Inside cabins and grills

Menelaus

The cost is vastly different and so is the service - or it should be for the money.

The brochure does tend to show pictures of passengers in the Grills, to describe life in the Grills rather than in Britannia .

You will not get a Grill experience in Britannia.

The cost is vastly different and so is the service - or it should be for the money.

The brochure does tend to show pictures of passengers in the Grills, to describe life in the Grills rather than in Britannia .

I think it depends. I've traveled in the Grills and in Britannia. It doesn't seem to me that they are that vastly different. In Britannia the experience can vary, and has changed a great deal since QM2's first crossings. As for the passengers, I really see more or less the same variations in both Grills and Britannia (with perhaps a little more variation in the latter). Of course the Grills are smaller, more intimate, have open seating, and perhaps slightly better food.

I really enjoy both, but as I said the experience in Britannia can vary. The Grills are more of a safe bet in terms of predictability.

I wouldn't expect to get a Grill experience in Britannia, it would rather defeat the point of paying for the Grills.

However, the service I received in Caronia grade on the QE2, and in Britannia grade on the QV & QM2 (and I expect to receive shortly on the QE), was almost as good as I observed in the Queens Grill Lounge on the QE2 and during a drinks party in a Duplex Suite on the QM2.

With a very few, minor exceptions, I continue to be delighted with many aspects of voyages with Cunard, most esp. the service I receive. I try to remember to treat the stewards and crew as I would wish to be treated, they work hard so I don't have to.

Bon Voyage from the UK to all on Cunard's ships in this Jubilee and Olympic year!

I've only done Queens Grill on QE2. The food was wonderful, the restaurant much more intimate and exceptional service....though it was to the point where in a way was a bit over the top. Staff would stand lined up against the wall nearby our table and if you dropped a fork they were on it in less than 10 seconds. I did order off menu a few times. It was very nice. I've only done Britannia on QM2 and the food was good, service good to not so good at times, the dining room larger, busier and of course noisier. Will be crossing in Oct and will be in Princess Grill. If anyone has any tips or comments on Princess Grill pass it along. Many thanks.

I wouldn't expect to get a Grill experience in Britannia, it would rather defeat the point of paying for the Grills.

However, the service I received in Caronia grade on the QE2, and in Britannia grade on the QV & QM2 (and I expect to receive shortly on the QE), was almost as good as I observed in the Queens Grill Lounge on the QE2 and during a drinks party in a Duplex Suite on the QM2.

With a very few, minor exceptions, I continue to be delighted with many aspects of voyages with Cunard, most esp. the service I receive. I try to remember to treat the stewards and crew as I would wish to be treated, they work hard so I don't have to.

Bon Voyage from the UK to all on Cunard's ships in this Jubilee and Olympic year!

When comparing the two, I didn't mean Britannia would deliver a Grills experience, but that, apart from the much better staterooms, I don't see a gaping difference between the two.

I did like Caronia on QE2. I was so sorry QM2 does not have a Caronia grade, or the equivalent. As a result, I travel in the Grills sometimes and Britannia other times, since I travel back and forth quite often, and all Grills would kill me (besides, I don't think the Grills are worth spending that much on a 7 day trip too often).

When comparing the two, I didn't mean Britannia would deliver a Grills experience, but that, apart from the much better staterooms, I don't see a gaping difference between the two.
I'm sure you didn't... sorry If I appeared to suggest it, and I couldn't agree more with your words above, from my (limited) experience in Grills territory.
I did like Caronia on QE2. I was so sorry QM2 does not have a Caronia grade, or the equivalent. As a result, I travel in the Grills sometimes and Britannia other times, since I travel back and forth quite often, and all Grills would kill me (besides, I don't think the Grills are worth spending that much on a 7 day trip too often).

I suppose that Britannia Grill is an attempt at Caronia Grade. The best service I have ever experienced in a restaurant, at sea or on land, was in the Caronia Restaurant on the QE2.

Very best wishes and Bon Voyage for all your future crossings :) .

I have to add to your quote, I'm not sure the brochure pictures are meant to depict the Grills. I don't think they're a realistic depiction of the Grills either; not at all. They are rather generic "this is what classy looks like" commercial photos.

