achieve that,” she said.

“Importantly, South Australia is attracting not

only more cruise ship arrivals, but also visits from

much larger ships carrying more passengers.”

Highlights in 2012/13 are set to include

Royal Caribbean’s megaliner Voyager of the

Seas visiting Adelaide twice, and Holland

America’s Volendam and Classic International

Cruises’ MV Athena visiting all four SA ports.

http://archive.traveldaily.com.au/tdarchive/CW/2012/Jun12/cw050612.pdf

Thied

That's good news. I dont know how dinkum the SA Govt are regarding tourism as they have drastically cut the SA Tourism Office and employed a part time CEO.

They will also need to tidy up the Outer Harbour cruise ship facilities as it is a disgrace.

It is used as a storage area for imported motor vehicles and there is no public access to anywhere near the passenger terminal.

John

Thied

That's good news. I dont know how dinkum the SA Govt are regarding tourism as they have drastically cut the SA Tourism Office and employed a part time CEO.

They will also need to tidy up the Outer Harbour cruise ship facilities as it is a disgrace.

It is used as a storage area for imported motor vehicles and there is no public access to anywhere near the passenger terminal.

John

We were down your way in March / April (34 day circumnavigation of AU and 3 ports in NZ) and had a wonderful time. I noticed that quite a few of the ports we stopped at all over Australia were commercial ports - which I understood. Not every place can have port facilities built just for cruise ships like the islands in the Caribbean, etc.

Adelaide gave us a great welcome - singing group for entertainment on sail-in and lots of folks along the shore and breakwater waving us off when we left. We went on a tour that went to Mount Lofty lighthouse and Cleland Wildlife Park and we really enjoyed our visit. I didn't notice the other transportation available since we had a tour but most of the ports would have buses and vans available for trips into town if you weren't on an organized tour.

Sparky-elpaso

So glad you liked our City. If it wasnt for the volunteers that welcome the cruise ships to our port not much would happen. The Adelaide people are fascinated by the large cruise ships that come here and as you saw, they really turn out to welcome and farewell the ships but they cannot get within cooee of the actual cruise terminal where the ships tie up.

When the State Government built the terminal 15 to 20 years ago there was great posturing and trumpeting that came from them extolling the virtues and advantages of having our own purpose built cruise ship terminal. In those days that is exactly what it was with full public access to the terminal. Not many ships came immediately so they turned the immediate area into a storage place for imported motor vehicles and leased the land to the import agents. Now that the cruise ship visits have increased dramatically since those days the imported cars are still there, public access is non existent and as you saw, the enthusiastic crowds have to go out on the breakwater and other hard to reach vantage points to get a view of the ships arriving and leaving. I know we have to have security in these days of madness around the ships but what is going on at Outer Harbour is just over the top and and overkill.

John

Sparky-elpaso

So glad you liked our City. If it wasnt for the volunteers that welcome the cruise ships to our port not much would happen. The Adelaide people are fascinated by the large cruise ships that come here and as you saw, they really turn out to welcome and farewell the ships but they cannot get within cooee of the actual cruise terminal where the ships tie up.

When the State Government built the terminal 15 to 20 years ago there was great posturing and trumpeting that came from them extolling the virtues and advantages of having our own purpose built cruise ship terminal. In those days that is exactly what it was with full public access to the terminal. Not many ships came immediately so they turned the immediate area into a storage place for imported motor vehicles and leased the land to the import agents. Now that the cruise ship visits have increased dramatically since those days the imported cars are still there, public access is non existent and as you saw, the enthusiastic crowds have to go out on the breakwater and other hard to reach vantage points to get a view of the ships arriving and leaving. I know we have to have security in these days of madness around the ships but what is going on at Outer Harbour is just over the top and and overkill.

John

I agree with all your comments John. I wonder with more ships coming that the cruise terminal will become more profitable for them to move the imported cars somewhere else.

Australia can be an amazing place in which to take a cruise. There are many things that you can do which will help you make the most out of your Australian cruise. The following are some tips for taking cruises in Australia.

