Help with Packing. Please.

Bsan1221

Totes, is a great place to purchase gloves, jackets, hats and anything you might need for travel. They are usually located at the Outlet Malls!!

Hope this helps.

I actually like the idea of under-packing not enough T-shirts and then buying some there. You still have to haul your luggage back home, after you bought all the souvenirs. If you pack your own T-shirts and then buy more, you'll have issues coming back. And with coupons the white Alaska T-shirts are really cheap. On the mucky days I ended up just wearing two Alaska T-shirts I bought over each other.

Thanks for all the ideas...

I dont have any of those outlets close to me plus am short on time I will try to go to Burlington which is about 45 mins away from me with no traffic.. Thanks all

If you've never heard of these, do an internet search and you can read about them. They are great for insulation. I have worn them all over northern europe. They are basically long undies - tops, bottoms, whatever. They are so soft and take such little space in luggage. I know I'll be taking mine to Alaska. They are even great to sleep in! Cuddl Duds (yes, no e on cuddl)

PS I purchased mine on Ebay.

Lots of stores, Betty. They'll be happy to take your money. :)

There are also shops on the ship.

My local drug store sells gardening gloves, and while they're no fashion statement, they'd keep your hands warm. Try that or a garden shop/hardware store if you still want to look this weekend.

I think the best bet will be getting them in Alaska .. AM sure they will be happy to take my Money!

Can you believe I still havent packed.. :eek: AHHH!!! I Leave monday at 6: 20 A.m., am so behind... :(

Lots of stores, Betty. They'll be happy to take your money. :)

There are also shops on the ship.

My local drug store sells gardening gloves, and while they're no fashion statement, they'd keep your hands warm. Try that or a garden shop/hardware store if you still want to look this weekend.

I hope I can find all these types of things before I leave...

You guys would be really proud. :D . there was a big clearance at Ross for winter stuff

and guess how much I paid for my fleece jacket.............................................................................

(DRUM ROLL PLEASE)

$5.99

HOWEVER, that wasnt my biggest bargin.....

my biggest bargin was the NIKE windbreaker type pants w/ the cotton lining

Originally priced $21.99

Clearance Price was $11.99

When I got to the register and she scanned it the pants came out to $0.49 ... :eek:

Not EVEN $0.50 cents...

$0.49 CENTS...

Anyhow, I had to share

I LOVE CLEARANCES!!!

Everyday after work, I stop by Marshall Field's and Carson's and check out the clearance rack. That's a little unusual for a man, LOL! You won't believe the DEALS I get!!!

$80 Ralph Lauren Striped Dress Shirt for $4.28!!!

$179 Alex Cannon Winter Jacket for $39.99!!!

$42 Izod Oceanside Twill Sportshirt for $4.99!!!

$260 Geoffrey Beene Cashmere Sweater for $24.99!!!

$75 Polo Ralph Lauren (in-season style) Polo Shirt for $14.99!!! (at Marshall Field's---the next day I see it at Carson's for FULL price)

$80 Polo Ralph Lauren (in-season style) Polo Shirt for $9.99!!!

I know this thread wasn't meant for this, but if you look you can find AWESOME deals!!!!! (even at Marshall Field's)

-Chris

We always wear our hiking boots to Alaska. Not so much to hike but to keep our feet dry. This will be my third Alaska cruise and everytime it has rained almost the entire time. Sneakers would have been soaked. Did bring them though for the ship during the day. Got the most comfortable boots at Clarks and they are waterproof.

hiking boots are in order, or at least running or walking shoes with cleats or "grip." The rain forest trails are very muddy and slippery, and flat soled canvas shoes won't cut it. My butt was brown the first time I came down Mt. Roberts from sliding down so much. . .

Not only that but the ship has jackets, T-shirts and sweatshirts on sale as soon as we leave port. Rain jackets also .I got one on sale last year in the Caribbean?? I guess winter close-out?. I heard that Ketchikan has a Wal-mart now. Good place for that also.

