Help with Packing. Please.

Bsan1221

I have read the wonderful threads regarding packing.

However, living in Sunny Miami Beach, Florida, you can imagine hubby and I really dont buy any winter clothes. I maybe own 1 sweater, 1 pair of boots and 1 leather jacket (all of which I run to my closet and grap everytime the temp. goes to 65. LOL., since I cant wear it at any other time).

I went yesterday to Sports Authority, Ross, Sears and Macys and I really couldnt find anything. I was able to find a windbreaker suit for my hubby but for me I was only able to find a fleece jacket, a velvet material thin jacket and one pair of pants that is like windbreaker type material on the outside and its lined on the inside with like cotton or something..

We are going dog sledding, helicopter riding, kayaking, and Glacier Hiking.

Do you think wearing jeans the rest of the time will do??

Will the leather jacket be very uncomfortable?

I guess I can wear those lined pants everyday and get them cleaned everyday?

Will a fleece jacket do?

Will hiking boots be better or sneakers???

We live in Key West so I understand your problem. We found some good winter clothing at consignment shops. Northeners come down and unload their winter clothes. Check it out. Or maybe you have a friend who can loan you something. We're certainly not buying anything new just for one week. I figure I'll get a sweatshirt from Alaska and just wear it everyday! Taking my one pair of shoes with toes-walking shoes, my one pair of jeans, my long sleeved denim shirt to wear under the sweatshirt, and my one jacket (the one I grab when it hits 70!) Plan to get a cheap rain poncho when we get up there if we need one.

Bsan....your fleece jacket is great. Wear it over a cotton top and your sweater. Then as the day warms up, you can take the jacket off. I heard to bring mitts as it is cold on the glaciers. If you are dog sledding...you'll be in snow...mitts would be a good thing. I'd say bring both the hiking boots and the sneakers.

do you have time to knit yourself a pair of mitts...or as Webegone suggested, go to a consignment shop and look for warmer outer wear.

I live in Canada so having these apparel items is second nature to us....but I doubt if Miami has a real need for it.

Hope the suggestions help! :)

Forget about the leather jacket and go with the fleece. For pants, we stuck with jeans (2 pairs...if only 1 and it gets wet from rain, you won't be happy). Some strongly prefer wind pants for quick drying and less weight. For the top consider the following layers: (1) t-shirts; (2) 1-2 sweaters/sweatshirts; (3) fleece jacket; (4) outer jacket that is not very thick, has lining ... this will be better for blocking the wind that gets through the fleece...note that this is the sort of jacket that we wear in LA during the evening, so nothing big; (4) hooded raingear of some type. You'll end up needing different combinations of this depending on the weather and circumstances ... in port, at glaciers, early morning, on deck viewing. And you'll need more warmth in the shoulder season. Also, you'll want a pair of knit gloves and something to cover your ears (knit hat or a jacket/sweatshirt with a hood). Also throw in a pair of shorts or two just in case. Dressing appropriately means you'll enjoy yourself and be able to get out on deck.

Don't bother with the hiking boots unless you're doing some really serious hiking. We brought them but ended up preferring the tennis shoes for all of our activities/hiking. Boots are not ideal for the kayak. Best advice is 2 pairs of comfortable walking shoes ... again in case one gets wet.

I need to find mitts and at least a hat for me and hubby.

I will try to see where there is a consignment shop around my area.

WILL THE JEANS DO??? OR WILL I HAVE FROST BITE ON MY BUM???

Thanks,

Another vote for the fleece jacket. It works out perfect for me. Jeans are fine during the day. I have always worn them and have had no problem, but of course if it rains you are not protected too much. Make darn sure to bring an umbrella and a pair of mittens. When you are sailing around a glacier or on a glacier it can get might cold. If you have ear muffs or something to cover your ears while on glacier bring that.

Marilyn

I hope I can find all these types of things before I leave...

You guys would be really proud. :D . there was a big clearance at Ross for winter stuff

and guess how much I paid for my fleece jacket.............................................................................

(DRUM ROLL PLEASE)

$5.99

HOWEVER, that wasnt my biggest bargin.....

my biggest bargin was the NIKE windbreaker type pants w/ the cotton lining

Originally priced $21.99

Clearance Price was $11.99

When I got to the register and she scanned it the pants came out to $0.49 ... :eek:

Not EVEN $0.50 cents...

$0.49 CENTS...

Anyhow, I had to share

Betty,

I've never taken anything but jeans for daytime, but your lined pants will be good if you're kayaking or dogsledding in the rain. You can't get them cleaned every day--if you send them out for cleaning, they might not be done with them the next day.

Leave the leather at home. We're probably going to get rained on anyways.

You don't need hiking boots, sneakers are fine. They'll give you special boots to put over them for the glacier hiking.

If you have an REI sports or any type of sporting goods store, you can get a thin waterproof jacket to put over the fleece.

Does something like this work??

Columbia Sportswear Storm Catcher Jacket - Women's

Two-layer nylon Omni-Tech™ StormDry™ offers waterproof, breathable protection

Main body has mesh lining for good wicking and breathability; nylon taffeta in lower body and arms is durable and slides easily over clothing

Attached hood has visor and volume control/storage tab

Radial Sleeve™ design allows freedom of movement

Hand pockets close with snaps and inside security pocket doubles as a stuff sack

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856840

You might try Beall's or Burlington coat factory. We bought silky long underwear. It doesn't weigh anything and with that you need very little. Also, gloves and a hat when you are near the glacier as well as a small umbrella. (then you insure it won't rain). Extra pair of Nikes in case they get wet.

Of course I'm from MT and am looking forward to the warm costal weather in Alaska. The biggest mistake most people make with cold weather clothes is to wear to much and SPEND way to much. Leather is out but a lined wind breaker over a thermal hooddie over a cotton turtle neck is good for below zero and plenty enough for you Floridians Jeans are fine as long as you stay dry. Tennis shoes are great for everywhere but instead of boot two pairs of socks with a plastic bread sack between them for the Glacires is plenty and aloy easier to pack (Take the bread sack out 1 pair of socks after the glacier excursion or your feet will sweat. Sweat is your enemy!!!) A half dozen dispoasable rain ponchos can be had 4 for a dollar at the dollar store. Use 'em and toss 'em. SE Alaska rain is more like mist it is after all a Rain Forrest not the tundra! Head wear is the most important. 80% of your heat loss is through the top of your head! Just a non mesh baseball cap will be enough most of the time except on a Glacier dog run or shipoard Glacier viewing then you Hoodie comes in. The little stretch gloves I've seen in Wal-Mart even in Florida are great and only a buck and don't take up any room. A back-pack for your extra layers is also good. It will likly get in the high sixties and seventies most days. I can't hardly wait. I shoveled another 3 inches of snow off my deck lat night! Sorry for the long post:)

Of course I'm from MT and am looking forward to the warm costal weather in Alaska. The biggest mistake most people make with cold weather clothes is to wear to much and SPEND way to much. Leather is out but a lined wind breaker over a thermal hooddie over a cotton turtle neck is good for below zero and plenty enough for you Floridians Jeans are fine as long as you stay dry. Tennis shoes are great for everywhere but instead of boot two pairs of socks with a plastic bread sack between them for the Glacires is plenty and aloy easier to pack (Take the bread sack out 1 pair of socks after the glacier excursion or your feet will sweat. Sweat is your enemy!!!) A half dozen dispoasable rain ponchos can be had 4 for a dollar at the dollar store. Use 'em and toss 'em. SE Alaska rain is more like mist it is after all a Rain Forrest not the tundra! Head wear is the most important. 80% of your heat loss is through the top of your head! Just a non mesh baseball cap will be enough most of the time except on a Glacier dog run or shipoard Glacier viewing then you Hoodie comes in. The little stretch gloves I've seen in Wal-Mart even in Florida are great and only a buck and don't take up any room. A back-pack for your extra layers is also good. It will likly get in the high sixties and seventies most days. I can't hardly wait. I shoveled another 3 inches of snow off my deck lat night! Sorry for the long post:)

Thank you for your GREAT post!!!

I learned a lot... I will go to Wal-mart tomorrow and check on the mittens.

I went to Target but no mittens. :confused:

We'll be in Juneau, Skagway and Kechikan the first 3 days of June. We're planning to dress in layers, but do you think I should bring some short sleeve shirts for the bottom layer? My long sleeve shirts will be the kind I wear here (New Jersey) in the spring, not heavy winter shirts. I don't want to overpack, but I figure it's better to have short sleeves that I can cover with a sweatshirt if necessary, rather than be dressed to warm and not be able to do anything about it.

Thanks for the help.

Laurel

You ladies have the best thing to keep you warm, a nice pair of nylons, or tights. To be honest, I used to work in construction and it got mighty cold on some of those buildings, and I was not embarrassed to take a pair of my wifes nylons along. It's not a coss dressing thing, just the best thiing to keep you warm.

Gloves: Hard to buy where you live. Just take some of those cheap black cotton ones they sell in the garden shop. Just that little bit will make a big difference, and if they get lost - who cares at $1 a pair

Jackets - though not heavy, someone turned me onto a nice rain/overcoat thing sold at Walmart in the outdoor/sporting section for about $20. Actually a nice two tone blue thing, very light, but it will block the rain and goes good over top your sweater or sweatshirt.

Shoes: Tennis shoes with real white sox. Cann't be beat

We'll be in Juneau, Skagway and Kechikan the first 3 days of June. We're planning to dress in layers, but do you think I should bring some short sleeve shirts for the bottom layer? My long sleeve shirts will be the kind I wear here (New Jersey) in the spring, not heavy winter shirts. I don't want to overpack, but I figure it's better to have short sleeves that I can cover with a sweatshirt if necessary, rather than be dressed to warm and not be able to do anything about it.

Thanks for the help.

Laurel

Yes, you will need some short sleeved shirts. The average high in June for Juneau and Ketchikan is in the lower 60s but the record highs are in the 80s.. Either pack a couple short sleeved shirts or plan on buying T-shirts on the cruise.

Hi there,

We will be sailing on the Island Princess May 21. I live in San Diego, so I understand about the winter cloths issue. Not much calling here for snow cloths. However you might want to do what I am planning on. I know that laying is a must and I plan on wearing alot of fleese. Also I am not too worried about finding nor taking heavy cloths. I figure that if the weather is colder than what I packed for, I will just shop up in Alaska. I mean why spend $ here when part of the fun of going on vacation is the shopping. We are not into travel trinkits for the house etc. I like cloths, such as shirts, sweat shirts and jackets. This way I won't pack so much & the airlines won't be pointing that little finger at me saying you owe $20 more dollors for over weight bags. :eek:

Pam:D

I recently bought black silk long underware from Landsend using internet. Service is always great from them. I will wear these under wind pants and have them when walking our dogs in the fall. Just a thought. We leave for Alaska Jul 3 on the NCL Sun.;)

Archived