Jewel, Return June 2...Wow

roger001

Wow...where to begin. It was great...everything. We had sailed the Pearl three times , including Glacier bay, and love her. The Jewel is very similar. Arrived Seattle a day early, weather beautiful, an annual folk craft festival in progress. Rode bus in front of hotel to Pike Market, walked to monorail and rode it to space needle and festival. Wonderful day. Got to port next day early, about 10:15, in line and in terminal about 10:30. Quickly processed in, NCL and port persons were very helpful, and Jewel was ready for boarding about 11:30. We had all been assigned group numbers for boarding. When ours was called, we were about first 20 person on ship. Went to pool deck, snacked food, drank, and people watched.

Except for no Bliss lounge (shops are located there instead) and no bowling alleys, the Jewel is so close to the Pearl that I didn't even take pictures on the ship. The crew, staff, everyone were the usual NCL fantastic wonderful persons that we had have always loved. I smile from the time I board until crying as I exit. In the past, we (and most others) have considered the Pearl to have the best buffet in the fleet. However, I now vote the Jewel as the best. The island layout of the food stations was excellent for dispersing the crowd a bit. And...the food was excellent. There was a big variety each meal and all very good. In fact, we only ate in the MDR once (it was good and service good). My wife found so much to her liking in the buffet, we just continued to eat there. I can't figure how people can fault it with so much to choose from. Of course, had to have my usual helpings of chilled soups and pretzel bread. Oh, they had a good Indian food selection for most meals.

The port stops weather were excellent except for some rain in Ketchikan. The Duck boat tour there was fun and interesting with Anthony, the guide, being a very funny fourth generation local. For Juneau, I recommend a trip out to the Mendenhall glacier and visitor center. The visitor center provides an excellent education on glaciers. We had been in Glacier bay before, but really didn't know much about them. Also, the visitor center and the walking paths get you very close to the glacier. Oh...search Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Wow...Alaskan King Crab legs, crab cakes, and a crab bisque that my wife wil now kill you to get.

And then....the highlight of the cruise for me....wow, I was speechless with what we saw next. The Jewel left Juneau and turned up Endicott arm. The first planned glacier viewing to the left was blocked because of ice flows. However.....wow....we continued on up the arm for miles into one of the most magnificent setting of nature I've ever seen. Either side of this huge ship was towering granite snow capped mountains....and only 50 feet from either side of the ship at several points. Beautiful blue ice flows became more numerous until up ahead, at the end, the beautiful Dawes glacier. We sat in the middle of blue ice flows with seals resting on them while looking at the glacier. Unbelievable! And how this huge ship maneuvered up there and still had room to turn around was amazing. We sat up there as the ship slowly rotated for 30 minutes. I literally was breathless and speechless. The ship opened the crew's front bow area for additional viewing, and the crew was permitted to come up on the passenger area so they could too view. One crew member was standing near me taking pictures. I said to him how wonderful it all was. He said, "we are looking at God's creation".

Skagway was, well, Skagway. Had been there before and toured. So this time just walked the town and bought some more Pepsi at the local market. Victoria, again excellent weather. It had been pouring rain until just a few hours before. Went out to Butchart Gardens. If you like flowers, you will find this place unbelievable.

Entertainment on board, the comedy magician was super funny...and his magic amazing. He's the SharkBait of the magicians I think. Fire and Ice, a two person singing group, played different locations and different type songs each night...and were great. Oh...for beer lovers....Alaskan Brewery beer was loaded in Seattle. It included their IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale, and Lager. That made beer drinking so much nicer than the usual stuff served by NCL.

Again, I can't say how much I loved the crew (as usual). From the washy washy girls, to the servers, to our room steward, the bar waiters, the omelet maker out in the Great Outdoors, wow...they all just make a cruise so great.

We did go to the two Latitudes parties. One of the servers keep loading my wife with rum punches so fast, that she needed to go back for a nap after it was over.

