2013 Brochure

Silver Spectre

Cruise line brochures cannot be inexpensive to produce and mail. In the days of the internet, is it really necessary to produce the lavish, heavy brochures? Wouldn't it be better to put that marketing money into the onboard experience?

Cruise line brochures cannot be inexpensive to produce and mail. In the days of the internet, is it really necessary to produce the lavish, heavy brochures? Wouldn't it be better to put that marketing money into the onboard experience?

I like to be able to sit down and page through the book. I find it easier to flip pages back and forth, than find a specific cruise web page. As well, one page in the book has pricing, and itinerary for several cruises, rather than just pricing or just itinerary. Our book is well marked up with sticky notes.

On the other hand, I could do without the two copies of every other mailing SS sends out partly because they are always covering 'sales' that have already been highlighted in emails to me (and I get two emails each time, one from Lina Shuster, the other from Silversea Cruises - plus my dh gets them too.)

So I vote for the annual book but no interim physical mailings, just emails.

Has anyone seen the full 2013 brochure yet, or have any idea when it will appear.
I haven't seen anything related to 2013 yet.

...is it really necessary to produce the lavish, heavy brochures? Wouldn't it be better to put that marketing money into the onboard experience?
From my perspective, the lavishness of the brochure reflects the luxuriousness of the brand. Failure to produce the brochure could allow questions to form in the mind of their target market wondering what else the line may also be skimping on.

I just phoned Silversea in Ft. Lauderdale. They expect the annual brochure to be ready at the end of July. That is many months later than previous release dates of January-March. No real reason was given for the delay.

I, too, find the annual brochure tremendously helpful, and a constant pictorial reminder of why we like to sail on Silversea. I agree with Canadian Kate that it's much easier to flip through the book for comparisons than do the back-and-forth exercise on the website. Much more user friendly. And easier for maintaining references over the long term.

Of course, we still need to check the web for the latest prices and offers. The 2012 brochure contained a separate rate enclosure, sensible in these days of fluid pricing.

A SS rep I spoke to did not know the reason for the delay but guessed that it might be partly due to finalizing the new deck plans of the Silver Cloud due to the major refurb coming in October. Perhaps the plans will show which suites retain bath tubs after most are changed to shower only, as well as the changes to fitness center and observation lounge. Only speculation.

I just phoned Silversea in Ft. Lauderdale. They expect the annual brochure to be ready at the end of July. That is many months later than previous release dates of January-March. No real reason was given for the delay.

I, too, find the annual brochure tremendously helpful, and a constant pictorial reminder of why we like to sail on Silversea. I agree with Canadian Kate that it's much easier to flip through the book for comparisons than do the back-and-forth exercise on the website. Much more user friendly. And easier for maintaining references over the long term.

Of course, we still need to check the web for the latest prices and offers. The 2012 brochure contained a separate rate enclosure, sensible in these days of fluid pricing.

Thanks for the update, and yes, I prefer the feel of paper too. Its still easier to bookmark a brochure than any other electronic equivalent.

Archived