Things to do in LaRomana

lgh3154

We took a public bus to Altoona the artist colony and walked around.

Found a tour guide giving a tour had no idea who he was working for so just walked with him for a few minutes and got bored and did the rest on our own.

Nothing special just ok but no reason to take the ships tour here.

If you like all-inclusive resort day passes, I can recommend Dreams. It was $60 pp when we were there in March on the Miracle. It included a huge buffet lunch, all you can drink, and use of their facilities with a swim-up bar. There were 2 very large pools, and the place was very nice. There was a beach area, too, but we stayed by the pool. They greeted us with a glass of champagne in the lobby when we checked in for the day passes. It is about a 30- to 35-minute cab ride from the port, but we were lucky and met another group going there and shared the ride. It was a great day. They take advanced reservations by e-mail, but we found that you didn't really need them. Oh, they gave each person a beach towel, to be returned at the end of your day. I am attaching a thumbnail picture of one of the pools at Dreams Spa and Resort below.

PIC_0526b.jpg.98768b8cf994717033b9fd79bb1fee10.jpg

A few years ago, we were "stuck" in La Romana for two nights when our cruise was altered due to problems at another port of call in our itinerary.

What initially seemed like a curse, turned out to be a great experience to explore the area. First of all, keep in mind that La Romana is NOT a built up, "tourist trap style" destination (with Carlos & Charlie's, Fat Tuesday's, Diamonds International shops, etc) like you see in other parts of the Caribbean. It's a true glimpse of what life in a Caribbean island is about.

Since we had almost 3 full days to explore, we booked a few excursions:

• One day, we took a free shuttle provided by the cruise line to the Altos de Chavon area. It's a very picturesque village with shops, beautiful architecture, and an open air auditorium (where we watched a performance by Dominican dancers).
    HM01.jpg
  • Another day, we took a horseback riding tour along the Casa de Campo resort area. Wonderful, leisurely day enjoying the beautiful surroundings. Horse handlers also doubled as tour guides, filling us with facts and figures about the area.
    HM05.jpg
  • On our final day there, we took a day tour to Catalina Island. This place is very similar to the Half Moon Cay experience. Just off the coast of La Romana, this island has white sand beaches, small shops for souvenirs, and a large pavillion where lunch was served.
    HM09.jpg

I know that La Romana gets some negative reviews, mostly from people that are more comfortable in ports of call that are more "built up" and commercialized, but if you do your research, you'll have a wonderful time. :)

If you like all-inclusive resort day passes, I can recommend Dreams. It was $60 pp when we were there in March on the Miracle. It included a huge buffet lunch, all you can drink, and use of their facilities with a swim-up bar. There were 2 very large pools, and the place was very nice. There was a beach area, too, but we stayed by the pool. They greeted us with a glass of champagne in the lobby when we checked in for the day passes. It is about a 30- to 35-minute cab ride from the port, but we were lucky and met another group going there and shared the ride. It was a great day. They take advanced reservations by e-mail, but we found that you didn't really need them. Oh, they gave each person a beach towel, to be returned at the end of your day. I am attaching a thumbnail picture of one of the pools at Dreams Spa and Resort below.

I second this recommendation. Love this place...haven't done it on a cruise but have stayed there and this is what we would do if on the cruise.

Are you on the October 6th sailing? If so, come over to our roll call. We already have a group going on the Seavis Tour if you are interested. Latinhunny 33, we are loving your review :D.

A few years ago, we were "stuck" in La Romana for two nights when our cruise was altered due to problems at another port of call in our itinerary.

What initially seemed like a curse, turned out to be a great experience to explore the area. First of all, keep in mind that La Romana is NOT a built up, "tourist trap style" destination (with Carlos & Charlie's, Fat Tuesday's, Diamonds International shops, etc) like you see in other parts of the Caribbean. It's a true glimpse of what life in a Caribbean island is about.

• One day, we took a free shuttle provided by the cruise line to the Altos de Chavon area. It's a very picturesque village with shops, beautiful architecture, and an open air auditorium (where we watched a performance by Dominican dancers).
    HM01.jpg
  • Another day, we took a horseback riding tour along the Casa de Campo resort area. Wonderful, leisurely day enjoying the beautiful surroundings. Horse handlers also doubled as tour guides, filling us with facts and figures about the area.
    HM05.jpg
  • On our final day there, we took a day tour to Catalina Island. This place is very similar to the Half Moon Cay experience. Just off the coast of La Romana, this island has white sand beaches, small shops for souvenirs, and a large pavillion where lunch was served.
    HM09.jpg

I know that La Romana gets some negative reviews, mostly from people that are more comfortable in ports of call that are more "built up" and commercialized, but if you do your research, you'll have a wonderful time. :)

thank you for the information. It's really helpful as I am not having an easy time deciding what to do here with my niece. Need to keep her safe and the reviews are not positive. Plus, the excursions seem pricey but if you thought Catalina Island was a nice tour, that might be a good candidate as we dont' have a 'beach day' planned yet.

Just got back from La Romana...

Our friends took a cab to Altos De Chavon and loved it... they also said that Casa De Campos resort was very nice...

the same day we went diving off of Catalina Island and it was amazing...

My parents just took a cab into town and hated it. LOL

There are some REALLY nice things about La Romana, I would go back in a heartbeat... I think some people just didn't find them...

• 1 month later...

I have read negative reviews of this also. That people could not get drinks and felt ripped off. How can this be such a different experience?

I have read negative reviews of this also. That people could not get drinks and felt ripped off. How can this be such a different experience?

Last November, our Miracle roll call had 2 van loads of people go to Dreams Resort for the day. We had so much fun!!! The food was delicious, the beach was beautiful, the drinks were good (and strong), the pool was so nice. We will definitely go back there, if we have La Romana as a port again.

Some of the reviews about la romana are about safety being a big issue. My mother in law is scared to get off the ship here. We were thinking of doing either Dreams day passes or the Seavis tour. Anyone have any recent experience with violence there?

Thanks!

Shawn

This last January we went on the all-day Santo Domingo Deluxe tour and we really enjoyed it. Went into the oldest Christian church in the new world. Went to the C. Columbus memorial and also went thru the original gov's mansion. Had a very nice lunch buffet as part of the deal in a covered courtyard. There is a walking tour of the old part of downtown too.

The bus ride was actually nice too even though it was long. Got to see a larger area in a new bus.

Kev

HM01.jpg
    HM05.jpg
    HM09.jpg

Thanks for the photos! MANY years ago I spent 16 days at Casa de Campo on my honeymoon.....I am since divorced but that had nothing to do with La Romana ;)

HM01.jpg
    HM05.jpg
    HM09.jpg

Your Catalina Island photo is amazing!

Archived