Keeping in touch on the ship

graceb59

We're traveling with 8 of us in 3 rooms. How do you find each other on the ship? I know cell phones would be a very expensive option, does anyone still use those walkie-talkies. They can be very annoying to the people around you though.

Some report success with walkie-talkies...especially the newer, longer range one. With all the steel on the ship, radio communication is difficult. Yes, they can be annoying to those around you especially with people who think that shouting into them improves reception at the other end.

There is a voice mail system in the cabins... many people use that system to keep in touch or to make announcements to several cabins.

Some use sticky notes on the outside of their cabin door.

Some agree on a time to check in with each other at some designated place.

Some just enjoy being on their own for a while.

We set up meeting places/times...usually the coffee shop...

We made sure that everyone knew that this was their vacation, too, so they could do whatever they wanted. We told them each day what our plans were in case anyone wanted to join us, but if they wanted to do something else, that was great. We would meet up at 6ish for cocktails, and then discuss dining plans....If there were reservations to be made, we did that ahead of time....

Have fun!

Walkie talkie's and be aware that they don't work everywhere so parents should not PANIC when the kids don't answer right away. There is no need to SHOUT into them but many do so just like they do with cell phones. Personally, many people these days have VERY POOR cell phone etiquette so walkie talkies really can't be any worse IMHO. Can't tell you the number of times I would be standing in a line at a store with young kids and some chick is going ON and ON about how so-&-so was cheating on so-&-so and that HO should... I've actually interrupted more than one to tell her that her "dirty laundry" was not of ANY interest to my 6 year old child (at the time) and that she was being VERY inconsiderate of others.... Of course, she didn't know the word "inconsiderate" AT ALL so that also goes to the nature of that particular person...

We set up meeting places/times...usually the coffee shop...

We made sure that everyone knew that this was their vacation, too, so they could do whatever they wanted. We told them each day what our plans were in case anyone wanted to join us, but if they wanted to do something else, that was great. We would meet up at 6ish for cocktails, and then discuss dining plans....If there were reservations to be made, we did that ahead of time....

Have fun!

Very good advice. I haven't went as a group on a cruise, but have on land vacations. Too many people feels if you go as a group you have to all do the same things.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that there is voicemail for the rooms, that will help greatly. 37 DAYS left!!

voicemail is a good system, and I will only add that there are phones all around the ship that can be picked up and used to call the cabins and check in.

I suggest for large groups, I know you only have 3 cabins, to print up a cheat sheet (credit card size) with the cabin numbers and have it laminated so people can carry it around.

NCL has a new iphone, android app that is supposed to be capable of phone to phone communication on the ship. I am sailing on the Epic 7/8/2012 and will test it out. Has anyone else tried the app yet?

NCL has a new iphone, android app that is supposed to be capable of phone to phone communication on the ship. I am sailing on the Epic 7/8/2012 and will test it out. Has anyone else tried the app yet?

But, wouldn't this cost money through our phone carrier because we would be running an app?

The new app is only up and working on the EPIC right now...

The new app is only up and working on the EPIC right now...

Even if it were available fleet wide, I would still think this would be costly since the app would require a charge per KB.

On our last cruise we just texted. It's $.50 to send and $.15 to receive. We set up meeting times and places and kept texts to a minimum to find people or to alert somone if there was a change in plans. No chatting via text.

We set up meeting places and times, too but I also purchase a small magnetic whiteboard with a marker and put it on our door. Then people can leave us messages or we can leave them for others.

The kids also like to add their artwork and jokes on them. We have never had a problem with anyone taking it and I have noticed lots of people who passed by our cabin(s) commenting on it being a fun idea and laughing at some of the things on the boards!

I just bought mine for our cruise next month on amazon for about $6 each. I bought some other things so I got free shipping. I think you can get them at any office supply store (think Back to School locker stuff).

We set up meeting places and times, too but I also purchase a small magnetic whiteboard with a marker and put it on our door. Then people can leave us messages or we can leave them for others.

The kids also like to add their artwork and jokes on them. We have never had a problem with anyone taking it and I have noticed lots of people who passed by our cabin(s) commenting on it being a fun idea and laughing at some of the things on the boards!

I just bought mine for our cruise next month on amazon for about $6 each. I bought some other things so I got free shipping. I think you can get them at any office supply store (think Back to School locker stuff).

Good idea if you have a flat door like the Dawn, but I'm not sure how wide that strip is beside the slats like on the Pearl.

IMGP0813.jpg.c74f23322d039edae0ebf79b89446f6b.jpg

But, wouldn't this cost money through our phone carrier because we would be running an app?

Just looked this up at the itunes app store. Looks like hey have figured out a way to connect the phone through the shipboard WIFI to their own phone system. Sounds really cool.

From what I am reading, connecting to and from other app enabled iphones and the ships phone system has no charge. You (your connection) are NOT leaving the ship so there is no internet or cellular at sea charges.

This is horrible news.

We're traveling with 8 of us in 3 rooms. How do you find each other on the ship? I know cell phones would be a very expensive option, does anyone still use those walkie-talkies. They can be very annoying to the people around you though.

Royal Caribbean has a new plan that gets you an iPhone for the duration of the cruise. Cost is $30. Not only can you use the iPhones to keep in touch but you can also look up info (the daily newsletter).

Read about it here.

I checked into the app more and with it you can do pretty much everything you can do on the interactive TV in your room for free. Including make dinner reservation, check the daily newsletter, book an excursion, check your bill etc. For a one time fee of what looks like $8 for the length of the cruise you can call anyone else on the ship that has paid for the app as well as text message them. It looks like it is all run through the ships wifi network as you are supposed to have your phone in airplane mode and turn the wifi on to avoid ship/cell charges. I downloaded the app and will check it out on July 8. Don't know if I will pay for the phone usage unless we meet people on the ship that also have the app.

Archived