Value Added Tax on cruises embarking in Barcelona

Trobrah

I am booked from Rome on the Epic. Our air fare was much less to Rome than to Barcelona and our cabin was less as well. We are also flying into Rome 3 days early and doing all our touring too.

We specifically wanted a cruise out of Rome as we felt there was much more to see there than Barcelona. And now it appears perhaps the VAT will be less for us too.

I did the EPIC last week out of Rome. First off NCL IT systems are not sophisticated enough to handle tax for multiple departure points. For the duty free on board they charge the VAT and then discount the price for the equivalent value. End result is it cancels out the VAT.

Not all of their IT system were setup assuming these multiple departure points. When I arrived in my state room and look at the excursion tickets I noticed I was missing the one for Pompeii (after Barcelona). Went down to the service desk and they said that due to IT limitations they could not print the excursion tickets for excursions after Barcelona and the TV booking engine could not book post Barcelona events until after arriving in Barcelona. Not a big deal. They were promptly delivered before we left Barcelona. The post Barcelona events showed up as Day 8, 9, 10 of the TV booking system.

I'm lost here.

We, in the EU pay VAT.at the rate applied in whatever country we are in. It's the norm

I was always under the impression that "duty free" kicked in when a ship entered international waters, which I think is 12 miles from land?

As I say, confusing.

I tried to calculate that for my med epic cruise starting from barcelona.

So the soda package would be with 8% additional tax 54.36USD instead of 50.31USD.

But what about the daily service charge and future cruise reward? Do I have to pay 18% VAT on that as well or does NCL keep the prices of that stable?

We're doing eastbound Transatlantic in '13 and then a 4 day add-on r/t Barcelona.

The Trans won't have the VAT, but once the ship pulls into Barcelona, it's subject to the tax.

I guess we'll be doing our on-board purchases before we get to Spain.

I tried to calculate that for my med epic cruise starting from barcelona.

So the soda package would be with 8% additional tax 54.36USD instead of 50.31USD.

But what about the daily service charge and future cruise reward? Do I have to pay 18% VAT on that as well or does NCL keep the prices of that stable?

DSC does not attract VAT, neither does the FCC.

I'm lost here.

We, in the EU pay VAT.at the rate applied in whatever country we are in. It's the norm

I was always under the impression that "duty free" kicked in when a ship entered international waters, which I think is 12 miles from land?

As I say, confusing.

As you can see from my attachment in post 7 if the cruise only calls at EU ports it is deemed as within the EU and therefore attracts VAT at the originating countries rate and regime. This why many itineraries call at Gibraltar, The Canaries, Turkey and the like so that they make landfall outside the EU VAT zone and are therefore VAT-free when outside territorial waters.

So, what VAT did you pay being that you started in Rome? 8%? none? For example, how ere your drinks taxed?

Yes, the Spanish VAT was added on to the bar service. Did not use the spa.

The duty free was odd, in that on the receipt I was charged VAT (on top of the US price) then a discount was applied for the same amount as the VAT. I was told if I purchased more than a certain amount could do the paper work and get it back at the airport when leaving Rome.

I was not charged a separate VAT on the excursions (purchased two before boarding and one on board), or service charge. (The VAT may be hidden in the price, not certain).

The duty free was odd, in that on the receipt I was charged VAT (on top of the US price) then a discount was applied for the same amount as the VAT. I was told if I purchased more than a certain amount could do the paper work and get it back at the airport when leaving Rome.

I was not charged a separate VAT on the excursions (purchased two before boarding and one on board), or service charge. (The VAT may be hidden in the price, not certain).

Now I'm totally confused!! :confused: ( That happens a lot so hey!!:o )

I just read SteveH2508's attachment in post no 7........and I thought I read that Spanish VAT was charged on * most products sold onboard with the exception of bar sales which are taxed at 8% *

Did I read that wrong?

As you can see from my attachment in post 7 if the cruise only calls at EU ports it is deemed as within the EU and therefore attracts VAT at the originating countries rate and regime. This why many itineraries call at Gibraltar, The Canaries, Turkey and the like so that they make landfall outside the EU VAT zone and are therefore VAT-free when outside territorial waters.

Now I understand.

Glad you agree with me.

Thank you for clarifying.

Now I'm totally confused!! :confused: ( That happens a lot so hey!!:o )

I just read SteveH2508's attachment in post no 7........and I thought I read that Spanish VAT was charged on * most products sold onboard with the exception of bar sales which are taxed at 8% *

Did I read that wrong?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Spanish VAT on a bar tab is 8%.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Spanish VAT on a bar tab is 8%.

You are correct (I've just checked a receipt to confirm it).

I found a handy way to deal with the Spanish VAT issue, which I found out about after booking from Barcelona.

Basically, I estimated how much I was likely to spend on drinks etc on the ship, calculated what 8% was, added a bit, pretended that I'd spent that much more on the fare and then forgot about it. It worked well for me.

Last time I looked, at least on UK prices, the cost to sail from Rome was much more than you would pay in VAT, even if NCL were able to charge the different rate anyway. It really looks to me like one that you have to just write off before you sail. Certainly, from reports here, it looks risky to pay any more to sail from Rome to try to save the VAT, as is seems that you may not save it anyway.

Of course, if you are on a tight budget then you may have to make some economies, but for most people it is probably quite manageable.

Archived