Bringing your own wine onboard

bobnjeff

Hal lets Us bring wine on board to drink in our cabin. But some people think its ok to break the rules. Rules are for other people not them. I guess none of them ever go out to eat and look at the prices of wine. It will just be a matter of time before HAl stops all the wine you can bring on board because people refuse to leave the wine in thier cabin. Enjoy it now it will not be long before they stop it

Mary

Hal lets Us bring wine on board to drink in our cabin. But some people think its ok to break the rules. Rules are for other people not them. I guess none of them ever go out to eat and look at the prices of wine. It will just be a matter of time before HAl stops all the wine you can bring on board because people refuse to leave the wine in thier cabin. Enjoy it now it will not be long before they stop it

Mary

Honestly' date=' how do they know who drinks it outside of their cabin & who doesn't?[/font']

I though we were talking about wine. Anything else has to be smuggled anyway on all the cruise lines I know about and that's not going to change anytime soon.

If I take a vacation, and it involves

"Smuggling" in any way shape or form

Then I'll have to rethink my vacation plans or my lifestyle.

Honestly, how do they know who drinks it outside of their cabin & who doesn't?

by the glasses you have = the ones in the bars and the MDR are significantly different than the ones you have in your room.

Trust me - everyone knows - including the wine steward:eek:

Banana boat? Is that part of the Dole fleet?

For northerly TATL, Fos sur Mer in France (east side of the Rhone at its mouth) to New York (and maybe Boston of Philadelphia). CMA CGM serves a French wine included in the price of meals at lunch and dinner on the Coral (below) and Jamaica which ply this route. It's a French ship you know. ;) And what else you want is purchasable and drinkable on board at duty free prices (this goes for all the container liners). The German line (Hamburg Sued?) sailing the Hanjin Palermo sails for Montreal from the same port in France. Both run EUR 100 PPPD either single or double occupancy, and for an outside verandah cabin at leas 2x bigger than your standard cruise ship cabin.

There's a lot more freighter routes out there where you can sail as a passenger. I'm sure that there's one that calls in MIA if not FLL (they have a 80 day route, west coast N. Am. <=> Asia ==> Europe <== east coast N. America as well as route through the Panama canal).

Illustration.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=816&vpy=348&hovh=118&hovw=253&tx=140&ty=68&sig=116045413161673400879&ei=UQHVT-bKCIfi2QXe-bG0Dw&page=1&tbnh=92&tbnw=196&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:132

Above should be a picture of the Coral.

http://www.cma-cgm.com/ScriptLibrary/Download/Download.aspx?file=/Images/ContentManagement/ProductsServices/Tourism/Documents/cargo-cruises-information.pdf

This is hilarious. Do you think some of the high maintenance posters on here could ever hack a freighter? Thanks for the laugh:)

This is hilarious. Do you think some of the high maintenance posters on here could ever hack a freighter? Thanks for the laugh:)

actually you can book cruises on freighters and dine with the crew - why don't you try it?:D It's quite a blast. :):)

by the glasses you have = the ones in the bars and the MDR are significantly different than the ones you have in your room.

Trust me - everyone knows - including the wine steward:eek:

So all that you have to do is reuse a bar wine glass if they should question you at any time. (which I'm sure will never happen). I think most people on CC are to paranoid about things at times. I've never heard of any one being questioned and probably never will. :p

So all that you have to do is reuse a bar wine glass if they should question you at any time. (which I'm sure will never happen). I think most people on CC are to paranoid about things at times. I've never heard of any one being questioned and probably never will. :p

Wow, just don't understand why you would go to so much trouble to rip off the cruiseline. I hope that HAL pulls the plug on the unlimited wine:rolleyes:.

Sure - you can do it if you want. Unfortunately people who take that attitude will bring a demise to the policy.

I think HAL is very fair and the least we can do is honour the policy and enjoy the privileges that we receive from them:)

I can assure you I am not paranoid - I just appreciate their policy and respect it throughout the ship. Each to their own

Wow, just don't understand why you would go to so much trouble to rip off the cruiseline. I hope that HAL pulls the plug on the unlimited wine:rolleyes:.