One pays quite a bit more for the Grills, but whoever thinks money = class is rather naive I think (a person who becomes rich then poor then rich, etc, is still the same person).

The brochure photos are designed to give the impression that QM2 is a "luxury liner". That is the point I think.

I'm sure you didn't... sorry If I appeared to suggest it, and I couldn't agree more with your words above, from my (limited) experience in Grills territory.

I suppose that Britannia Grill is an attempt at Caronia Grade. The best service I have ever experienced in a restaurant, at sea or on land, was in the Caronia Restaurant on the QE2.

Very best wishes and Bon Voyage for all your future crossings :) .

Why, thank you Pepperrn, and to you as well.

I've only done Queens Grill on QE2. The food was wonderful, the restaurant much more intimate and exceptional service....though it was to the point where in a way was a bit over the top. Staff would stand lined up against the wall nearby our table and if you dropped a fork they were on it in less than 10 seconds. I did order off menu a few times. It was very nice. I've only done Britannia on QM2 and the food was good, service good to not so good at times, the dining room larger, busier and of course noisier. Will be crossing in Oct and will be in Princess Grill. If anyone has any tips or comments on Princess Grill pass it along. Many thanks.

You'll find Princess Grill to be much like Queens Grill.Service is much more personal in the Grills(many fewer pax) The menu choice is a bit smaller.The restaurant is a bit smaller(actually, more intimate) Caviar is normally offered free on one night. It's free every night in Q-Grill. It's a little harder to order off menu, but most accomodations are made if a days notice is made.Your suite is generally about 383 Sq. ft V/S 506+ Sq. Ft in Q-Grill suites. Overall, I think you'll have a fine time.

Will be crossing in Oct and will be in Princess Grill. If anyone has any tips or comments on Princess Grill pass it along. Many thanks.

Very nice, large staterooms with good size bathrooms (and baths, ah...), pleasant, elegant, intimate dining room. Very enjoyable. QM2 Grills are quieter and more sedate than Britannia I find. I have yet to see any raucousness there.

However, in the Grills, or Princess Grill, I would be uncomfortable changing tables should I find my table mates were not compatible, as the room is small. Luckily it hasn't happened to me in Princess Grill yet.

You'll find Princess Grill to be much like Queens Grill.Service is much more personal in the Grills(many fewer pax) The menu choice is a bit smaller.The restaurant is a bit smaller(actually, more intimate) Caviar is normally offered free on one night. It's free every night in Q-Grill. It's a little harder to order off menu, but most accomodations are made if a days notice is made.Your suite is generally about 383 Sq. ft V/S 506+ Sq. Ft in Q-Grill suites. Overall, I think you'll have a fine time.

That's been discontinued.

Ordering off menu was no trouble at all. The only time I witnessed any difficulties was when a table companion ordered something off menu at dinner (without any advance warning) and, of course, they weren't able to accommodate the request.

It sounds like the PG suite on QM2 is a little bigger than the Q2 suite I had on QE2. I think the Q2 was 355sq ft but not sure if that included the balcony, I think it did. It wasn't a huge cabin but nicely configured. I understand the PG suites have a nice sized walk in closet, that's good because I think my daughter will be bringing her closet. We did a P3 guarantee. I suppose its possible to get upgraded to QG but unlikely given there are many P1 and P2, though only 4 P3s, so we'll probably end up with a P1 or P2 but any of the P3 suites are fine too. Seemed like a very safe guarantee, I've never booked a guarantee before.

The mention of caviar reminds me of one rough night on QE2 I spent more of in the bathroom than my bed. The butler had left a plate with caviar for the afternoon hors d'oerves. I had some but it seemed a bit off, I didn't finish it. It was the last night and had to get up early the next morning to disembark. Picked up a rental car and had to drive to the Gloucester area, almost fell asleep at the wheel on the M5. It was terrible but long story short I haven't had caviar since! I did order escargot off menu in QG, I'll ask about that in PG, its fine if its the next night or 2.

I think we'll enjoy the smaller restaurant again, we did request a table for 2 so hopefully they'll be able to accommodate that request and we won't have to deal with potentially incompatible table mates. On one QM2 crossing in Britannia with the tables so close together we were seated next to a table with this man who spoke with a horrible put on high brow accent and was incredibly boring, it was difficult not to overhear the table conversation with only a foot or so table separation. If I was his table mate I think I would have shot myself! I will assume PG has better table separation? I'm looking forward to the single seating and being able to show up early or late. Anyone know when is the latest practical to eat an unrushed dinner? 8? Also what about room service? I hear there's a special menu for PG, the regular room service menu was quite limited. We do like to have breakfast in the cabin usually.

Thanks to all for your help.

And of course most of the ship is open to all passengers, theatre, all the events in Illuminations, Queens Room and most of the bars and other rooms.

I don't know if the Grill standards have fallen over the years but I would agree that the general level of service has gone down compared to QE2.

David.

Whitemarsh,

Thanks for the pics! PG looks very nice. I've never done the Britannia Club but have been in it, it looks nice. I have noticed Britannia Club usually sells out rather quick on most sailings so rarely see Britannia Club discounted, PG sales are more common. When we did our booking we hit a PG sale and the price difference between PG and Britannia Club was only $300 pp so it was a no brainer but usually the price difference is much more. I guess it depends on how you hit the sales.

Toad, LOL he looks early! He is hungry!

The grills have a separate kitchen with anytime dining. It puts less strain on it than the Britannia. The food is far better. If you can go up do it! I found a huge difference grills and Britannia class and now wouldn't travel any other way.

To offer the other view, I have travelled in the Grills and whilst I enjoyed it I really didn't think that the difference justified the vast disparity in cost. I find the food in Britannia quite acceptable most of the time and if there is a problem, if it is pointed out to your waiters, they bend over backwards to resolve it immediately.

Basically from what I can tell there are only two main differences between Grills and Britannia:

1. You dine in different locations and the Grills menu is different.

2. You get a bigger stateroom in Grills.

I guess if you're fussy about food, spend loads of time in your room and can afford to splash out then Grills is for you.

For those who aren't fussy about food, who don't spend much time in their room and who would rather spend the extra money shopping and having experiences on shore then a regular stateroom sounds ideal.

Either way, you get a Cunard experience that is superior to most other lines. Correct me if my assertion is wrong, I'm waiting for my first Cunard voyage (with great anticipation)!

Basically from what I can tell there are only two main differences between Grills and Britannia:

I guess if you're fussy about food, spend loads of time in your room and can afford to splash out then Grills is for you.

For those who aren't fussy about food, who don't spend much time in their room and who would rather spend the extra money shopping and having experiences on shore then a regular stateroom sounds ideal.

Either way, you get a Cunard experience that is superior to most other lines. Correct me if my assertion is wrong, I'm waiting for my first Cunard voyage (with great anticipation)!

I would say that you are spot on! Enjoy your first trip.

Your assertion and my personal experience differs. I admit to being rather fussy about food, and I spend about 12 hours in my balcony cabin most days (8 hours in bed, one hour for breakfast room service, 2 hours reading on the balcony and at least one hour showering/ dressing/doing hair/makeup etc per day) . I don't spend much money shopping. And yet a "regular stateroom" works well for me, contrary to your theory.

By the way if by "regular stateroom", you mean Britannia Category, then you are asserting that 85% of the passengers on board meet your assessment of passengers on a ship on which you have not yet sailed.

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

Your assertion and my personal experience differs. I admit to being rather fussy about food, and I spend about 12 hours in my balcony cabin most days (8 hours in bed, one hour for breakfast room service, 2 hours reading on the balcony and at least one hour showering/ dressing/doing hair/makeup etc per day) . I don't spend much money shopping. And yet a "regular stateroom" works well for me, contrary to your theory.

By the way if by "regular stateroom", you mean Britannia Category, then you are asserting that 85% of the passengers on board meet your assessment of passengers on a ship on which you have not yet sailed.

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

I refer to the person who is making a choice between Grills and Britannia. It wasn't really a comment directed at those who have no choice but to sail Britannia grade.

Apologies if I confused you.

Archived