Temps at sea October and November

mcrimmins

My wife and I are looking at round trip LA to Hawaii on Princess in a range of early Oct to late November.....I assume the temps around LA will be colder the later we go, but how much colder. I suspect a few days out things would be about the same.

The last time I made this inbound trip was on the USS Truxton at the end of the war in 1973. We pulled into Long Beach on Christmas Eve but my memory is foggy.

Thx. Mike in Montana.

My wife and I are looking at round trip LA to Hawaii on Princess in a range of early Oct to late November.....I assume the temps around LA will be colder the later we go, but how much colder. I suspect a few days out things would be about the same.

The last time I made this inbound trip was on the USS Truxton at the end of the war in 1973. We pulled into Long Beach on Christmas Eve but my memory is foggy.

Thx. Mike in Montana.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Mike in Montana!

We sailed on the Golden's 14 day cruise in late November 2010 & looking at the 'Log of the Cruise' the temperatures gradually increased as we approached the Islands. The 1st day after LA was 57 degrees up to 78 degrees the day before arriving in Hilo with the early December return ranging between 72 & 68 degrees. The temperatures should be 'higher' in early October however the prices may also be 'higher'. ;)

I was on the USS Midway in '71 & '72 and spent many cold nights launching aircraft off the cats during the winter along the CA coast. That wasn't a problem while on Yankee Station where we could have used some cool weather. :eek:

Thx. Mike in Montana.

Because of the currents off the coast of California, it will typically be cool, sweater or jacket weather on deck the first two days, but nice for the last two days of the crossing to Hawaii and the reverse on the way back. Average LA temps are 81 Hi/61 Lo on October 1 dropping to 69 Hi/49 Lo on November 30. Once you leave port it will turn cool fairly quickly however.

Because of the currents off the coast of California, it will typically be cool, sweater or jacket weather on deck the first two days, but nice for the last two days of the crossing to Hawaii and the reverse on the way back. Average LA temps are 81 Hi/61 Lo on October 1 dropping to 69 Hi/49 Lo on November 30. Once you leave port it will turn cool fairly quickly however.
It's called the California Current and runs from the Gulf of Alaska along the west coast to about Baja California. The water just off southern CA is pretty much always cold, even in the summer which is why the beach communities can be 10-20degrees cooler than LA, 20-40 degrees cooler than inland. It takes a day or two to sail through the current to the warmer water in the Pacific. As said, it'll warm up further the closer you get to HI. Returning to LA, it'll get cooler. A light-to-medium weight sweater would be advisable.

Archived