and they hired many telemarketers who are now called the "upSELL fairy"

key word is sell...they do play make a deal I guess...they keep calling until someone takes the bait and upgrades for a variable fee

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

the funny part is that MSC *(a line many don't like) is so backward in their computer system that they do still "upgrade" at whim...which benefited me

but who knows??

I called my carnival rep to book my last cruise. By doing this I got a better rate and upgrade than what was on the website. I got an aft balcony for the same early saver rate as a regular balcony. She helped me look at the different rates and sales and cash back options to come up with the rate. I saved a couple of hundred dollars off my 2 booked cabins, plua a better upgrade than what I got online. Try calling instead of booking online.

We've been on three Carnival cruises so far (all on the Legend!) The first one, we booked an Inside. The second was our wedding cruise and we booked a balcony. This last one, we booked Past Guest in an Inside. Ended up with an Ocean View, although I'm not sure exactly what category that was. We had sliders that opened fully.

So, yes, it happens.

If you have Carnival's Policy: if you cancel for cancellation reasons listed in the policy you get a full reimbursement of all non-refundable costs. If you cancel for reasons not listed in the Policy, you get a future cruise credit for all non-refundable costs. If you booked Early Saver, there is allegedly a procedure via Carnival and Berkely to recover your normally non-refundable deposit as well as the $50pp penalty.

For Policies other than Carnival's: if you cancel for cancellation reasons listed in the Policy you get full reimbursement of all non-refundable costs. If you cancel for reasons not listed in the Policy AND you purchased the normally optional "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage, you'll be reimbursed only a percentage of the non-refundable costs - that percentage can vary from 50% to 90% depending on the insurer, and may decrease the closer to sailaway that you cancel. If you booked Early Saver and are cancelling prior to Final Payment Deadline, it might be a "challenge" to get reimbursed for the ES deposit that Carnival holds/applies to the next booking.

ken

on numerous cruzes...always book G'T, and have gotten window/port cabin..this has happened on the way to port...after 4:00 sail a way, or @ check in. just happed..I am now a "Diamond" so far over 250 nites @ sea, with 4 more booked @ present. Que' sera sera...still cruzin

Archived