Whittier on a B2B to Alaska

ndjoe

I have read much of what there is do to in Whittier on a B2B. Thinking about renting a car and driving to Anchorage, with stops along the way, probably at the Wildlife Conservation Center. My question to those of you who have already done the B2B, what was the earliest time you were able to leave the ship, what time can you pick up the rental car in Whittier and what would be the earliest time the tunnel would be open. On the return trip back to Whittier, what time would you suggest being at the tunnel to return the rental car and reboard the ship.

Joe

The Harbor Store opens at 8am, so you can plan on being out the 9am tunnel. If your ship sails at 8pm, you'll need to go through the 6:30pm tunnel at the latest.

When you mentioned The Harbor Store opens at 8am, am I right in assuming that is where the rental car agency is located. So the tunnel is open on the hour going to Anchorage, and on the half hour going to Whittier. Would there be a conflict with the train taking passengers to Anchorage at 9am? Thanks for the information.

The tunnel schedule as well as interesting info. There are videos of the tunnel on youtube. Search on Anton Anderson and you'll find quite a few videos of the short trip.

quihttp://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/schedule.shtml

Suggested stop between Whittier and Anchorage

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Archived