Back at Seattle, never, never have we had such a quick and smooth exit from the ship. We were first group called after the "walk offs" were gone. We didn't hurry to exit, doing so about 8:30, and walked a steady pace, never stopping in line, until a short line for a quick passport check by customs. Then out to the luggage pick up area, onto the street, onto a shuttle, and at the airport almost four hours early. Thank you port of Seattle for excellent service.

Anyhow, as you can see, we had yet another wonderful NCL cruise. And we have two more already booked.

Great review, Roger!! I'm on the same ship in less than 2 months! I can't wait!

We are already looking forward to your review Mike.

I can think of no better cruise than the Jewel in Alaska. Never been but maybe someday. For now the port of Miami is just too convienent for me so I get stuck with the carribean ;)

We are already looking forward to your review Mike.

I can think of no better cruise than the Jewel in Alaska. Never been but maybe someday. For now the port of Miami is just too convienent for me so I get stuck with the carribean ;)

Nothing better than driving to a ship, David. We've done it a couple times up to LA (90 minutes or so) but nothing really leaves from San Diego that I'm interested in. Living in SoFL would be a cruiser's dream. Hello last minute weekender!

Glad you had such a good time, Roger001.

Question: as someone who has been on both the Pearl and Jewel, which is your favorite?

And now that you've been to both Glacier Bay and Sawyer Glacier, which of these is your favorite?

I am itching to go to Alaska again, so would like to know your opinion since you have done both of both.

Wellllllll...........loved the Jewel, as indicated by my review. However......for no reason other than she was our first ship...and we have now been on her three times, if I have to vote, I will have to go with the Pearl. Additionally, with the three sailings, we actually know a few of the crew and it's like home getting on board. My wife is even on facebook with two of them. However, either ship is just great.

Reference the Glaciers, Glacier Bay is always the big winner as most cruisers' favorite. And, that is certainly a must see for a magnificient glacier. However,and someone in an earlier post today mentioned this, trying to compare Tracy Arm and her Glaciers (or in our case last week, Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier) with Glacier Bay Glacier is missing the point. Just for viewing a glacier, the Glacier Bay Glacier is certainly the biggest and best. But for me, and the other reviewer, it's as much the trip up the Arms to the glaciers as it is the actual glacier when you reach the end. I haven't been up Tracy Arm. It was blocked with ice flows last week. We instead continued up Endicott Arm. And.....big and....that trip up the arm was magnificient. I was literally speachless and breathless looking at all that surrounded me. We wound our way up this narrow passage with rock wall leading up to snow capped peaks, the walls being only 50 feet or so either side of the ship on occasion. And then, Dawes glacier at the end is no slouch herself. Also, ice flows around the ship with seals resting on them. So...no correct answer. Do them all if you can. The worst you'll see is outstanding.

Here's a bunch, way too many, unedited pics of the trip up Endicott Arm last week on the Jewel. The first four pics I think are looking off the port side of the ship as we pass what should be Tracy Arm, where we were going to go. However, in about pic 4, you can see some of the ice flows that blocked us doing so. We then continued straight ahead winding up Endicott arm until arriving at Dawes glacier. In pics 1822 and 1823 (I think those are the ones) look how close the edge of the arm is to both sides of the ship.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Endicott%20Arm%20Dawes%20Glacier/?start=all

Thank you, Roger, for the opinions and pictures; what a beautiful sight!

As you can see in my signature, our first cruise to Alaska was on the Sun, and the itinerary was to Sawyer Glacier. But like your trip, a storm the day before kept us from getting very close. Unfortunately, our captain did not take us up Endicott Arm. The next two cruises on the Pearl were both to Glacier Bay. Interestingly enough, one was the first cruise in May, (also the Pearl's first Alaskan trip), and one was the last trip in the fall. The difference between seasons was interesting, as well as the change in the glaciers from one trip to the next.

Your review has made me want to return to Alaska again! DH is interested in one of the land/cruise itineraries, but the only problem is that it is one way, and the flight would probably cost as much as the cruise!

Thank you' date=' Roger, for the opinions and pictures; what a beautiful sight!