Since we live in Florida, Magic Gloves aren't in stores right now. I just ordered them from http://www.jenskates.com They have a good variety of sizes(toddler,child,teen,adult) and various colors. This is a figureskating website, so they will have them all year round. The one setback: they are twice as expensive as the dollar store - $2 per pair.

how much of what to pack? For our 7-night cruise, I am considering

bottoms - 2 jeans, 2 pants, 1 dress pant, 2 sweatpants

tops - 5 short sleeve tees, 2 long sleeve tees, 3 sweaters, 2 sweatshirts

1 dress, work out clothes, 1 down vest, 2 light jackets

Is this too much? sound about right? what about the men?

First time cruiser here so any advice would be appreciated!! TIA and happy cruising!!!

I am form Puerto Rico, and I am going to Alaska Inside Passage aboard the Sapphire Princess. I just want to know how cold does it really gets, because for some of you ,well your average temperature during may, may be highh 80's, but here is high 90's-100 especially with all the humidity we have in the island. And well I have only been in cold wether once and it was like 30 degrees, and I felt like I was frezzing to death. So may be 50 degrees are not much, but it's going to be a 50 degrees drop in temp for me. Does it gets lower than 50??? And is Tracy Arm colder than other ports??

I am plannin on bringing some sweat shirts, a leather jacket for hanging around the pomarade deck and the upper decks druing night, and sweat jacket for ports, and a pair of jeans. For my head i am goign to use a cap and a beanie. O and i bought some gloves in a winter sale (not that we need them here in PR). ANy other recommendations??

2 weeks for Sapphire Princess.

Living in Chicago, I know about layering... However, living here for so long, I'm well used to the winters, just not to rainy & cold weather. Definitely looking for clothing that emphasizes being dry. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

annabanana - the list looks about right for a one week cruise. If you are able to splurge or find it on sale, cashmere is really great for Alaska, as it is comfortable through a wider range of temperatures for most people.

jero20 - check http://www.weatherunderground.com - you can plug in last year's weather (day by day, weekly, monthly) - I have found it very helpful. As a random, last summer in Juneau in June, the average high was 68 and the average low was 47. I find the weather there to be invigorating. And always allow for the possibility of rain. Fleece is great too - and another poster mentioned waterproof hiking boots - they're a must.

Tracy Arm, Sitka and Hubbard Glacier tend to be somewhat colder than Juneau, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan, as they face or nearly face the open ocean.

I’m also from Chicago, and going to Alaska in July. :)

I plan on bringing the gortex shell from my heavy winter parka, but not the down lining. Likewise, I’m bringing a gortex “spring” jacket, and my gortex (golf) rain pants.

That way I’ve got the wind and rain covered. (OK – I’ll bring my bucket rain hat as well, and of course a pair of gloves.)

BTW – all of this is available at REI (on line at REI.com if you don’t have a local store).

Anyway, with that on the outside, I figure I can wear what ever I need underneath to keep me warm. I’ll bring my down vest, and a sweater, maybe a couple of long sleeved shirts, but most of my excursions will only have me “exposed to the elements” for brief periods, so I’m not too worried.

On the other hand, this is my first trip to Alaska, so I’d love to hear from some folks that have more experience than I.

Thanks.

how much of what to pack? For our 7-night cruise, I am considering

bottoms - 2 jeans, 2 pants, 1 dress pant, 2 sweatpants

tops - 5 short sleeve tees, 2 long sleeve tees, 3 sweaters, 2 sweatshirts

1 dress, work out clothes, 1 down vest, 2 light jackets

Is this too much? sound about right? what about the men?

First time cruiser here so any advice would be appreciated!! TIA and happy cruising!!!

Hi Annabanana:

IMO I think you have about twice as much as you are going to need. Someone once gave me the best travel packing advice, take all the stuff you want to pack and put it on your bed. Then put half of it away and pack the other half. At that point you will still have two much. Remember there are very good laundry facilities on board, and often they are a nice place to meet people.

Have a wonderful trip,

Archived