Value Added Tax on cruises embarking in Barcelona

Trobrah

Nope.

See attached for the full scoop.

I was confused by your answer, I thought you meant "nope it doesn't mean that" but you meant "nope you don't have to pay it" :)

Good to know, since it doesn't stay in the EU, it won't be charged.

We board the Epic in Rome, although I believe the Cruise may "officially" start in Barcelona. Any idea if we are subject to the Spain VAT since our portion of the cruise did not originate in Spain? If not Spain, would we be subject to Italy VAT?

We board the Epic in Rome, although I believe the Cruise may "officially" start in Barcelona. Any idea if we are subject to the Spain VAT since our portion of the cruise did not originate in Spain? If not Spain, would we be subject to Italy VAT?

It would be the cruise start point which determines the VAT status - not the passenger's start point. They (the Eurocrats) have this VAT thing pretty much tied down tight.:(

It would be the cruise start point which determines the VAT status - not the passenger's start point. They (the Eurocrats) have this VAT thing pretty much tied down tight.:(

I disagree - the Epic is running a loop where passengers can get on at Bacelona or Rome - there is no "official" start point so it's determined by what city passengers embark at. The Barcelona ones will be subject to the Spanish VAT for the whole cruise, the the Rome ones should only be while Epic is in Spanish waters and docked in Barcelona.

I disagree - the Epic is running a loop where passengers can get on at Bacelona or Rome - there is no "official" start point so it's determined by what city passengers embark at. The Barcelona ones will be subject to the Spanish VAT for the whole cruise, the the Rome ones should only be while Epic is in Spanish waters and docked in Barcelona.

Does the itinerary involve a non-EU port? If it does it becomes academic - if it is closed loop EU then who knows? :confused: NCL may have an answer?

It is extremely unlikely that they will charge different amounts (incl or ex-VAT) to different passengers for the same purchase at the same time in the same place.

Actually, depending on dates, ncl.com right now shows the following on the same loop:

• Roundtrip from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Roundtrip from Barcelona, Spain
  • Roundtrip from Provence (Marseille), France

That's assuming you ignore the 3, 4, and 6 day cruises that don't involve cruisers not completing the loop.

I'm curious about this too as I was debating between Barcelona and Rome.

Does the itinerary involve a non-EU port? If it does it becomes academic - if it is closed loop EU then who knows? :confused: NCL may have an answer?

Ports of call are listed as follows:

• Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy
  • Provence (Marseille), France
  • Palma, Majorca, Spain or Cannes, France (depending on cruise dates)
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Naples, Italy

It is interesting, and as SteveH25 alludes to, it's hard to see NCL charging different rates for different passengers for purchasing the same thing at the same time - but perhaps their billing system is that sophisticated that it can handle - especially since everything gets charged to the room card. Perhaps someone who has recently done the Rome-Rome Epic cruise can weigh in on how their onboard purchases were handled.

Does that mean then you are charged the 15% gratuity as well as 18% VAT tax. So essentially you are being charged 33% on all drinks when your cruise starts in Barcelona?

This is what I found online, so not sure if it's 100% accurate, but I never heard of any of the Rome embarkation passengers paying the Italian VAT for the entire cruise.

"VAT is payable at the departure countries rate, so if you leave from Italy you pay their VAT. However, the cruise companies were able to successfully negotiate with all countries, except Spain, that the VAT will only apply within 12 miles of the Port, after that the VAT ceases until you get to another port etc."

For that reason, I'd recommend embarking in Rome to avoid that extra VAT surcharge. I have no doubt that NCL is sophisticated enough to charge you the correct VAT based on your embarkation point, since all purchases are put on your room keycard.

Keep in mind you can pre purchase excursions and dining, so those are not subject to the Spanish VAT because you bought them before getting on the ship, but any onboard credit you have can't be applied to prepurchased items. Hope that helps!

This is what I found online, so not sure if it's 100% accurate, but I never heard of any of the Rome embarkation passengers paying the Italian VAT for the entire cruise.

"VAT is payable at the departure countries rate, so if you leave from Italy you pay their VAT. However, the cruise companies were able to successfully negotiate with all countries, except Spain, that the VAT will only apply within 12 miles of the Port, after that the VAT ceases until you get to another port etc."

For that reason, I'd recommend embarking in Rome to avoid that extra VAT surcharge. I have no doubt that NCL is sophisticated enough to charge you the correct VAT based on your embarkation point, since all purchases are put on your room keycard.

Keep in mind you can pre purchase excursions and dining, so those are not subject to the Spanish VAT because you bought them before getting on the ship, but any onboard credit you have can't be applied to prepurchased items. Hope that helps!

Thanks Attila , I had asked the same question on an earlier post and it was given info on just Spain's VAT issues. Your explanation seems to make more sense to me. I just found it strange that you would get charged VAT while "at sea" the same as being ashore.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks! I knew about the OBC/excursion thing. We've been looking at Rome and Barcelona for our Europe cruise. Barcelona was much cheaper cruise fare wise. Not sure why. Although, prices look the same today when I just looked.

I have family on the Isle of Capri though, so was looking at Rome as it would make pre/post cruise visits easier.

I am booked from Rome on the Epic. Our air fare was much less to Rome than to Barcelona and our cabin was less as well. We are also flying into Rome 3 days early and doing all our touring too.

We specifically wanted a cruise out of Rome as we felt there was much more to see there than Barcelona. And now it appears perhaps the VAT will be less for us too.

Thanks! I knew about the OBC/excursion thing. We've been looking at Rome and Barcelona for our Europe cruise. Barcelona was much cheaper cruise fare wise. Not sure why. Although, prices look the same today when I just looked.

I have family on the Isle of Capri though, so was looking at Rome as it would make pre/post cruise visits easier.

Okay, I want to MAKE SURE I understand this.

We'll be taking the Epic transatlantic from Barcelona. Our only stops are Funchal, Portugal and St. Thomas.

From all I've read we will not be charged VAT. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Kathy

Okay, I want to MAKE SURE I understand this.

We'll be taking the Epic transatlantic from Barcelona. Our only stops are Funchal, Portugal and St. Thomas.

From all I've read we will not be charged VAT. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Kathy

Unless the USA has joined the EU then no VAT. :rolleyes:

Archived