Princess Cruietour Questions about Fairbanks and Anchorage

Poodlesnoot

Hi,

I am doing a Princess 5 South Cruisetour next month and after having gone on the cruise personalizer and saw the itinerary, I am a bit dismayed that it listed "The Bear Lodge" as the hotel in Fairbanks and NOT the Princess Riverside lodge as the book implies on the begining of information about cruisetours.

Could anyone fill me in about the Bear Lodge and their experiences?

Also...there is incomplete information about the day in Anchorage before we embark upon the cruise. One place mentions a Native American Heritage tour and the other vaguely says sightseeing. If anyone is familiar with that days' shedule, I'd appreciate knowing more.

Cancell the land tour,rent a car,buy the milepost and toursaver book and have a great vacation doing WHAT YOU want,WHEN YOU want,WHERE YOU want and HOW YOU want and save alot of money for more fun things to do...keep reading here and you will learn alot. Have a great vacation and enjoy Alaska!! :)

I replied on the Princess board-

The Bear Lodge is a FREQUENT Princess cruisetour hotel, There are NO guarantees on lodging in Fairbanks as you will find out from your TA. The problems with the cruisetour locations- they aren't near much and cabs are necessary if you want to see Fairbanks- which few tours allow time for anyway. The Bear lodge is very nice, just not on the River. I too agree that the Denali Princess is the worse of their properties, only so so and the only option there. The McKinley Princess is very nice, but the location is in the middle of nowhere, McKinley is seldem visable and you need a 50 mile shuttle to do anything in Talkeetna- plan carefully. MOST important - be certain you have the Tundra Wilderness tour- the Natural History is completely worthless- so so scenery and likely no wildlife since you aren't going into the Park far enough. Budget 50% more for meals than you do at home, to allow for a cushion. It can be a great trip, don't worry about the lodging.

In Anchorage, you are on your own. Determine what are YOUR interests. The Native Museum is a top choice, but request their visitor guide and research http://www.anchorage.net a nice walking tour map of downtown is included. You probably will be scheduled for the transfer in the afternoon. So make the most of your short time here.

Cancell the land tour,rent a car,buy the milepost and toursaver book and have a great vacation doing WHAT YOU want,WHEN YOU want,WHERE YOU want and HOW YOU want and save alot of money for more fun things to do...keep reading here and you will learn alot. Have a great vacation and enjoy Alaska!! :)

For a departure next month when they are leaving the cost to cancel the land tour would be prohibitive. Unless there is clause in the Princess-run cancellation insurance (if they even have it) that allows you to cancel part of your package (the tour) and not the cruise.. But you would still only get a credit and not the $$ back.

Archived