Random thoughts from May 26 Jewel cruise

jasbo49

I wrote a review for the review section after our May 26 cruise to Alaska aboard the Jewel, but keep thinking of little things I didn't include for one reason or another. Here goes:

- The coffee wasn't bad at all. My recollection from past cruises, mostly Carnival and a Princess thrown in, was of weak coffee.

- The buffet staff almost pounces on any table that opens up. I saw someone on this forum complaining about tables remaining cluttered on another NCL cruise. My impression was that the staff was all over the table cleaning.

- There was no comedian. I've never been on a cruise without at least one comic. The magician, JP, was billed as a magician/comedian, and he was pretty funny, but it's not the same thing.

- Others have mentioned it but when the buffet tables are all full (as they often are; you're in Alaska and it's frequently not that nice outside) go to Mama's Kitchen, the Italian dinner place. They open the seating to buffet overflow at breakfast and lunch, and it's a really relaxing place to eat, a lot less crowded.

- The odd W-shaped lounges at the front of the Spinnaker Lounge are a trippy place to relax and read a book or talk to a friend when it's not too crowded. Super comfortable.

- I appreciated the fact that any steward who saw us in the hall had a pleasant greeting for us, not just our own steward.

If anyone else from our cruise or another on the Jewel wants to add their random thoughts, be my guest. Make it kind of a group review if you want.

Jim

We sailed on Jewel in April and had a great cruise.

- I agree there were always plenty clean tables. No problems what so ever.

- Heated pools were a nice surprise

- Great larger scale entertainment (circus was great!) and smaller scale entertainment - Vibes, Fabrizio and so on. I believe NCL is a leader in this department even though previously I though Princess was #1.

- Small cabins with nicely sized showers

- Blue Lagoon is a great anytime dining venue

- Even though we don't have young kids ... Nickelodeon is a wonderful program for youngsters.

- Loved, loved, loved open cafe in the aft. Much better than kids area on Dawn.

Overall NCL has made a great impression on us during the last 2 cruises (Jewel and Dawn)

Oh, another thing people have mentioned that I'd point out too: For cheapskates like me, remember you can order a house charonnay or merlot with dinner that is quite a bit cheaper than anything on the wine list. The first night I ordered what I think was the cheapeast red on the wine list. It was some kind of cab for $7.25, but for some reason they billed me $7.75 and of course with their auto-gratuity it was nearly $9. Since it was the first night, I didn't want to make an issue over a 50 cent overcharge and let it slide.

The second night, I remembered reading on this forum that there's a house red and white. I ordered the house merlot and it was $5.25, just over $6 with the gratuity. For me the difference between $6 and $9 is huge when you're going to have a glass every night at dinner.

Jim

Archived