I don't go to any trouble to "rip them off" as you say. I just enjoy my own wine & alcohol as I see fit, where I like to drink it. Just because other feel it necessary to subsidize the ships profits doesn't bother me in the slightest.

When I started this I had no idea it was such a devisive issue. I had no idea HAL had this policy until just two days ago. Just thought it might be something new. In any event we all no we all break rules and laws everyday. And yes many more restaurants now allow you to bring your own wine and most do not charge a corkage fee. I often choose restaurants because they offer this. I thought that HAL was and is very generous in allowing passangers to bring on wine. I just didn't realize we couldn't take it out of our room.

The waiters and bar staff on HAL ships earn the vast majority of their income from gratuities, including the 15% gratuity added to bar beverage purchases and corkage fees. To deprive them of income by bringing a glass of wine from one's room to dinner in order to avoid paying a gratuity is ... what word to use and still be nice? -- inconsiderate IMO.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but do you really think passengers drink their own wine in public areas simply to avoid paying a gratuity? My guess is that it's more likely that they prefer their own (otherwise unavailable) wine and/or, if savings are an issue, it's more likely that they want to save the difference between the cost and what HAL charges for the same or similar bottle of wine. If you're drinking a $20-30 bottle of wine per day, the cost difference alone probably runs several hundred dollars per cruise. The gratuity is not the issue.

I don't go to any trouble to "rip them off" as you say. I just enjoy my own wine & alcohol as I see fit, where I like to drink it. Just because other feel it necessary to subsidize the ships profits doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Subsidizing profits? That's a new concept to me. :rolleyes:

Cruise ships are out to make a profit, they are not charitable organizations. They provide services and charge fees. Part of alcohol sales subsidizes other activities and levels of comfort on the ship. so you like to experience what the ship has to offer but you don't really want to pay for it. The cruise fare by itself doesn't quite cover it.

I guess this is more for the upper class. I really can't see myself sitting on the bed in my inside room drinking wine I had to lug onboard. If could afford 100$ bottles of the stuff I would get a window!

I think if HAL had a less liberal wine policy maybe they would lower their prices to be in line more with Princess. If people keep trying to "work" the system maybe we'll see more reasonable prices because HAL will get fed up. That said, I don't think you generally have to pay $100 unless you're a bit of a wine snob.

Princess & Celebrity allow you to bring on wine, Disney allows you to bring on any spirits that you can carry on.

Celebrity allows you to bring 2 bottles. I "think" Princess is the same. I think HAL should adopt this policy too from the sounds of things.

So...........when you're home and decide to go out to dinner at a restaurant, do you take a glass of wine with you?

"Nuff" said!!

No but I pack my RumRunner for most other places where it's frowned upon to BYOB. Try it some time.

Subsidizing profits? That's a new concept to me. :rolleyes:

Cruise ships are out to make a profit, they are not charitable organizations. They provide services and charge fees. Part of alcohol sales subsidizes other activities and levels of comfort on the ship. so you like to experience what the ship has to offer but you don't really want to pay for it. The cruise fare by itself doesn't quite cover it.

That's nice to hear. It doesn't change my view about things in the least.

Princess & Celebrity allow you to bring on wine, Disney allows you to bring on any spirits that you can carry on.

Princess and Celebrity let you take a bottle or two. NOT cases. Disney cruises are way more expensive. Apples To harmonicas

One good thing coming out of all these wine discussions and folks wanting to punish even the law abiding for the transgressions of a few, I am finding out about other cruise lines' superior wine lists and equally good wine policies. That info might come in handy should some on this thread get their way.

Princess and Celebrity let you take a bottle or two. NOT cases. Disney cruises are way more expensive. Apples To harmonicas

Officially Princess says 1 bottle per person but NO ONE really listens to that suggestion. Most times they just roll a case of wine on board & check it in for delivery to the cabin. What they do as far a consuming it in they cabin is their business.

Archived