CoCo Cay-Am I just Out Of Luck???

TravelRocker

Hi, earlier this year my "Theme" cruise docked at Key West and there was so much to do, shopping, restaurants, beaches, drinking, historical sights etc. Next year they are going to "tender" at CoCo Cay and from my research so far.....well....it looks like a small island with just beach-activities and not much more. Am I seeing this right??? I'm not a lay-on-the-beach/scuba type girl, will I be disappointed??? Thanks!

Hi TravelRocker,

It depends on what you are looking for. For the most part Coco Cay is a wonderful private island with great beaches. So the highlights are probably what you listed that you are not interested in. They do offer water activities other than snorkeling - including jet skiing, para-sailing, kayaking, nature walks, etc. They have a small straw market. They do have several bars and live bands with activities/competitions throughout the day (I could hear the cheering and hollering from my floating mat on the ocean :-) ). They also have a spa where you can get massages.

I believe on the Royal Caribbean website you can see a full list of their excursions for Coco Cay. If none of the appeal to you, there is always the option of staying on the ship. There seemed to be still tons of activities going on during the day on the ship while tendered in Coco Cay. Hope this helps.

Hi, earlier this year my "Theme" cruise docked at Key West and there was so much to do, shopping, restaurants, beaches, drinking, historical sights etc. Next year they are going to "tender" at CoCo Cay and from my research so far.....well....it looks like a small island with just beach-activities and not much more. Am I seeing this right??? I'm not a lay-on-the-beach/scuba type girl, will I be disappointed??? Thanks!

While we totally LOVE CoCoCay, it's a beach lovers place so probably won't be that great for you. You're wise ... best to know what to expect before you go. It may not be what you wish ... but at least you'll be on a beautiful island which may be the better option that just staying on the ship.

We loved coco cay when we were there. The water is beautiful. There are other things to do other than sit on the beach but primarily it is a beach day. There is a straw market and if you walk farther down past where all the people lay it is quieter. You can even see stingrays in the water on the less populated beaches. I would definitely check it out and if its not for you you can go back on the ship.:)

It IS just a beach day....lunch is served on the beach and there are plenty of loungers and hammocks.

The ship will be open, too, if you prefer to stay onboard. You have to consider that Coco Cay is a sea day....but on land!

Well, thank you for the replys, it does sound like there are more activities than I first thought. Didn't know about the straw market and it sounds like there are some restaurants and bars to have a relaxing drink in. I'm sure the beach, further around the island have some beautiful scenery and sea life. We will definately go and check it out then decide how long to stay on land. Thanks again, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived