Question for Equinox Med RECENT cruisers

24butterfly

Last year, they swapped out Naples for Salerno on our cruise. If you did have a stop in Naples, did they dock in Naples ? Or did they swap it out for Salerno? Ours is coming up--hope they don't swap!

May 11 cruise - docked in Naples.

Equinox docked in Naples. If I had any say in it, I would tender in Sorrento. Naples is a filthy city and very uninteresting. After half a morning walking in the city, we took the train to Ercolano and the bus (driven by Mario Andretti himself) up Mt Vesuvius.

The only good city experience we had, was the best pizza of our trip, on the way back from Porta Nolana station, along the Via Nuova Marina.

Equinox docked in Naples. If I had any say in it, I would tender in Sorrento. Naples is a filthy city and very uninteresting. After half a morning walking in the city, we took the train to Ercolano and the bus (driven by Mario Andretti himself) up Mt Vesuvius.

The only good city experience we had, was the best pizza of our trip, on the way back from Porta Nolana station, along the Via Nuova Marina.

While I agree that Naples is a dirty city, it DOES have the most amazing museum, the National Archaelogical Museum...in a building that is 400 years old and wonderful sculptures and displays from Ercolano, Pompeii, the Villa San Marco and so many others...it was wonderful and after spending our morning at Ercolano, having the best pizza ever in a little restaurant in downtown Naples we spent the afternoon at this museum....it was one of THE BEST days of our cruise.....:)

While I agree that Naples is a dirty city, it DOES have the most amazing museum, the National Archaelogical Museum...in a building that is 400 years old and wonderful sculptures and displays from Ercolano, Pompeii, the Villa San Marco and so many others...it was wonderful and after spending our morning at Ercolano, having the best pizza ever in a little restaurant in downtown Naples we spent the afternoon at this museum....it was one of THE BEST days of our cruise.....:)

We were on the May 11th sailing of the Equinox along with Robyn. We actually really enjoyed Naples. The Museum was fascinating. Please go with an open mind and enjoy the life of Naples and all that it has to offer.

Agree. Spent our port day at the museum to see all we'd missed the first time around.

I love Naples. There is such a vibrant mix of antiquity and modernity. Naples is brash, lively, and exotic, much like Little Italy in NYC, only you get layers of history dating back more than 2500 years.

While I agree that Naples is a dirty city, it DOES have the most amazing museum, the National Archaelogical Museum...in a building that is 400 years old and wonderful sculptures and displays from Ercolano, Pompeii, the Villa San Marco and so many others...:)

All of the great mosaics from Pompeii are there--The mosaics at the site are more than likely a replica--not the original.

Where is the museum and how do we get there? If we take a taxi, how long will it take to get there and what is a reasonable fare?Thanks

Hi Doreen-

It took about 20 minutes to get there from the port. It's a wonderful museum, probably the best we've seen on our two Med cruises.

Jeanne

Hi there,

Arrived back yesterday from Eastern med cruise on Equinox (sob!) and our final port was Naples. We've been before - yes it is grubby but interesting none the less. If you need to escape there are always the boats to Capri...

We have stopped in Naples 3 times. We had great times. We needed 3 visits to see everything. Richard

Just wanted to know if they were still docking in Naples.....I have the day planned out from there.....The cruise b4 us last year docked in Naples, and we docked in Salerno.....Would rather this not happen this trip (Salerno).....

Just wanted to know if they were still docking in Naples.....I have the day planned out from there.....The cruise b4 us last year docked in Naples, and we docked in Salerno.....Would rather this not happen this trip (Salerno).....

We were there last week and, yes, the Equinox still docked in Naples.

I wouldn't rely totally on Xs website either as it said we tendered in Athens (we docked) and would dock in Santorini (we tendered) - even several pre-cruise phone calls by some on our roll call got mixed answers from X. Because of strikes in Athens they also switched the day we were due to call there to the Sunday so we wouldn't be affected by the strikes.

Just interested - what's so bad about Salerno :confused:

I have to confess to having a real interest in this as my son will be spending a year at the University there next year!

Hi Jeanne, My computer has been down for 3 days! We are going on another cruise next June from Venice and one stop is Naples. Did you have a taxi lined up ahead to go to the Museum or did you get one when you left the ship? About how much was the taxi ride? I want to be prepared when they give us a charge. Thanks

Just interested - what's so bad about Salerno :confused:

I have to confess to having a real interest in this as my son will be spending a year at the University there next year!

Never said anything was bad about Salerno. If you go back and read my post, you will see that it said that I've planned our day from Naples. Salerno is about 30 miles from Naples.

We also got off the Equinox yesterday - we took a ferry to Sorrento and a train back. If they do move it - its closer to Sorrento than Naples and its much better than Naples

Did you take the hydrofoil over. Why not take it or the ferry back? Please tell me about the train ride? Does it let off near the ship?

Archived