RCL/Celebrity and Princess Shares

Oriana1

My husband found on the internet this morning an article that was dated 2009 that shareholders of RCL/Celebrity and Princess could get onboard credits up to $250.00 if they held as few as 100 shares in the company. I was wondering if anyone knows about this and if it is still available?

Kim

One major difference in the two programs is that Carnival allows far more combining within its OBC programs than RCCL, i.e. you can only get one OBC offer from RCCL and cannot combine it with any other RCCL OBC offer. Thus if you book a cruise while on an X cruise, you will get OBC that you cannot combine with the stockholder benefit. Book on board Princess and you get OBC that will combine with the stockholder's benefit.

One major difference in the two programs is that Carnival allows far more combining within its OBC programs than RCCL, i.e. you can only get one OBC offer from RCCL and cannot combine it with any other RCCL OBC offer. Thus if you book a cruise while on an X cruise, you will get OBC that you cannot combine with the stockholder benefit. Book on board Princess and you get OBC that will combine with the stockholder's benefit.

Just remember things do change, a few years ago it was just the opposite.

I have a few questions

How much are the 100 shares in Princess or RCCL?

Does it make it worthwhile in the first cruise or does it take many?

As of close on Friday, Royal Caribbean Cruise LTD. (Ticker: RCL) was $24.24 (X 100 shares = $2424 + commission). You don't buy stocks for a cruise discount. You buy stocks to invest. If you truly believe in the company's success, then I would recommend buying stock.

As of close on Friday, Royal Caribbean Cruise LTD. (Ticker: RCL) was $24.24 (X 100 shares = $2424 + commission). You don't buy stocks for a cruise discount. You buy stocks to invest. If you truly believe in the company's success, then I would recommend buying stock.

Thanks, of course you would only buy shares if you thought the returns (growth and dividends) were worth it. However, if it only takes 10 cruises to get the equivilent of your outlay in OBC it gives an added incentive.:D

Mic: you can use the benefit on each of your cruises, but this is a benefit that has to be renewed each year by the company. They have changed these programs and could fail to renew. Also the stock price for each company (RCCL and CCL) is down from historic highs. Some people purchased RCCL at over $40 within the last 18 months and have not recovered from that price. You also receive far less OBC for shorter cruises and if you book while on board you may get better or equal offers that cannot combine. If you cruise outside of the RCCL family, you get no OBC so to work the system you also need to purchase 100 shares of CCL for another $3100. All in all, you should treat stock purchases as investments and not be swayed by possible benefits.

Mic: you can use the benefit on each of your cruises, but this is a benefit that has to be renewed each year by the company. They have changed these programs and could fail to renew. Also the stock price for each company (RCCL and CCL) is down from historic highs. Some people purchased RCCL at over $40 within the last 18 months and have not recovered from that price. You also receive far less OBC for shorter cruises and if you book while on board you may get better or equal offers that cannot combine. If you cruise outside of the RCCL family, you get no OBC so to work the system you also need to purchase 100 shares of CCL for another $3100. All in all, you should treat stock purchases as investments and not be swayed by possible benefits.

All so true, and with those prices and can do another cruise or two anyway. :D

Archived