As you can see in my signature, our first cruise to Alaska was on the Sun, and the itinerary was to Sawyer Glacier. But like your trip, a storm the day before kept us from getting very close. Unfortunately, our captain did not take us up Endicott Arm. The next two cruises on the Pearl were both to Glacier Bay. Interestingly enough, one was the first cruise in May, (also the Pearl's first Alaskan trip), and one was the last trip in the fall. The difference between seasons was interesting, as well as the change in the glaciers from one trip to the next.

Your review has made me want to return to Alaska again! DH is interested in one of the land/cruise itineraries, but the only problem is that it is one way, [b']and the flight would probably cost as much as the cruise[/b]!

Yea..flying expense is a real issue when planning a cruise, and getting worse. We will drive if necessary to New Orleans or Port Canaveral (live in middle Tennessee). Other than that, South West has to go there or we don't go. Fortunately I've earned enough credits with them that I haven't had to buy a ticket in quite a while.

Let me add one thing I forgot. Reference the buffet, with this being an Alaskan cruise, it is generally crowded. Reason being, with warm weather cruises usually half the ship is out on the pool deck at any time. However, with the Alaskan cruise and cool weather, the pool deck is mostly empty...and everyone seems to migrate into the buffet (Garden Cafe) area. If seats are hard to find during the breakfast hours, go towards the back and turn right into the Italian restaurant area. It is left open for breakfast seating. Or...weather good enough, continue back to the Great Outdoors (actually, the Great Outdoors has breakfast set up also). Or....as we frequently did, ask the persons sitting at tables with empty seats, tables frequently occupied by only one or two persons, if they would mind you sharing the table. Or go to the MDR for a nice sit down breakfast.....and ask you server for a basket of danish, pastries, rolls while waiting for your breakfast. They use to be on the table. But I think because of the huge waste of them being fondled and not eaten, the menu says please just request them now.

I'm so glad to read your review. We did the Pearl last year, loved it. We actually did the Pearl twice (Alaska/Caribbean), and my DDs bonded with a few of the crew - so I had debated my choice of doing the Jewel this year, instead of the Pearl again. But we wanted different port times (more time in Ketchikan/Victoria).

That is cool about your wife being friends post cruise with some of the servers. I wish we had thought of that when we were on the ship.

Your pictures have me excited to go!! Thank you so much for your review.

Let me add one thing I forgot. Reference the buffet, with this being an Alaskan cruise, it is generally crowded. Reason being, with warm weather cruises usually half the ship is out on the pool deck at any time. However, with the Alaskan cruise and cool weather, the pool deck is mostly empty...and everyone seems to migrate into the buffet (Garden Cafe) area. If seats are hard to find during the breakfast hours, go towards the back and turn right into the Italian restaurant area. It is left open for breakfast seating. Or...weather good enough, continue back to the Great Outdoors (actually, the Great Outdoors has breakfast set up also). Or....as we frequently did, ask the persons sitting at tables with empty seats, tables frequently occupied by only one or two persons, if they would mind you sharing the table. Or go to the MDR for a nice sit down breakfast.....and ask you server for a basket of danish, pastries, rolls while waiting for your breakfast. They use to be on the table. But I think because of the huge waste of them being fondled and not eaten, the menu says please just request them now.

Good to know! I suspect Ill be eating in the restaurant more than once! :p

...and everyone seems to migrate into the buffet (Garden Cafe) area. If seats are hard to find during the breakfast hours, go towards the back and turn right into the Italian restaurant area. It is left open for breakfast seating.

I was on last week's cruise too, and this may be the No. 1 tip I could offer anyone. Breakfast or lunch after you get your buffet food, head straight for Mama's Kitchen. Not only were there always open tables there when they were impossible to find in the buffet area, but it is also an infinitely more roomy and relaxing place to enjoy a meal.

Jim

Thank you for sharing your Cruise on the Jewel. I will be on the Jewel in September so it is good to hear about the Ship. I Cruised Alaska on the Star and my favorite Ship is the Pearl. Great Ship so I am sure the Jewel will be.:D

Archived