Not Sure If This Bone Has Been Chewed

mariner

Friends of ours are sailing to Bermuda this weekend on Celebrity.

They could pay upfront for booze and wine. $800 a couple. All inclusivefor bars and wine with dinner.

Sounds reasonable.

Should HAL offer this?

Not sure what the per diem is these days on HAL for those who do drink. I'm guesing $800 for 7 days is pretty cheap.

I think that the $800 is just for the booze. We've looked at the available packages and they are pretty expensive unless you are a big drinker. What what I can tell "X" cruise pricing is cheaper than HAL, but they really whack you for "extras" and most EVERYTHING is an extra.

I think that the $800 is just for the booze. We've looked at the available packages and they are pretty expensive unless you are a big drinker. What what I can tell "X" cruise pricing is cheaper than HAL, but they really whack you for "extras" and most EVERYTHING is an extra.

IIRC the Celebrity booze package covers not only booze up to a certain price point but specialty coffees, juices, sodas, bottled water, sparkling water etc...

They could pay upfront for booze and wine. $800 a couple. All inclusivefor bars and wine with dinner.

Sounds reasonable.

Should HAL offer this?

$400 pp? They'd carry me off in a body bag if I tried to drink that.

If you break that down, figure $8 per cocktail, you'd be drinking 7 drinks per person per day every day of a 7 day cruise just to ~break even. And if you're going for the happy hours and DOD, you'd have to drink even more just to get your money's worth. How much more would a person have to drink to make this a deal? I suppose if you drink really expensive wine, it might pay off.

Sounds reasonable.

Should HAL offer this?

I suppose it's reasonable for those who drink expensive champagne/wine...if the $800 dollar upfront payment means they could order any bottle on the wine list:confused: Is that the case?

But what I find ironic is that Celebrity, which seems to pride itself on limited cigarette smoking areas would make drinking so affordable.

Just my personal opinion, but HAL'S policy regarding both drinking and smoking seems reasonable to me. (I've only taken one cruise on HAL, and we enjoyed it so much that we booked another cruise in August.)

Please forgive me for being cynical, but I suspect that some might feel that since they paid $800 for unlimited drinks, they will "get their money's worth". And for that reason, in answer to your question, NO, I hope HAL doesn't adopt Celebrity's policy.

Regards,

Salacia

That's more booze then I drink in a year. After my last cruise on Celebrity that ended a week ago they better throw the cruise in with that to get me to bite.

LOL

I take it your voyage was not all you had hoped it would be? Hope your next voyage is better :) Regards, -S

I've done the Celebrity all-you-can-drink and lived to tell the tale. As Baychilla pointed out, that also covers bottled water, juice, soda, and specialty coffees. In my case I drank San Pellegrino at every meal and took it to my cabin as well. It was a Panama Canal cruise, and all the water we took off the ship for excursions in hot places with dodgy water was included. Fancy coffee in the morning whenever I felt like it. And I also drank alcohol, maybe a little more than usual, but not a lot. What I really liked was not having to think oh, do I really want an $11 martini, do I really want a $14 cognac after dinner? I liked having the sommelier give me small pours of wine paired to my courses, so that I could have several wines at dinner, something I never would have done if I'd been paying for a whole glass each course (plus I wouldn't have been able to drink full glasses). Instead I had what I wanted, whenever I wanted it, without having to cringe at the onboard liquor prices.

Did I drink as much as I spent? I don't actually know. But I know that if HAL offered that arrangement I'd definitely go for it, the ease and carefree factor were enough to convince me.

LOL

I take it your voyage was not all you had hoped it would be? Hope your next voyage is better :) Regards, -S

You got it. I'll stick with HAL in the near future. I wondered if it was just me but I "think" I tend to be fairly realistic. Even diehard Celebrity people agreed it wasn't their finest hour. Live and learn.

It is a great option and makes the cruise vacation more all-inclusive.

They have many options, soda package, water package, non-alcoholic, premium non-alcoholic, standard drink (includes alcohol), premium drink (everything up until $12.00 drinks and then you just pay the difference. This includes bottled water you can take off the ship, take to your room etc. It is based on the number of days of the cruise and can be purchased up until the last two days on a per diem basis.

I wish HAL would do something like this but doubt they ever will. You don't have to sign for anything.

But on HAL you have to pay separate for alcohol and that is an option on Celebrity too.

Let's see -- juices you can get free on HAL -- ask for them any time of the day in the Lido.

Bottled water and sparkling water -- the water from the tap is just as good.

I don't drink coffee and DH drinks one maybe two cups of coffee a day -- so not worth it.

We don't haul bottles of wine onto the ships -- we are not big wine drinkers.

And we are not big alcohol drinkers overall.

So for us -- that $800 price -- not a good deal.

Archived