Safety tips

First you will wish to chase some accepted canoeing assurance tips. You will wish to accomplish abiding that you pay absorption to the assurance instructions and emergency procedures instructions. If something were to happen, there may not be time to echo these, and you will wish to accomplish abiding that you apperceive what to do in the absurd accident of an emergency. Next, be accurate about what you accompany on the ship. It may be best to absolute the bulk of backing you accompany on so that you do not accept to anguish about accident anything. Another affair you may wish to accede is cruise insurance. This is usually offered by both cruise companies and by third affair companies and can save you a abundant accord of money in the case of an abrupt complication. Also, be abiding that you chase all of the assurance rules while on the ships and on the excursions. Even if they do not assume to accept a point, they are there for a reason, and you do not wish to accept a problem.

Learn about the excursions and do the ones that absorption you

Most Australian cruises action a advanced array of agitative excursions. You can see alien animals in admirable accustomed lands. Apprentice about the excursions in beforehand to see what you ability be absorbed in (and to accomplish abiding that you are physically able to do them). They can be big-ticket and the amount will add up if you do a lot, so you may wish to adjudge what you feel that you can afford. In accession to acquirements about the excursions, you may wish to apprentice about the country itself, as able-bodied as the animals and added accustomed phenomenon. For instance, if you apprentice about the animals you are acceptable to see, that ability accomplish it added absorbing to you.

“You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.”

https://www.facebook.com/salliehayden

http://www.travelaboutaustralia.com.au/category/australia-tourism

John,

I loved Adelaide. With its wide streets and beautiful buildings, it is a very gracious city. Stores were closed due to Good Friday but we could buy chocolate - a chocolate bilby. :-)

I was very impressed with all the volunteers who helped us in Oz and NZ ports, an amazing show of support for tourists.

To tell you the truth, I only have a vague memory of the Adelaide port because we immediaely took one of the free shuttle busses to Glenelg. We still have the bag with the wine glasses and caps we were given there. What a great gift! From Glenelg we took the tram into Adelaide and back later in the day.

By then, the wind had picked up and we decided to take the free shuttle back to the ship. The man who was organizing the bus embarkation was a model of efficiency. A wonderful guy!

The Oz ports gave us a wonderful experience of hospitality and Adelaide stood out! Thanks heaps!

Floridana

I'm glad you enjoyed Adelaide. Although we are doing it well at present we can do it better by cleaning up our act at the passenger terminal. I would say that the imported car agents have a contract from the Government to lease the land immediately surrounding the cruise terminal and until we get rid of this arrangement it will be a disgrace down there. It is more inconvenient for us Adelaidians who cannot get anywhere near the ships or the terminal to sightsee.

John

John - Just wanted to jump in here to tell you how much my hubby and I enjoyed our many visits to Adelaide while we lived in Alice Springs for three years. This was waaaaaaay back in the olden days--1977-1980. We loved living in the Alice, but it lacked a lot back then:D When we got to Adelaide we always went to McDonalds at least once, saw as many movies as we could squeeze in, did some good shopping--couldn't do any of those things in Alice. Had a wonderful 2-week holiday in Glenelg one time, drove (and tasted!) the Barossa Valley, took pictures with the 'roos and emus at Cleland Park. Fun, fun, fun! We probably wouldn't recognize it now though, would we? Wonderful memories!

Oh yeah--you Aussies are a fun lot, too! Lots of really good parties and bush trips during those years.

Deb

We got to know quite a few US Servicemen and women from Woomera back in those days when we were living in Whyalla. We also had fun party times at Woomera and you lot certainly knew how to party and how to enjoy yourselves. I often used to wonder how you all could live in the bush such as Alice Springs and Woomera but from my own experiences, the further out in the bush and the more remote you lived the better times you had. The local people are fabulous and you make lifelong friends with those people.

Even if I do say so myself, OZ is a good part of the world to live in.

John

Archived